Author Topic: Routers vs Switches  (Read 1198 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Routers vs Switches
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Can anybody tell me  (in layman's terms ) the difference between routers and switches?

:cheers

dwaino

Re: Routers vs Switches
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
The very question means if you're comparing the two then definitely go for a router :p.

A router acts as the central LAN point and gateway to the net. A switch and/or hub configuration requires one computer to act as the router and would require multiple network adapters to serve both LAN and WAN (since it is acting as the gateway and central hub point). Routers are handy due to in built firewalls in the firmware so you don't risk putting a gateway computer in the DMZ.

A pro can feel free to correct me, I'm a hobbyist and not a network/computer tech :p

Appendix:
LAN- local area network
WAN- wide area network
DMZ- demilitarised zone ie raw unprotected interwebs

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »

Can anybody tell me  (in layman's terms ) the difference between routers and switches?

:cheers

65, To complicate things you can actually get switches that route. They are called layer 3 switches.

But let me put it in simple terms...

Routing is the transferring of data between segregated or separated networks whereas a switch communicates data to computers and peripherals within each network.

For example, lets say you have a network at home on an IP address range of 10.10.0.0 to 10.10.0.254.

Now your network is private (or at least i am hoping so)
Lets say you have two computers connected to your internet modem, which is in all likelihood a combined switch/router/firewall. One computer has an IP address of 10.10.0.2 and the other has an IP address of 10.10.0.3. Now you want to transfer files from one computer to another. As they are both on your private network it uses "switching" to do so. Now lets say you want to go onto the internet to browse OER. The computer or server that OER is on has an IP address of 203.123.59.210. That address is obviously not part of your home network so your computer goes looking for it and the first place you hit is what is called your "default gateway" or "router". This is actually your internet modem switch/router/firewall. From where I live, in order for me to get to OER, I have to travel through 13 routers or 13 different networks before I get there.

I could go on but I'll let you digest things first  :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
This is ironic and possibly a situation where the ignore filter has its disadvantages.

Could someone pleas let 65 know that I have responded to his request for info on routers and switches and that he will have to unblock me from his ignore list if he is to read it.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:49 PM »
This is ironic and possibly a situation where the ignore filter has its disadvantages.

Could someone pleas let 65 know that I have responded to his request for info on routers and switches and that he will have to unblock me from his ignore list if he is to read it.

consider it done   :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »

Done ( just remember you are on probation  :lol )

:thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

Done ( just remember you are on probation  :lol )

:thumbsup
Roadrunner, I promise to keep my box of Acme destructive devices in the cupboard for a while if you stop poking your tongue out at me and saying Beep Beep.  ;D

Signed,

Coyote.  :cheers

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »

consider it done   :thumbsup
Thanks 632  :thumbsup