Author Topic: Richmond vs Hawthorn game thread  (Read 18061 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Hawthorn game thread
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
MCG website says they are expecting a crowd of 50k on Saturday ...

Event:                    AFL Round 9
Teams:                  Richmond v Hawthorn
Date:                     Saturday May 26, 2012
Start time:              1.45pm

Gate opening:
Public/AFL members: 11.30am
MCC members: 11.00am

Car park opening:
Gate 3: 7.00am
Gate 5: 9.00am
Gate 6: 10.00am
Gate 7: 9.00am (media, corporate and disabled pass holders only)

Expected attendance: 50,000

Tickets:
Public reserved seats are on sale through Ticketek here.

MCC visitor tickets and reserved seats are on sale through Ticketek here.

General admission areas:

Ponsford Stand
M28 - M36
Q29 - Q36

Olympic Stand
Q49 - Q57

Great Southern Stand
M1 - M4
P1 - P8
Q1 - Q15

*These bays are subject to change, depending on pre-purchased reserved seat sales.

View MCG conditions of entry

Cheersquad Allocations:

- Richmond (M3 and M4, Rows A-K)
- Hawthorn (M33 Rows A-S)

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcoming%20Events/Event%20Details.aspx?eid=bf350734-4021-43f5-9f4d-417d110a7b34
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:44:17 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
AFL site is tipping the Hawks by 22 pts...

Preview: Richmond v Hawthorn
By Paul Daffey
Tue 22 May, 2012

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday, May 26, 1.45pm
LAST TIME: Hawthorn 17.13 (115) d Richmond 6.16 (52), round three, 2011 at the MCG

The ladder suggests a win for Hawthorn, who sits sixth (5-3) on the ladder while Richmond is 13th (3-5), but the Tigers are given a chance because of its record of pushing fancied rivals this season. Richmond has been in with a chance in all five losses only to slip up through lapses in concentration. Hawthorn has recovered from its letdown against the Sydney Swans in round five by recording strong wins over St Kilda, Melbourne and Fremantle.

THE FOUR POINTS

RICHMOND

1. Of all the weeks to miss Dylan Grimes through injury, this is the worst. Grimes was a revelation before tearing his hamstring during the loss against Essendon last week. His 54 marks before the Essendon game ranked him in the competition's top 10, highlighting his transition from being a pure stopper to a player capable of taking intercept marks and beginning counter-attacks. Grimes this week would have shared defensive duties with Alex Rance against the mighty duo of Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead. His absence means Jake Batchelor will push up to become the second tall defender or Ben Griffiths will be promoted from the Coburg Tigers.

2. A telling statistic from last weekend's 19-point loss to Essendon is the fact that tall forwards contributed only two of Richmond's 15 goals, with Jack Riewoldt and Brad Miller kicking one each. Midfielders Trent Cotchin (three goals), Dustin Martin (two) and Brett Deledio (one) were dangerous while rotating through full-forward, but the Tigers are going to need more from their tall forwards if they're to achieve sustainable success.

3. Essendon ruckmen Tom Bellchambers and Paddy Ryder were well on top in the first half last weekend, but Richmond big man Ivan Maric hit back to such an extent that he was ranked among the top few on the ground by the final siren. Maric faces lesser opponents this week: David Hale will be the Hawks' main ruckman, with Jarryd Roughead providing basic relief. The way appears to be clear for Maric to continue the form that would have him ranked highly in the Tigers' best and fairest award.

4. Richmond is said to be basing its game-plan on the Hawthorn model, which requires precise kicking out of defence and through the midfield. Statistics somewhat support this view, with both teams ranked high for disposals (Richmond second, Hawthorn fifth) and marks (Richmond third, Hawthorn fourth). The damning area for both clubs is clearances. Hawthorn is ranked 12th while Richmond is 18th. Both teams would do well to concentrate on getting the ball in tight as well as disposing of it out wide.

HAWTHORN
1. Hawthorn has won six of its seven clashes against Richmond since 2005. The only loss in that time was in round 20, 2008, which served as a wake-up call ahead of a successful finals campaign. The Hawks' 63-point win in the teams' only clash last season was the biggest margin between the sides since Richmond won by 76 points in round 15, 1997.

2. The Hawks' midfielders have lifted their form at stoppages in the past fortnight. After winning the clearance count in only one of their first six matches, Hawthorn thrashed the Demons 40-22 in round seven and Fremantle 48-24 last week. Liam Shiels had to warm into the season after missing rounds one and two with a quad injury, but he's had 13 clearances in the past two weeks and is hitting the form that made him one of the game's most improved players last year.

