Author Topic: Troy Chaplin [merged]  (Read 160963 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Troy Chaplin [merged]
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »
so a 4 year $1million dollar contract trumps a 3 year $900K contract?

Yes (and if the player wants 4 years at 1 million instead of 3 years at 900k).

Also, if say Essendon offer 4 years and 1.1 million, if he wants He can choose Richmond as a preferred destination even if it's say 4 years at 1.0 million from us.
if thats the case then it's easy to rort the system.
to me a 3 year deal for 900k craps all over 1mil over 4 years, yet it loses in the free agency stakes.

as you say though, they are not obligated to the highest bidder, as long as their preferred club outbids their current club.

I'm still not on top of this.  So if I offer $900k over 3 seasons ($300k per season effective) then I get trumped by the original club's $1m over 4 seasons ($250k per season effective)?
yep, thats what dooks is saying

F me, only Adolph could justify this.
Free agency is about a player being able to get to another club of his choice. It stops the players association claiming the AFL trade period is a restraint of trade. The terms of the contract are essentially irrelevant as the original club won't want to hold onto a player who wants to go and play elsewhere.

As for the example of $900k over 3 years. Andy D will justify it by saying the player could get the axe after the 3 years so it's value is less than the 4 year deal at $250k p.a. (ie. more long-term security). A club like ours who are near the salary minimum of 92.5% would also front-load the contract to entice the player across and to free up salary cap space when our cubs mature and demand more $$$.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:22 AM »
If we're raiding the Collingwood VFL side we need to have a look a Tyrren Head, this kid is a gun :shh
have always liked sundberg sam dwyer is another ive liked for 3 yrs or more sundberg and dwyer have been super consistent at vfl level and tick a lot of the criteria i set.they would both be upgrades on players we have and have enough good traits to suggest they would be decent afl players.

how old is head.
some of the criteria i set for looking at vfl players. kicking athleticism and smarts are they up to afl standard. also is he dominating against his peers and is he getting good finishes in best and fairests. tick these boxes and you may have a player. dont see a lot of vfl but will watch out for him.

Don't think Sundberg has played this year and was overlooked last year. He's no chance.
missed the first half of the yr i think but since hes been back hes been pretty prominent. someone should have given him a go last yr.
yeah its a long shot if your injured and not getting your name in the recruiters faces. stil like i have said i  have liked him for a few yrs now so i would not be picking on this yr alone.

My mistake he did his knee before the draft last year so that would explain why no one picked him.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Port getting absolutely mauled by GWS atm..

Chaplin out this week.. Maybe he's worth something after all.. Port have a disgusting side...
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
That's BS Pope they have guns such as Butcher and Schulz

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »
I don't like long contracts to unknowns
Could be a Frock Maclean
Tread warily rfc :- :P
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

Gigantor

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Although our recruitment from other clubs has been a hit this year(Maric and morris)Does anyone else think that we have become slightly south australian centric in our recruitment.I mean this year it appears we are targetting Chaplin from Port Adelaide.
I dont mind if we raid both adelaide clubs until the cows come home if the pickups help us,however i just hope we arent ignoring possible gems from elsewhere.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
That's BS Pope they have guns such as Butcher and Schulz

You're a stuffwit. However, I forgive you for this. :clapping

Offline tigtuff12

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »
on the topic - what's the honest thoughts on this bloke?  is he what we need or is he adding security while we still try to develop the Griffiths, Astburys etc?  Wary of paying overs but from what I have seen imo he could certainly help iron out one of our deficiencies in the immediate future...the other concern is how bad is the knee?  thoughts?
...the fighting fury...

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Does the Primus saga bear any impact on whether or not this guy will leave??
Sometimes when a new app coach is in waiting players hold of contract talks, what you think??

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
Does the Primus saga bear any impact on whether or not this guy will leave??
Sometimes when a new app coach is in waiting players hold of contract talks, what you think??

I think the Primaus saga will have a big bearing on a lot of things at Port now

expecting Boak to change his mind

Chaplin's talks have supposedly been on hold for a few weeks now (instigated by Chaplin & his management) so I can only see this decision helping the un-decided decide  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
Hopefully WP
And in regards to boal, I hope he decides he wants to stick around to put the pieces back together.  ;D don't want geelong getting stronger
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »
Boak's very overrated. Not saying he isn't a good player, because he is, but he isn't as good as what some are making out.

Chaplin will be a good pickup and helps us out. I'd expect with Primus leaving he will all but be gone from Port next season now. Saints are heavily into him also.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
on the topic - what's the honest thoughts on this bloke?  is he what we need or is he adding security while we still try to develop the Griffiths, Astburys etc?  Wary of paying overs but from what I have seen imo he could certainly help iron out one of our deficiencies in the immediate future...the other concern is how bad is the knee?  thoughts?

How many of each do we have?  :lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
Boak, Chaplin, Cloke :D
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
I don't like long contracts to unknowns
Could be a Frock Maclean
Tread warily rfc :- :P
chaplin is hardly an unknown. hes a 26 yr old 130 odd game player who has been associated with hartley hardwick and lade when they were at port. id say hes well known.