Author Topic: No round 1 games at the 'G next year? / Opener with carlton could be moved.  (Read 8005 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL players are increasingly optimistic of winning a second bye next season, bringing into question the use of the MCG for the opening round.

AFL Players' Association executive Ian Prendergast said there were "some positive noises coming out of the AFL", after a meeting with league officials yesterday at which a two-bye season was discussed.

The AFL does not want the season to extend into October and Prendergast said that would mean starting the season a week earlier, when the MCG is still in the custody of Cricket Victoria.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/afl-admits-fixtures-a-worry-for-players/story-e6frf9jf-1226388074767

I can't see the AFL giving up a opening round 'blockbuster' now that we're on the march.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
FFS play 22 rounds and get over it. Pack of girls.  :lol

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Move the blockbuster to fRIDAY NIGHT round 2, it will still be the first game on the G for the year and we get to keep the higher revenue which is the purpose of this opening blockbuster anyway.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

gerkin greg

Docklands may host opener  :o

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138112/default.aspx

30,000 fans plan to watch the game at Hungry Jacks in Southern Cross Station

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why can't they make the season go one week longer? The start of the cricket season being moved to other grounds is far easier than moving the final game of the cricket season. I'm not even sure that the cricket starts that close to the end of the AFL season. Politics at its best.

If no games can be played at the MCG then they should change the opening round opponents for us to another smaller drawing crowd and (as Rodger suggested) play our next game against the Baggers at the 'G. Next years game will probably draw an even larger crowd than this year so why lock out 35+ thousand supporters. Makes no sense.  >:(

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Its Carlton's president being quoted in the article but it effects us. I hope they can keep it at the MCG.

CARLTON president Stephen Kernahan says he plans to meet with the AFL next week to voice his opposition at the idea of moving the Blues' traditional round one clash with Richmond away from the MCG.

Kernahan was responding to earlier comments from AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou that the season-opener may need to move to Etihad Stadium because of player demands for two mid-season byes.

The only way to accommodate an extra bye in the 2013 fixture would be to bring the start of the season forward, meaning the MCG would be unavailable for round one.

"It's been an institution playing Carlton versus Richmond in the opening game of the season, and if they give them two byes, it means we can't get onto the MCG in the first round of the year," Kernahan said at the Blues' pre-game function at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

"Well, the chief (Carlton CEO Greg Swann) and I will be fighting that vigorously.

"I'll be seeing them (the AFL) this week, and we'll be playing at the MCG in the season opener."

Earlier on Friday, MCC chief executive Stephen Gough said he would respect the League's decision if it decided to start the season a week earlier, away from the MCG.

"I have no control over that, there are parties that have contracts over that which I must respect," Gough said.

"For many, many years, maybe as far back as time goes, the contracts for playing of sport at the MCG have been six months cricket, six months football." 

Cricket Victoria wants to keep the ground available in case the Bushrangers reach the final of the Sheffield Shield. 

Etihad Stadium has welcomed the idea of hosting the marquee match of the opening round.

"We're a venue for hire and there are contractual obligations that both us and the AFL attempt to facilitate," spokesman Bill Lane told AFL.com.au.

"In this instance, of course we'd be happy to accommodate any request that came our way."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138163/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Lol sticks
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blues-Tigers 2013 opener could move to Etihad Stadium (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 03:37:22 AM »
Blues-Tigers 2013 opener could move to Etihad Stadium

Michael Warner
    June 09, 2012

CARLTON and Richmond have slammed AFL threats to switch their season-opening blockbuster from the MCG to Etihad Stadium.

League chief Andrew Demetriou said yesterday he was prepared to make the move to cater for two mid-season breaks.

AFL players are pushing for a second bye in 2013, a move the league supports.

But the MCG is not available for footy until the end of March because of cricket contracts.

The AFL does not want to extend the season into October, preferring an earlier start in March at the end of the cricket season.

It would leave Etihad as the only available venue for the Blues-Tigers showdown.

But Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said it would be totally unacceptable.

"The Round 1 fixture between Carlton and Richmond has attracted an average attendance of almost 75,000 over the past six seasons," Gale said yesterday.

"It's a game both clubs have worked hard to develop and a game that supporters of both clubs embrace and the MCG is where it should be played.

"To switch one of the largest drawing fixtures of the season to Etihad would mean an enormous number of Richmond and Carlton fans would not be able to attend ... and that would be totally unacceptable to the club and our members and fans."

Carlton CEO Greg Swann said: "It's simply not an option.

"We worked closely with Richmond to build up the season-opener and with crowds averaging in excess of 74,000, it must be played at the MCG."

