Author Topic: Cloke??  (Read 117667 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cloke??
« Reply #360 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Jack aside, when you look at our alternative tall forward options, I am staggered there are people who wouldn't want Cloke at Richmond.

I think you will find that the real objection to cloke is not the player himself but the "PRICE TAG AND TERM" that is hanging around his neck. Cloke is NOT worth that price and term. Richmond would be foolish and incompetent dealing with such crap.

So you wouldn't want Buddy, Roughy or Tippett on that long a deal? Cos they're the same age.
The term is only a problem if he gets injured and yet we just gave out a five year deal to a player (Lids) this year, like a few other clubs.

The other point you don't mention Mr M is that Cloke was Collingwoods leading goalkicker last year in a grand final team. 

tony_montana

« Reply #361 on: July 26, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Best contested mark in the game and also loves the long leads to the wings to give his team mates an option as they stream out of defence. Its not often you can get one of the top fwds in the prime of his life for no draft picks. Cloke and Reiwoldt up fwd getting fed by one of the top handful of midfields in the comp - yeah um lets think about it..

Get it done FFS!

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:21 PM »
geez everyone makes valid points for either
side in regards to recruiting Cloke.

undecided myself but do have a fear
of this football club shooting itself in the foot
in these situations.

mixed signals coming from the tee pee at
tigerland, wonder who is running the agenda. :gotigers

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #363 on: July 27, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Jack aside, when you look at our alternative tall forward options, I am staggered there are people who wouldn't want Cloke at Richmond.

I think you will find that the real objection to cloke is not the player himself but the "PRICE TAG AND TERM" that is hanging around his neck. Cloke is NOT worth that price and term. Richmond would be foolish and incompetent dealing with such crap.

So you wouldn't want Buddy, Roughy or Tippett on that long a deal? Cos they're the same age.
The term is only a problem if he gets injured and yet we just gave out a five year deal to a player (Lids) this year, like a few other clubs.

The other point you don't mention Mr M is that Cloke was Collingwoods leading goalkicker last year in a grand final team. 

Certainly wouldn't want Tippett for that long. I hate that prick. gotta be the most overrated bloke.
would still take him at tigerland though ;D

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:50 AM »

undecided myself but do have a fear
of this football club shooting itself in the foot
in these situations.

And that's what we all fear.
The ones who are against just know it'll go wrong based on all those years gone by.
The ones for it are screwing up their courage for one last gamble to pull off a big win.
Bang or wimper?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Giants eye Cloke as Tigers brood (Australian)
« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
Giants eye Cloke as Tigers brood

by: Greg Denham
    July 27, 2012

THE fallout from Collingwood's halt in negotiations with Travis Cloke has got Kevin Sheedy very excited but fellow coach Damien Hardwick is taking a more softly-softly approach.

Greater Western Sydney coach Sheedy says the Giants are back in the race to sign Cloke, while Richmond counterpart Hardwick was measured on any bid by the Tigers to secure the soon-to-be out of contract key forward.

Giants chief executive David Matthews announced in May his club would not be chasing Cloke, who becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season and is seeking a four to five-year deal.

But the Magpies' decision on Monday to put contract talks on hold has resurrected interest from GWS, according to Sheedy.

"If he doesn't sign a contract, I reckon there's a few clubs out there and we'll have to definitely have a look at him," Sheedy said. "Because we can't just sit on our hands if he doesn't come to terms.

"That style of player put the Swans on the map. Look at (Tony) Lockett and Barry Hall.

"So it's quite amazing how things venture out. It looks like a long and drawn out contractual problem."

Sheedy said the Giants would have a chance to see Cloke first-hand tomorrow when the two clubs meet at Skoda Stadium.

"You've got Cloke coming up to play and he's off contract," Sheedy said. "It's not often a team has a player off contract and they fly him up for us to come and see. That's pretty generous from Collingwood. There will be a tour (of the Giants' accommodation at Breakfast Point). Don't worry about that.

"We'll make sure the bus gets sidetracked. We might get the bus driver to accidentally turn down the wrong street -- it's only seven minutes away from here."

Sheedy said he had no concerns with the recent form slump of Cloke, whose output this year in disposals, marks and goals are all lower than last season.

