Author Topic: No round 1 games at the 'G next year? / Opener with carlton could be moved.  (Read 7988 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Would love to know the official crowd for Final sheffield shield attendance  if under 50k move it to the dome  no washouts and we keep our block buster simple throw in  a incentive to Vics % of gate receipts from us and carlscum over  full capacity  dome we all win

From memory under 10,000 every time.

:thumbsup
And that figure would be the final figure over the five days.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carlton CEO Greg Swann on SEN said the opening round issue is still unresolved. He's talked again with Benny Gale and both clubs are committed to not playing the round 1 game at Etihad.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's ask to play GWS or Bulldogs round one then...

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
They will play it at the G. Cricket will give in.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Two-day gap to get MCG turf back in shape for round 1 2013 (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 05:50:45 AM »
Two-day gap to get MCG turf back in shape

Michael Warner
    August 03, 2012

MCG ground staff could have just 48 hours to prepare the surface for next year's traditional Richmond-Carlton season-opener.

A first-class cricket fixture to be unveiled today has scheduled the Sheffield Shield final to finish just two days before the start of the AFL season.

The final would be played at the MCG from March 22-26 if the Victorian Bushrangers finished at the top of the domestic points table. The AFL has already announced the 2013 football season will kick off on Thursday, March 28.

The Blues and Tigers have launched the AFL season at the MCG for several years in front of crowds of about 80,000. Cricket Victoria chief executive Tony Dodemaide said last night the clash was unavoidable.

"That is our only option. Unfortunately, the MCG is the only first-class ground we have in Victoria. If we happen to host the final and it goes the full distance, there is only a 48-hour turnaround," he said.

But an MCC spokesman said the ground could be prepared in time.

"It would involve taking out some of the portable pitches before the Shield final," the spokesman said.

Cricket and football have been squaring off over use of the MCG since AFL boss Andrew Demetriou announced the league wanted to start the season one week early next year to accommodate two mid-season breaks.

Cricket has rights to the MCG from October 1 until March 31 every year, but would agree to relinquish the stadium earlier in March in exchange for a new home at the Junction Oval.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/two-day-gap-to-get-mcg-turf-back-in-shape/story-e6frf9jf-1226441842075

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
They won't make it anyway lol.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dimwittio has been stuffed over. Tried to bully his way through this and now Cricket Australia have scheduled the final just before round 1. Well done fuhrer  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fixture reveals Blues and Tigers to open season (Age)
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Fixture reveals Blues and Tigers to open season

Jake Niall
    The Age
    August 3, 2012

THE AFL has made two major fixturing calls: Carlton and Richmond have retained their hold on the Thursday night season opener at the MCG next year ...

The AFL is planning to open the 2013 season with the Tigers and Blues on Thursday evening, March 28, on the eve of Good Friday, and will schedule the match - which has become one of the season's biggest - at the MCG, not Etihad Stadium.

The league had considered scheduling the game at a later date and also starting a week earlier in order to accommodate an additional bye. But it has chosen to stick with what has become a traditional round one. Next year, round one will stretch from Thursday, March 28, until Easter Monday, on April 1.

This year's Richmond-Carlton game, on a Thursday night, was the second rather than the first game of the season, due to the scheduling of Greater Western Sydney's historic debut against Sydney as a stand-alone fixture the previous Saturday night.

Richmond and Carlton started playing on the Thursday before the remainder of round one in 2008, when Chris Judd suited up for the Blues for the first time; the match was a sellout the following year when Ben Cousins made his debut as a Tiger. The fixture has averaged more than 70,000 fans and generates huge television ratings.

The AFL's fixturing call for the start of 2013 means the MCG will have just 48 hours to get ready for football if Victoria's cricketers host the Sheffield Shield final.

Cricket Australia will unveil its domestic fixture next week, with the shield final to start on March 22 and run for five days.

Because Cricket Victoria does not have an alternative venue for first-class games, the MCG is its only option, meaning ground staff have to remove its drop-in pitches and prepare the stadium for football in rapid time. Victoria will play its first match of the domestic cricket season in Perth - the day before the AFL grand final.

Carlton's fixture next year is likely to include two matches each against Richmond and long-time foes Collingwood and Essendon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fixture-reveals-blues-and-tigers-to-open-season-20120802-23igm.html#ixzz22RtIEwlS

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
Great..

Another Pre season build up and loss.

We won't beat them.

80k will rock up again to see us lose. Makes me sick in the stomach.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
They won't make it anyway lol.

Bingo!

Don't know why there's been so much fuss  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
THE AFL Players' Association says it is unacceptable that the MCG may have just two days to prepare for the AFL's 2013 season opener.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143587/default.aspx

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Freakin Vic's have won first two games outright to setup a good lead at the top  :banghead
Still hoping they can do it, just at the junction will be fine!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Well I hope they keep it for the same date, I will be off and we will be there!! :gotigers
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

They will have it at the G. Even if the Vics make the final at home.

They've had rock concerts on the ground and had it ready for sporting events.

All smoke and mirrors between the AFL and Cricket on this issue.

BTW would have thought that the dates would have been sorted out as going back as far as I can remember last weekend in March the footy always has been at the G and the Shield Final has always been played in between 10-20th March.

Furthermore when Sydney held the Olympics in 2000 we played Melbourne at the G in Round 1 on Wednesday March 8. They have agreed before and will agree again.

We'll be playing Carlcheatscumlieembezzlebashsteal on Thursday March 29. :thumbsup

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Freakin Vic's have won first two games outright to setup a good lead at the top  :banghead
Still hoping they can do it, just at the junction will be fine!

Don't panic, Tassie have them covered, final will be played at Blundstone arena just to eff up Norts beginning to the season ;D