3. Clinton Young had 20 kicks last week in his 100th game, the second-most of his career and the most since round 12, 2006 against Richmond. The free-wheeling left-footer has been given a licence to kick by coach Alastair Clarkson and he's used it - he had only five handballs. With Isaac Smith playing a similar role on the opposite wing, the Hawks have two players who can find space and drive the ball inside forward 50 with great effect.

4. Acting captain Jordan Lewis has been outstanding this season. He has collected the scalps of some of the game's most damaging players, including St Kilda's Nick Dal Santo in round six and Stephen Hill last week, while at the same time hurting the opposition on the scoreboard. The 26-year-old has booted at least one goal in 10 of his past 11 matches. Tigers star Trent Cotchin shapes as a likely match-up on Saturday.

AFL.com.au prediction: Hawthorn by 22 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/136571/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:08:01 AM »
Bookies and Journos all have the Hawks overwhelming favourites ...

Richmond    $3.55
Hawthorn    $1.30

Source: TAB Sportsbet

"Expert" journo tips

Herald-Sun   28-2
The Age       22-2 .... Richo has tipped us  :thumbsup

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
We're due for a downer, all these close losses eventually take their toll mentally, got a feeling we'll get flogged

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hawks coach warn of Tigers' powers (Age)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
Hawks coach warn of Tigers' powers
Greg Buckle
The Age
May 25, 2012 - 12:59PM

Richmond might be 13th on the AFL ladder but they're No.1 for uncontested possessions and Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson has warned his side of the dangers of allowing the Tigers to get their running game going.

Sixth-placed Hawthorn have an edge in experience ahead of Saturday's round-nine clash at the MCG against the up-and-coming Tigers, but Clarkson says ruckman Ivan Maric has made a big difference to Richmond since crossing from Adelaide this season.

"They've got potent forwards. They've brought (Ty) Vickery back into their side this week who can do some real damage in the front end of the ground as well," Clarkson said on Friday.

"If we allow them to get some free ball on the outside they can be quite damaging.

"If Richmond win that midfield battle it will make it very difficult for us.

"We're very mindful that they've got a very powerful midfield in particular and a ruckman who's in stellar form for them in Maric who has been a great inclusion to their club.

"We've got a lot of respect for 'Dimma' (Richmond coach Damien Hardwick) and his coaching staff and the way they've gone about it.

"They've really built well over the last three years.

"We also like to think our experience and knowledge of Richmond will help us get over the line tomorrow."

While the Hawks are unchanged, Richmond have recalled ruck/forward Vickery and key-position player Ben Griffiths for Brad Miller and injured defender Dylan Grimes.

Clarkson said apart from the midfield led by Trent Cotchin, Richmond's percentage of 102.96 showed their defence was holding up well.

Richmond's backline will be stretched against tall forwards Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and ruck/forward David Hale.

In contrast, Clarkson is celebrating having Josh Gibson and Stephen Gilham both fit and playing alongside each other in defence.

"All of the sides who seriously challenge at the end of the year have to have really stable and strong defences," Clarkson said.

"We think we structure up quite well when they're both playing. But they've only been doing it again for the last two games."

Clarkson, who was an assistant coach at Port Adelaide in 2004 when Hardwick was playing at the club, says the pair's friendship will mean little on Saturday.

"We spend a lot of time together. Our girls play in basketball sides together so we still see each other two or three times a week," Clarkson said.

"We've got a great friendship but that all goes out the window when you're competing against each other."

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/afl-hawks-coach-warn-of-tigers-powers-20120525-1z99x.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
From RFC Twitter:

Weather Update: Tomorrow's "Before the Pounce" which was due to kick off at 11am has been cancelled due to weather

2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Roar Preview: Round 9 (RFC)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
VIDEO: Roar Preview of the Hawks game with Richo and Brendon Lade ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/453150/default.aspx

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
We're due for a downer, all these close losses eventually take their toll mentally, got a feeling we'll get flogged

Understand the logic, but have a gut feel we will bring home the chocolates  ;)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »

I'm with Tony on this one I've got a bad vibe about this.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »

Hope I'm right  :gotigers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

Hope I'm right  :gotigers

x2 Dooks

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 08:25:53 PM »
I hope your right too chief!  :gotigers

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

Feel free to go the jugular in 24 hrs if I'm not.....I'm sure I'll find a way to explain my way out....or something like that  ;D  :gotigers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »

Feel free to go the jugular in 24 hrs if I'm not.....I'm sure I'll find a way to explain my way out....or something like that  ;D  :gotigers

Duly noted. :thumbsup

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »

Just go the ignore button  :cheers