Author Topic: No round 1 games at the 'G next year? / Opener with carlton could be moved.  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Key point in this is the fact that cricket will only need the MCG if Victoria makes the final

There is a fair chance they won't  :cheers I mean what happens by the end of January we know Vic won't play the final

So why can't the AFL just schedule Tiges -v- blues and when the ground isn't needed move it to the MCG

and then if Victoria make it we will have to go to Jihad stadium.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Jackstar is back again

Carltons home game ? Correct ?
How do we get to go then if played at Etihad ?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers reject AFL's Etihad opener (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »
Tigers reject AFL's Etihad opener

AAP
    June 15, 2012

RICHMOND has declined the AFL's offer to move the Tigers-Blues clash from round one in order to keep the early-season blockbuster at the MCG.

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou said the 2013 season would kick off at Etihad Stadium and not the MCG, putting the season-opener in doubt.

Richmond and Carlton officials had been hoping their round-one fixture could be staged at the MCG as normal next year, despite Demetriou's plan to bring the season forward one week to the second-last weekend of March.

However, this has led to a clash with Cricket Victoria which has a contractual right to stage the Sheffield Shield final at the MCG on that weekend.

The AFL is keen to schedule 22 rounds over 24 weeks, which would allow the league to give all teams two byes as requested by the players.

That meant the MCG would be a football-free zone in round one.

"Make no mistake, we're going to be opening the season at Etihad Stadium,'' Demetriou said.

"If Richmond and Carlton are adamant that they would prefer to wait to have the game here (at the MCG), then we'll respect that.

"It's important that we get the season off to a big start with three big games in Melbourne and that's what we intend to do.''

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said the Tigers were determined to retain the status quo.

"Richmond and Carlton have almost 100,000 members between them and an enormous supporter base beyond that, and we need to represent their interests,'' Gale said.

"They have voted with their feet each year. It has become a significant event on the AFL calendar and has attracted very big crowds.

"Our fans want this game as the season-opener in Melbourne and they want it played at the MCG.

"It is the only resolution that is acceptable to us.''

The fixture has attracted an average crowd of almost 75,000 over the past six seasons.

Etihad Stadium has a capacity of around 53,000 which means more than 20,000 fans could miss out if the game was moved there.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/tigers-reject-afls-etihad-opener/story-e6frf9mx-1226396987501

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Maybe just move it to etihad for 2013 then Cricket Victoria can find a new venue for 2014?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Maybe just move it to etihad for 2013 then Cricket Victoria can find a new venue for 2014?

Twas thinkin the same
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Easter is March 29th-31st next year. So waiting to play Carlton in round 2 at the 'G would make it Easter Thursday night unless the AFL allowed Good Friday football to make up for loss of the season opener.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blockbuster in limbo as Etihad gets first game (Age)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
Blockbuster in limbo as Etihad gets first game
Jared Lynch
The Age
June 16, 2012

THE AFL will launch the 2013 season at Etihad Stadium, with the traditional Carlton-Richmond blockbuster facing the axe.

The Tigers and the Blues have rejected plans to hold their match, the season-opener for the past five seasons, at the Docklands.

League chief executive Andrew Demetriou yesterday was adamant the opening round would be a week earlier than normal, at Etihad - to permit two byes throughout the season as requested by the players - and while the Tigers-Blues game worked well launching the season, it would most likely be moved to round two or three.

''Make no mistake, we are going to be opening the season at Etihad Stadium,'' Demetriou said.

''If Richmond and Carlton are adamant that they would prefer to wait to have the game [at the MCG], we'll respect that.

''We'd all be thrilled to see a blockbuster, cracking game at the MCG - I don't think it's going to happen in the second-last week of March because the Sheffield Shield final will be here if Victoria make it.

''But I think it's important we get the season off to a good start with three big games in Melbourne.''

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale has said that thousands of fans would be locked out of the Docklands, which has a capacity of just over 53,000 and the game draws average crowds of 75,000.

The AFL has been unable to strike a deal with Cricket Victoria, which has rights to the MCG until the end of March, in case there is a Victorian Sheffield Shield final. The AFL has a similar agreement, occupying the MCG until a week after the grand final in case there is a draw in the premiership decider.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland reaffirmed this week that a shield final could not be held at Etihad Stadium, and Cricket Victoria was continuing to work with the state government to develop an alternative venue that could host first-class cricket in Melbourne.

Demetriou yesterday denied he was pressuring the state government and Premier Ted Baillieu to deliver on a second venue and free up the MCG for the Carlton-Richmond blockbuster.

''I don't see why he [Baillieu] has to [intervene]. He has got more important things to deal with,'' he said.

''This is a contractual issue, we respect contracts.''

A Cricket Victoria spokesman said this week it had long been working towards creating a second first-class cricket ground in Melbourne.

''We have been working with successive state governments to try to find an alternative venue outside of the MCG that would provide us with that flexibility to stage selected first-class and domestic one-day matches to be held outside the MCG, but we are yet to get a solution on that,'' the spokesman said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blockbuster-in-limbo-as-etihad-gets-first-game-20120615-20fo1.html#ixzz1xskQRhMK

Hellenic Tiger

Easter is March 29th-31st next year. So waiting to play Carlton in round 2 at the 'G would make it Easter Thursday night unless the AFL allowed Good Friday football to make up for loss of the season opener.

AFL have a deal with the GABBA on Easter Thursday.

Easter Wednesday at the MCG Carlton v Richmond? :shh

Anzac Day was on a Wednesday this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caro on 3aw tonight said both Richmond and Carlton won't play at Etihad in round 1 so that's a no go. She believes the MCG will be available in round 1 next year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Caro on 3aw tonight said both Richmond and Carlton won't play at Etihad in round 1 so that's a no go. She believes the MCG will be available in round 1 next year.

I think she maybe right

Cannot believe that some sort of deal wont be done to get the MCG a week early. besdies I don't think Victoria will go anywhere near making the Sheffield Shield final  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I think she maybe right

Cannot believe that some sort of deal wont be done to get the MCG a week early. besdies I don't think Victoria will go anywhere near making the Sheffield Shield final  ;D
Is that because you believe there will be quite a few Victorians playing for the national team throughout the summer?

Hellenic Tiger

Common sense people.

Vics in circa 2009 won the Shield Final at the Junction Oval.

I can't see why this scenario should the Vics host the final can't eventuate now.

Surely cricket Vic the MCC and the AFL can come to an agreement over $$$$ where Rich v Carl will

far outweigh Barb and a few others who have nothing better to do over five days and go.

I'm sure cricket Australia or cricket Vic would never schedule a one dayer at the G on the first Saturday in October.

As I said earlier common sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Is that because you believe there will be quite a few Victorians playing for the national team throughout the summer?
;D
That and I don't think Victoria's depth is that great these days.

:thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Would love to know the official crowd for Final sheffield shield attendance  if under 50k move it to the dome  no washouts and we keep our block buster simple throw in  a incentive to Vics % of gate receipts from us and carlscum over  full capacity  dome we all win 

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Would love to know the official crowd for Final sheffield shield attendance  if under 50k move it to the dome  no washouts and we keep our block buster simple throw in  a incentive to Vics % of gate receipts from us and carlscum over  full capacity  dome we all win

From memory under 10,000 every time.

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....