Author Topic: Sack Hardwick [merged]  (Read 276005 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Sack Hardwick [merged]
« Reply #3600 on: October 02, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
The stand out for me is the doggies play for each other. Genuinely.

In comparison, Richmond players look like a bunch of individuals who at best 'get along'.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3601 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:36 PM »

In comparison, Richmond players look like a bunch of individuals who at best 'get along'.

And at the doggies that has a helluva lot to do with their leaders or in particular their captain one Bob Murphy. Galvanised that group
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3602 on: October 02, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »

And at the doggies that has a helluva lot to do with their leaders or in particular their captain one Bob Murphy. Galvanised that group
You're right again WP. :clapping

All started with Cotchin not wanting to wear the number 17 guernsey. It spoke volumes about the way he placed his own wants over the clubs. Doggies have a team first mentality. It is palpable. We have a "every man for himself" mentality and it also shows...... :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3603 on: October 02, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
To all those apologists and wankers who continually take cheap shots at those of us who say "clubs have passed us" well here is another one that has.

Claim it for a few years in a row and you're bound to get it right eventually

Yes Hardwick and the Admin are duds but the enabling supporters are to blame as well.

Damn members ruining it for the rest of the "fans"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3604 on: October 02, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »

All started with Cotchin not wanting to wear the number 17 guernsey. It spoke volumes about the way he placed his own wants over the clubs. Doggies have a team first mentality. It is palpable. We have a "every man for himself" mentality and it also shows...... :banghead

Cotchin was right - the whole "Captain wears 17" thing was contrived bollocks...glad he put a stop to it...... :clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3605 on: October 02, 2016, 12:55:53 PM »

Cotchin was right - the whole "Captain wears 17" thing was contrived bollocks...glad he put a stop to it......
I agree that it was. However, the symbolic gesture of doing what the club wanted though was completely ignored. Sometimes you accept to do things you don't agree with for the sake of unity....

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3606 on: October 02, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

Cotchin was right - the whole "Captain wears 17" thing was contrived bollocks...glad he put a stop to it......
I agree that it was. However, the symbolic gesture of doing what the club wanted though was completely ignored. Sometimes you accept to do things you don't agree with for the sake of unity....
The easiest thing for Cotch to do back then was to wear the number 17. It took leadership IMO to do what he did. I really liked what he did.
But that's not to say he wasn't being selfish either though.
Time for Cotch to just concentrate on playing good footy now and give the captaincy up. But I don't think our club is strong enough to do it.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3607 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »

Cotchin was right - the whole "Captain wears 17" thing was contrived bollocks...glad he put a stop to it...... :clapping
I thought the #17 thing was in honor of the great Kane Johnson ....   :-\
I have to agree, it is contrived & it reeks of trying too hard.  We put up a bronze statue of the guy & named a stand after him, isn't that enough honoring without dragging the current players into it?  I reckon Jack himself would want them to cut it out & get on with it!     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3608 on: October 02, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »

The easiest thing for Cotch to do back then was to wear the number 17. It took leadership IMO to do what he did. I really liked what he did.
Time for Cotch to just concentrate on playing good footy now and give the captaincy up. But I don't think our club is strong enough to do it.
Couldn't imagine Beveridge asking Bob Murphy to wear the number 3 guernsey (EJ's) and him refusing......

Therein lies the difference between the two teams.

Ps. And yes I know Wallis wears it. I'm just throwing in a hypothetical.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3609 on: October 02, 2016, 01:20:55 PM »

I thought the #17 thing was in honor of the great Kane Johnson ....   :-\
I have to agree, it is contrived & it reeks of trying too hard.  We put up a bronze statue of the guy & named a stand after him, isn't that enough honoring without dragging the current players into it?  I reckon Jack himself would want them to cut it out & get on with it!     

Again, it's not about the number 17. It's about doing the club thing!

Do you think it's necessary to do the kayaking crap they do on the club summer camp? Of course it isn't. However, you participate so you can be all in it together.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3610 on: October 02, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »

Couldn't imagine Beveridge asking Bob Murphy to wear the number 3 guernsey (EJ's) and him refusing......

It's ok not to be a robot though, just because the club tells you to do something. If as a leader you don't agree than why not do something about it.
If the club was strong about it, Cotch would have taken the number 17.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3611 on: October 02, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »
The number 17 thing was the biggest stuffing load of poo bollocks

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3612 on: October 02, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

Exactly  :clapping

Cotchin is in it for himself
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3613 on: October 02, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
The number 17 thing was the biggest stuffing load of poo bollocks
I agree. So too are a million other things that are done at clubs. However, it shows selflessness to do what the club wants and what you don't want to do.

Again, Beveridge could ask his players to go and slit their forearms and they would without hesitation. It's the mentality needed to put the team first to the point that you'd win a flag.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3614 on: October 02, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »

lol i couldnt imagine Beveredge worrying about such a pointless, grand standing exercise.

from memory one of the reasons cotchin didnt want to change numbers was for the kids that wore his number. selfish git.

it was a wank fest and as a leader, he, hopefully, put paid to it.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI