Author Topic: Edwards appreciation thread  (Read 21414 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Edwards appreciation thread
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
100 games in and still playing at the same level he was playing at 12 seasons ago.

A 100 more than you Coach! :lol

You have played as many games at AFL level as I have, so pipe down aye cocky.  :thumbsup

100 games in and still playing at the same level he was playing at 12 seasons ago.

A 100 more than you Coach! :lol

Yeah coach! How are the Bagdad 3rds going these days anyway?? :whistle

Bagdad  :lol they have a side? How's Deloraines under 14s?

dwaino

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
A diamond in the rough  :shh

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
You want to know why Titch gets a game?

He does do what the coach asks of him every week, follows the game plan and works his frikin behind off for his team mates.

His work off the ball is what a lot here don't see. The unglamorous stuff that any coach loves in footballers.
Covering for players, standing in gaps, pressurising the opposition, working the corridor up and down..
He has an excellent tank and busts his behind defensively all game when guys like Martin, Maric & Riewoldt are sucking for air at the end of a match.

Another of Shane's strengths is that he takes risks. This can look bad if it goes wrong which many focus on but equally it can look fantastic when it comes off.
His hands are elite. Unlike someone like Jackson, Edwards has a VERY good footy nous and regularly sets up play which results in attacking passages of footy for the Tiges. When Cotchin kicks that goal, the guy who gave it off is often Shane.

Sure he has weaknesses. His footskills do let him down too often and he's not winning enough of the pill but he is nowhere near as bad a player as he's portrayed as by some on here otherwise he'd have been delisted as one of the 30 odd players who've departed in the last couple of years.

He may be upgraded in time but for now he is in our best 22 and still may improve yet.
Dimma's a fan and he's popular with his team mates.
Hope he has a great season culminating in playing finals.

Some of us actually do appreciate him.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »

He does do what the coach asks of him every week, follows the game plan and works his frikin behind off for his team mates.

His work off the ball is what a lot here don't see. The unglamorous stuff that any coach loves in footballers.
Covering for players, standing in gaps, pressurising the opposition, working the corridor up and down..
He has an excellent tank and busts his behind defensively all game when guys like Martin, Maric & Riewoldt are sucking for air at the end of a match.

Another of Shane's strengths is that he takes risks. This can look bad if it goes wrong which many focus on but equally it can look fantastic when it comes off.
His hands are elite. Unlike someone like Jackson, Edwards has a VERY good footy nous and regularly sets up play which results in attacking passages of footy for the Tiges. When Cotchin kicks that goal, the guy who gave it off is often Shane.

Sure he has weaknesses. His footskills do let him down too often and he's not winning enough of the pill but he is nowhere near as bad a player as he's portrayed as by some on here otherwise he'd have been delisted as one of the 30 odd players who've departed in the last couple of years.

He may be upgraded in time but for now he is in our best 22 and still may improve yet.

Wrong thread. Wrong site. Take it elsewhere please. K thnx.

gerkin greg

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
Agree with most of that Magic, I was a fan early doors but he just hasn't come on as hoped. Went backwards last year.

The thing is where as previously he was average but probably 10-15 on our list, he is now 20-25 on the list. That's a good thing. If he doesn't improve he will go out the back door pretty quick now.

Just look at Dookieberry clinging onto the bowl for proof

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »

He has an excellent tank and busts his behind defensively all game when guys like Martin, Maric &
Riewoldt are sucking for air at the end of a match.

Wots that? A considered yet contrary post?
Funny.
Are you the dude that pots y&b because they all "toe the company line"
Ironical.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »

He has an excellent tank and busts his behind defensively all game when guys like Martin, Maric &
Riewoldt are sucking for air at the end of a match.

Wots that? A considered yet contrary post?
Funny.
Are you the dude that pots y&b because they all "toe the company line"
Ironical.

Yellowandback, we suggest you set out to get along with other posters on this avoid praising Edwards.

You have been placed on moderated posting until further notice.

Cheers,

The OER team. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
Back to the topic ppl! We don't care what other sites did or didn't do. Leave it off OER.

Ox

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
i think once u have shanked X amount of kicks at this level,you'll shank x as many more.

Negative.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »
Stop potting Y&B. Good blokes over there

Agree, Oxx. Sometimes things just don't magically click for blokes who have already been around for years with 100 or so games under their belt

gerkin greg

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
Agree, Oxx. Sometimes things just don't magically click for blokes who have already been around for years with 100 or so games under their belt

Yep, as much chance of Edwards becoming a better player now as we have of beating Geelong this week.

Having said that I expect to see Shed running around for Richmond for the next 4 years at least  :lol

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2012, 06:53:05 AM »
Great forward press Gents, Mickey Malthouse would be proud  ;D

Shane Edwards plays like a fast bowler who can't consistently hit a decent line
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline magic17

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Some of the comments in this thread are a disgrace.
Shane Edwards does have deficiencies with disposal on the odd occasion, however he gives it everything he's got when he runs out for the Y&B... he runs all day, is great in contested situations and never hesitates to put his head over he ball... something I suspect all posters on this site would baulk at. >:(

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
Some of the comments in this thread are a disgrace.
Shane Edwards does have deficiencies with disposal on the odd occasion, however he gives it everything he's got when he runs out for the Y&B... he runs all day, is great in contested situations and never hesitates to put his head over he ball... something I suspect all posters on this site would baulk at. >:(

There you have all been told now go get a life

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

I agree Magic. Edwards does some brilliant things on the field at times, things that no other Tiger can do. He just needs to do them more often. Sure his accuracy by foot needs to improve but his reflexes and ability to get out of tricky situations is exceptional.