Author Topic: Cloke??  (Read 117655 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cloke??
« Reply #375 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
When we started the FTF one of the main reasons was to provide money to buy a big target free agent.
has this ever been said, or is it just your interpretation?

Al, one of the remaining aims of FTF beyond what the AFL has given in equalisation funds is to "pay 100% of the salary cap and be favourably placed for the introduction of free agency"   
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/FTFTheRoadAhead/tabid/17127/Default.aspx

favourably placed could mean a number of things.

1. be in a position to protect our own interets, ie not get poached. (this was mentioned only in the last few days in an interview, but i cant recall if it was march, cameron or gale who said it)

2. be in a position to poach someone else
or
3. a combination of both.

as far as i know, the club has never made the statememnt that FTF was to be used specifically for targeting a big name player from other clubs. It's just people's take on a broad statement.

It's a statement you can take anyway you want that's for sure.
However Cloke or no Cloke, I'm happy for the club to use the money as they see fit.
I gave that money unconditionally to the club having faith in the current administration to make a decision in our best interests.
I trust them to make the decision that's best whatever it is.

I agree with both al & Mr Magic

Personally, I never believed the statement "be favourably placed for the introduction of free agency" meant they would go after ever big fish on the market, I just took it to mean they would be ready for FA and have every angle covered. And it would mean we would look at all FAs and target those that fit a need for us.

And just on young Travis who I think seriously needs to grow up; I would have only one question for him "what exactly do YOU want? Not interested in what your old man tells us you want, not interested in what your old man clearly wants, just want to know Travis wants. Stupid Travis should answer that without his old man & mother around and then just do it.  Pretty simple really

Personally I don't think he is worth the amounts that are being bandied about. If you compare Cloke to say Jonathon Brown at the same age then I reckon travis Cloke is a fair way behind, hence my views on the $$

Now if the the bit about the 5th year incentive clauses are correct all that says to me is Travis isn't prepared to back himself and his ability in and it reeks of greed.... but sadly that seems to be the Cloke way
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #376 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
"You've got Cloke coming up to play and he's off contract," Sheedy said. "It's not often a team has a player off contract and they fly him up for us to come and see. That's pretty generous from Collingwood. There will be a tour (of the Giants' accommodation at Breakfast Point). Don't worry about that.
:lol @ sheedy

:lol

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: July 27, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Not sure he can command $1m on the market for much longer. It looks as if Collingwood is signing up everyone else, so once end of season comes, they may not be able to offer him anything over $500k. Surely that will have an effect on what other clubs are throwing at him?

Also, isn't McGuane on $350k+ a year? Surely moving him on will free up a fair bit of cash for Cloke?  :rollin

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #378 on: July 27, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
I think we've got plenty of room in the cap regardless of McGuane JVT.  Our biggest problem has been paying enough to reach the minimum as I understand it.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #379 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
I think we've got plenty of room in the cap regardless of McGuane JVT.  Our biggest problem has been paying enough to reach the minimum as I understand it.
I agree, but just pointing out with McG leaving, his $800k price tag all of a sudden doesnt look that bad, what would it be, $500k a year with McG's packet going to him?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
"You've got Cloke coming up to play and he's off contract," Sheedy said. "It's not often a team has a player off contract and they fly him up for us to come and see. That's pretty generous from Collingwood. There will be a tour (of the Giants' accommodation at Breakfast Point). Don't worry about that.

Who gave this guy permission to pipe up?? Sit back down unless you can contribute please... :angel:

tony_montana

« Reply #381 on: July 27, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »
I agree, but just pointing out with McG leaving, his $800k price tag all of a sudden doesnt look that bad, what would it be, $500k a year with McG's packet going to him?

i like the way you roll JVT   :cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #382 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
Im starting to come around.

Welcome punt road trav

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »

Who gave this guy permission to pipe up??

Big Pappi I believe.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »

For sure.   :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
What do the current players make of mcgaune jackson and grahsm being on the list?

if cloke leaves collingwood he will go to the highest bidder. to get him we would have  pay way over his worth.

don't forget what effect this would have on current team members. lids signed a five year contract worth what he probably could have got on a three contract on the open market.

bringing in someone like coke on a hugely inflated contract wouldn't sit well amongst the players, IMO

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
Was thinking this morning about who would really be serious about Cloke.
I tend to dismiss Freo as has Travis.
The same with Melbourne since I can't see them justifying another big pay packet after Clark last year.
Don't think he'll go to an expansion club since it will be too hard.
Carlton is a big chance but you would wonder how they could pay for it.

Carlton would be very close to the salary cap but they have three highly paid ruckmen under contract. Kreuzer and Warnock signed new 3 year deals this year while Hampson signed a 3 year deal end of last year. There could be a trade done where Carlton get Travis and swap Warnock to Collingwood. It would ease the pressure on Carlton's cap but suit Collingwood in replacing Jolly. Then Carlton may be forced to let McLean's contract run out this year to cover the rest of Travis's wage. Would Collingwood be that pragmatic or would they play hardball with Carlton? 

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #387 on: July 27, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
Carlton via visy dont need to stick to the salary cap.

Move mclean onto a made up greenie job and they open up half mill

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #388 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
favourably placed could mean a number of things.

1. be in a position to protect our own interets, ie not get poached. (this was mentioned only in the last few days in an interview, but i cant recall if it was march, cameron or gale who said it)

2. be in a position to poach someone else
or
3. a combination of both.

as far as i know, the club has never made the statememnt that FTF was to be used specifically for targeting a big name player from other clubs. It's just people's take on a broad statement.

It's a statement you can take anyway you want that's for sure.
However Cloke or no Cloke, I'm happy for the club to use the money as they see fit.
I gave that money unconditionally to the club having faith in the current administration to make a decision in our best interests.
I trust them to make the decision that's best whatever it is.
I agree with both al & Mr Magic

Personally, I never believed the statement "be favourably placed for the introduction of free agency" meant they would go after ever big fish on the market, I just took it to mean they would be ready for FA and have every angle covered. And it would mean we would look at all FAs and target those that fit a need for us.

And just on young Travis who I think seriously needs to grow up; I would have only one question for him "what exactly do YOU want? Not interested in what your old man tells us you want, not interested in what your old man clearly wants, just want to know Travis wants. Stupid Travis should answer that without his old man & mother around and then just do it.  Pretty simple really

Personally I don't think he is worth the amounts that are being bandied about. If you compare Cloke to say Jonathon Brown at the same age then I reckon travis Cloke is a fair way behind, hence my views on the $$

Now if the the bit about the 5th year incentive clauses are correct all that says to me is Travis isn't prepared to back himself and his ability in and it reeks of greed.... but sadly that seems to be the Cloke way

Agree
I dont know if I like this idea anymore, lets look at it for what it is.
If he stays with collingwood they probably have another 3 year window to grab a couple of flags  :help yep thats what I think
He is purely leaving to make money, we have to be careful  :shh

Edtied to correct multiple quotes  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:56:03 PM by WilliamPowell »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #389 on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
Big Pappi