"I never worry about form. He's a very strong, powerful contested key forward, and they're the sort of people that are drawcards," he said. "If we want to build up our attendance here, in the end we've got to bring drawcards along as well."

The four-time premiership coach warned there could be more twists and turns in the Cloke saga.

"Collingwood are probably saying they've got the grip right there where they feel like they want it," he said. "But just remember what happened with Richmond and Collingwood. They thought they had (Travis's father) David Cloke and Geoff Raines.

"They walked out on Richmond years ago and I don't think Richmond's ever been that good since. It's a difficult problem for clubs and managers."

Hardwick yesterday said the Tigers would like to recruit Cloke, "as would every club", but there were dangers in putting all the club's energy and resources into signing a big name. "You can get one big fish, but the fact is there are two or three who can float out the other way," he said.

Hardwick backed the club's recent policy of recruiting mid-range players to top off areas of need. "We target players who we think are going to take the club forward," he said.

"The addition of Ivan Maric, the addition of Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli, Steve Morris, I think we've got a pretty good strike rate in that regard."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/giants-eye-cloke-as-tigers-brood/story-fnca0u4y-1226436183860

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: July 27, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
i have a question. can anyone tell me if you are allowed to take more than one player in free agency?   i ask this because we have made inquireies about troy chaplin. geez cloke and chaplin at no real cost other than an inflated wage would really shore up both the forward and defensive structure.it would leave us free to target mids mids and more mids in the nd.

You can theoretically delist you team and pick up 40 free agents if you want. We could probably just afford Cloke and Chaplin. Not sure we could then convince Caddy to come to us over other clubs. If we're raiding GC take 1 of their delisted kids. They become Free Agents too just so people are aware. GC fans talking about Hayden Jolly and Piers Flanagan as possible delists.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #368 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:06 AM »
When we started the FTF one of the main reasons was to provide money to buy a big target free agent.
has this ever been said, or is it just your interpretation?

Al, one of the remaining aims of FTF beyond what the AFL has given in equalisation funds is to "pay 100% of the salary cap and be favourably placed for the introduction of free agency"   
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/FTFTheRoadAhead/tabid/17127/Default.aspx

favourably placed could mean a number of things.

1. be in a position to protect our own interets, ie not get poached. (this was mentioned only in the last few days in an interview, but i cant recall if it was march, cameron or gale who said it)

2. be in a position to poach someone else
or
3. a combination of both.

as far as i know, the club has never made the statememnt that FTF was to be used specifically for targeting a big name player from other clubs. It's just people's take on a broad statement.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »
"You've got Cloke coming up to play and he's off contract," Sheedy said. "It's not often a team has a player off contract and they fly him up for us to come and see. That's pretty generous from Collingwood. There will be a tour (of the Giants' accommodation at Breakfast Point). Don't worry about that.
:lol @ sheedy
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
Have any of the Cloke boys been any good after their 25 th birthday? That's my main concern.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #371 on: July 27, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
When we started the FTF one of the main reasons was to provide money to buy a big target free agent.
has this ever been said, or is it just your interpretation?

Al, one of the remaining aims of FTF beyond what the AFL has given in equalisation funds is to "pay 100% of the salary cap and be favourably placed for the introduction of free agency"   
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/FTFTheRoadAhead/tabid/17127/Default.aspx

favourably placed could mean a number of things.

1. be in a position to protect our own interets, ie not get poached. (this was mentioned only in the last few days in an interview, but i cant recall if it was march, cameron or gale who said it)

2. be in a position to poach someone else
or
3. a combination of both.

as far as i know, the club has never made the statememnt that FTF was to be used specifically for targeting a big name player from other clubs. It's just people's take on a broad statement.

It's a statement you can take anyway you want that's for sure.
However Cloke or no Cloke, I'm happy for the club to use the money as they see fit.
I gave that money unconditionally to the club having faith in the current administration to make a decision in our best interests.
I trust them to make the decision that's best whatever it is.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #372 on: July 27, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »
Have any of the Cloke boys been any good after their 25 th birthday? That's my main concern.

The other two were no good before their 25th bday.

Don't let that worry you.

Mind you, it won't happen anyway.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #373 on: July 27, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Mind you, it won't happen anyway.

Breaking news Damo?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »

Were the other 2 ever any good?   :whistle