Author Topic: Wingmen for 2012  (Read 5035 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Wingmen for 2012
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas.
Was told the other day that Newy was most likely moving to a wing in 2012. I personally think that's a great decision. He is quick, good overhead, wins contested footy and is a fantastic kick which our young forwards will love. May need to work on his fitness a little and get a different mind set in being a little more attacking but i think he will add something pretty special there.
Our wingmen of late have been those bits and pieces types in White, Edwards and Helbig but personally i think it is a really important attacking position that we haven't really utilized for a long time (except the Richo man a few years back)

What are peoples thoughts and is there anybody else that might be ideal for the other wing?

And is there anybody else that you can think of that could play a different role that they have been playing in the past?

For me i think Tuck could play CHF. A position that knowbody has really made there own just yet. He played there in the third quarter in the last game of the year against North and i think he did a really good job.(take a look if you have it IQ-ed) He is tall, strong, has good hands, presents really well, is a pretty good set shot at goal and will give you 100% effort all day every day.
Kick the ball to Tucky and you know he will either take the grab or bring the ball to the deck ready for our small forwards.
Thoughts? and any other ideas?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Wingmen for 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
doesnt suprise to hear this coz it appears we have recruited upteen HBF in recent drafts, with Morris and Ellis likely to get a run and bachelor a lock down there with houli then it releases someone like Newy and Lids to a more attacking role..Bring it on I say...tbh Newy has always suited more of an offensive role with the knock on his game the ability to really lock down on an opponent
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
Would love Newy on the wing and Lids in the middle as long as Ellis and Morris can filled those voids in defence. I don't really want Tuck in the side though  8)

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:21:01 PM »
You like giving the opposition a 20-30pt headstart?

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
Was told the other day that Newy was most likely moving to a wing in 2012. I personally think that's a great decision. He is quick, good overhead, wins contested footy and is a fantastic kick which our young forwards will love. May need to work on his fitness a little and get a different mind set in being a little more attacking but i think he will add something pretty special there.
Our wingmen of late have been those bits and pieces types in White, Edwards and Helbig but personally i think it is a really important attacking position that we haven't really utilized for a long time (except the Richo man a few years back)
How reliable?  Someone from the club? :)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
Would love Newy on the wing and Lids in the middle as long as Ellis and Morris can filled those voids in defence. I don't really want Tuck in the side though  8)

That is the $64m question. HB is a critical playmaker role nowadays and elite ball users are normally back there to set up the i50s.

Good topic though.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
I heard from the coaches that Lids was definitely moving into the midfield but hadn't heard anything about Newy as well. Wouldn't moving both Newy and Lids, leaving a very inexperienced half-backline to shoulder the defensive responsibility, be a little too much all at once. Batchelor is a baby and just coming into his second year while Ellis hasn't even played a game. Dea is wet behind the ears and even Houli has only played a few games in this position. Makes me uncomfortable giving so much responsibility to so many so young and leaving us with so little leadership support to the backline brigade.

May well happen as their has been a great deal of talk of having Dea cement his place as a small defenders next year along with Batchelor and Houli so some players will have to move.

I'm not a big fan of Tucky going forward. This is not because he couldn't do it but because he is needed to win us the ball at stoppages and allow players like Griffiths/Post/etc to develop in the CHF role.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:50:30 PM »
I heard from the coaches that Lids was definitely moving into the midfield but hadn't heard anything about Newy as well. Wouldn't moving both Newy and Lids, leaving a very inexperienced half-backline to shoulder the defensive responsibility, be a little too much all at once. Batchelor is a baby and just coming into his second year while Ellis hasn't even played a game. Dea is wet behind the ears and even Houli has only played a few games in this position. Makes me uncomfortable giving so much responsibility to so many so young and leaving us with so little leadership support to the backline brigade.

May well happen as their has been a great deal of talk of having Dea cement his place as a small defenders next year along with Batchelor and Houli so some players will have to move.

I'm not a big fan of Tucky going forward. This is not because he couldn't do it but because he is needed to win us the ball at stoppages and allow players like Griffiths/Post/etc to develop in the CHF role.

Good post and totally agree and i will add Tuck's kicking isnt the best for a CHF role

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »

Hopefully Tuck's not in the side next year. Then I'll know we have really improved.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
i'd prefer to see jackson gone before tuck.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
Put Edwards on the wing, he has improved his fitness and bulked up, if he can get his kicking sorted out..........who knows...
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »
Put Jackson on the wing.

Good link up player with a deadly accurate kick  :thumbsup

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »

Nah Jacko is improving. Has a good 5 years ahead. Tuck just keep kicking shockers

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »

Both are hopefully upgraded in 2012.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
How reliable?  Someone from the club? :)
Not at the club anymore, but still speaks to some players.  :thumbsup