Author Topic: Tigers fume over Sandilands (afl site)  (Read 4946 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers fume over Sandilands (afl site)
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »
Tigers fume over Sandilands
By Nathan Schmook
9:20 PM Sat 18 Aug, 2012

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has questioned whether Fremantle's late inclusion of Aaron Sandilands in Saturday's match at Patersons Stadium was in the "spirit of the game", drawing a strong response from Ross Lyon.

Fremantle ruckman Jon Griffin "tweaked his groin" in the final on-ground warm-up and was withdrawn 10 minutes before the opening bounce, with Sandilands included to play a key role in his team's 22-point win.

There was speculation on Saturday morning that Sandilands would play his first game in more than two months, with the 2009 club champion named as an emergency.

Asked if he thought Sandilands was always going to play on Saturday, Hardwick said: "Look, that's within the rules. Whether it's in the spirit of the game, I don't know. That's for you guys (media) to find out".

Hardwick was then asked whether he thought Griffin's injury was genuine.

"I think everyone knows the answer to that question in here. Listen, you guys take that further, I've said enough on that," he said.

"You prepare one way and then all of a sudden, something happens and you've got to start preparing another way."

Lyon's response was emphatic on Saturday night. He challenged anyone doubting the legitimacy of Griffin's injury to provide evidence.   

"I'm on record here, this is bona fide and legitimate, and if anyone wants [to make] accusations outside of that they're well and truly out of line and want to be really careful," he said.

"There is no ruse here. If anyone is calling us liars, they'd want to be really strong and have strong evidence."

Asked if he would speak to Hardwick to clear the air, Lyon said: "What for? Not interested. He’s a really good person, a really good coach, but we take the four points and move on".

Lyon said Griffin told him he wasn't "confident to play" after tweaking an adductor in the warm-up and Sandilands, who had been completing his own warm-up inside, was called on two minutes before the team ran onto the ground.

"I called [the players] over into a group - that'll be on camera - and I said, 'I don't want to shock you but Aaron's in and Jon's out'," Lyon said.

"When I spoke to Aaron, Aaron didn't even know who had gone out of the team.

"I understand what people think, but the reality is, I can't put it any clearer ... we always warm up our emergencies."

Sandilands hadn't played at AFL level since round 11, but he returned to have 33 hit-outs and nine clearances in a strong performance, giving his team a midfield edge.

It was enough to convince Lyon that Griffin, who will be assessed, could struggle to get back in the team for next Sunday's crunch game against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

"When you give your spot up it’s hard to get back in, which is good for me but bad for Jon and great for Aaron," Lyon said.

"It’s really difficult to play both. Aaron’s performed and (Kepler) Bradley’s performed. It’s a tough ruthless business ... but we can’t delve into how people feel, it’s how they act."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144956/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Tigers fume over Sandilands (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »
That dud shouldnt be allowed to play afl. Should join a circus with those basketball shoes.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
Who would bother reading crap

TigerTimeII

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
hardwick is a sook

how about he coach a team to beat the press ffs and instruct maric to drive his knees in the giraffes chest

:wallywink :wallywink :wallywink :wallywink :wallywink

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
hardwick is a sook

how about he coach a team to beat the press ffs and instruct maric to drive his knees in the giraffes chest

Hardwick has a legitimate case! The Giant freak wasn't named even as an emergency. He killed us in he ruck, gave them first use of the ball enabling them to set up othe rebound. Anyone who thinks Sandilands wasn't the difference in this game is kidding themselves!  Freo should be fined thousands, they clearly breached the rules.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »
Talk about the media trying to generate a story about nothing.  No coach brought it up, both responded to loaded questions.  Scumbags.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »
hardwick is a sook

Hardwick has a legitimate case! The Giant freak wasn't named even as an emergency. He killed us in he ruck, gave them first use of the ball enabling them to set up othe rebound. Anyone who thinks Sandilands wasn't the difference in this game is kidding themselves!  Freo should be fined thousands, they clearly breached the rules.

Giant Freak was 1st emergency and he destroyed Maric. This is fair and let's just move on to Essendon :thumbsup

Ruanaidh

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
I'm crying foul >:( If we had known Sandilands was playing we could have brought in......??????......... :-[

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
I'm crying foul >:( If we had known Sandilands was playing we could have brought in......??????......... :-[

Tom Derrickx, Angus Graham or Andrew Browne? Fair finkum, all 3 of them couldn't beat Sandi

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

Funny cause it's true. ;D

tony_montana

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
if he was an emergency, then i dont see the problem..

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
hardwick is a sook

No case to answer

When I  first heard I was peeed but when you think about it

WGAF

Hardwick was being a sook as he was a emergency

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »
I think the fact he was officially scratched off the team list when they were lodged is the issue. If Sandilands was always going to play ( I think he was) then he should of been named when the team was lodged.

Lyon seems to enjoy springing surprises when conducting his football business.

tony_montana

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
I think the fact he was officially scratched off the team list when they were lodged is the issue. If Sandilands was always going to play ( I think he was) then he should of been named when the team was lodged.

still it does happen occassionally.. its not as if the coaches didnt prepare for him playing during the week, or once they saw the final lists without the big freak did they throw the sandilands plan book into the shredder?  ;D

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »

still it does happen occassionally.. its not as if the coaches didnt prepare for him playing during the week, or once they saw the final lists without the big freak did they throw the sandilands plan book into the shredder?  ;D
I agree, we would have had no Sandilands game plan, but we would have had one for Griffen. He should have been named when the original team sheet was submitted if he was always going to play, thats the rules. Things like this can open up a can of worms. Teams could do this every week and we would never know who is playing and who is not.