Etihad Stadium spokesman Bill Lane said the venue was open for business.

"We are a venue for hire and if it turns out that Round 1 commences earlier than usual, we would be available to host whichever matches the AFL sees fit," Lane said.

Cricket chiefs have advised the Melbourne Cricket Club that they plan to exercise their right to use the MCG until the end of March next year.

The summer code has exclusive use of the ground between October 1 and March 31 under the terms of a longstanding deal with the MCC, the ground's controller.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/blues-tigers-2013-opener-could-move-to-etihad-stadium/story-e6frepf6-1226389499044

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dockland move not on: rivals (Age)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
Dockland move not on: rivals
Jared Lynch
The Age
June 9, 2012

RICHMOND and Carlton have flatly rejected an offer from the AFL to host their traditional season-opener at Etihad Stadium next year - a move that would be necessary if the season was to start a week early to accommodate the players' request for two byes.

The AFL hopes to shift the clash from the MCG to the Docklands to cater for an earlier start to the season and with the MCG still required for cricket.

But both clubs said thousands of their fans would be left out in the cold.

The regular start to the 2013 season falls at Easter and AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday opening on that weekend was far from desirable and the league preferred to split the first round over two weekends.

''We don't play on Good Friday, so what we might do is start a week earlier next year, which would allow us the opportunity to go to two byes,'' he said.

''We are looking at a scenario where you could probably start the season with our three main games at Etihad Stadium, because the MCG is unavailable, so that's in the thinking at the moment.''

The league has tried and failed to strike a deal with Cricket Australia to use the MCG a week earlier, as that clashes with the Sheffield Shield final, Demetriou said.

''We could have some cracking games on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights at Etihad Stadium, some traditional games, maybe even the Richmond-Carlton game,'' he said.

But the Blues and Tigers were far from impressed yesterday. Etihad's crowd capacity of just over 53,000 is about half that of the MCG, meaning thousands of Richmond and Carlton fans would be unable to attend.

''The round one fixture between Carlton and Richmond has attracted an average attendance of almost 75,000 over the past six seasons,'' Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said.

''To switch one of the largest-drawing fixtures of the season to Etihad would mean an enormous number of Richmond and Carlton fans would not be able to attend the match, and that would be totally unacceptable to the club and our members and fans.

''It's a game both clubs have worked hard to develop and a game that supporters of both club's embrace, and the MCG is where it should be played."

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann agrees, saying Etihad is simply ''not an option''.

The MCC refused to weigh into the debate. Chief executive Stephen Gough said he would not intervene should the AFL schedule a season-opening game at Etihad.

Conceding that Richmond and Carlton would probably be ''disappointed'' at being forced to shut out fans, Gough said: ''We've got no say in the fixture. We have a contract with the AFL that we get 10 of the 12 best games, and at the moment we get something like the best 25, so we have no issue.

''It's up to them if they want to play Carlton-Richmond or Collingwood-Essendon at Etihad. We can't complain, but obviously those clubs would suffer a shortfall in revenue as a result unless the AFL had some plan for compensation.''

Gough reiterated that the current agreement was cricket and football shared the MCG on the basis of six months each, with cricket allowing the AFL to start its season one week earlier than contracted. To bring the season forward even earlier, cricket would have to agree.

''It's not our decision,'' he said. ''We often don't know until early March whether or not we need the ground to host the shield final.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dockland-move-not-on-rivals-20120608-201qo.html#ixzz1xDynVOJ3

Ruanaidh

Strike!

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
This would be a absolute disgrace if the AFL did this. It would not only be a slap to Rich and Carl but all football followers. Just goes to show they dont care about the average supporter who could be locked out of this game. Every Club should be up in arms about this.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
At first I was peeed off then I thought about it

Who cares where we play them as long as we beat them

If you get your ticket early then you will get a seat

Another thing I like its Carlton's home game so stuff em
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

TigerTimeII

i think if this does happen rfc and cfc fans should all protest by not showing up at all, have them play infront of no crowd at all!!!
the clubs will still make there money from members, so stuff etihad and stuff the afl
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:11:19 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
the solution is quite simple.
give the players their two byes for the season.

All teams get their first bye round 1 ;D
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
i think if this does happen rfc and cfc fans should all protest by not showing up at all, have them play infront of no crowd at all!!!
the clubs will still make there money from members, so stuff etihad and stuff the afl

It's Carltanks home game WGAF if 2 or 80,000 rock up

Stuff em

Why can't they do a floating Rd 1 in case Bush Rangers don't make the final

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:11:39 AM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.