Author Topic: 2012 AFL Draft  (Read 35700 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 2012 AFL Draft
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Been researching Dayle Garlett and would love to get him with Pick 9. This from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JT1OkosP8

Can play in a variety of positions and has speed to burn. Rory Atkins (mid) and Liam McBean (Ruck/Key) with our two 2nd round picks and I would be very happy.

And he's an indigenous boy who is keen to play with an interstate Club:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/garlett-seeks-a-better-state-20120702-21daf.html
The question mark on Garlett is his attitude. Of course the likes of Buddy also had questions marks over their attitude prior to being drafted  :P so it's up to the Club to do its homework and sort out if it's just 17 year old immaturity which will right itself as he develops in a strong AFL club environment away from poor influences or he's another Connors.

As for those couple of phantom drafts from BF - I would be disappointed if we used pick 9 on a kid who is only 174cm tall. At that size you need elite speed and skills and a stocky body to make a long career at AFL level IMO.
Garlett is 181cm??? .....and his 'attitude' issue was only minor apparently.
Sorry Ruanaidh, in the last sentence I was talking about Kennedy who is only 174cm.

Garlett would be a kid we'd be interested in. He fills a need and while Dimma doesn't get say in draftees he would no doubt love us to find someone who can play like Rioli.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ruanaidh

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Been researching Dayle Garlett and would love to get him with Pick 9. This from last year:

Can play in a variety of positions and has speed to burn. Rory Atkins (mid) and Liam McBean (Ruck/Key) with our two 2nd round picks and I would be very happy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/garlett-seeks-a-better-state-20120702-21daf.html
The question mark on Garlett is his attitude. Of course the likes of Buddy also had questions marks over their attitude prior to being drafted  :P so it's up to the Club to do its homework and sort out if it's just 17 year old immaturity which will right itself as he develops in a strong AFL club environment away from poor influences or he's another Connors.

As for those couple of phantom drafts from BF - I would be disappointed if we used pick 9 on a kid who is only 174cm tall. At that size you need elite speed and skills and a stocky body to make a long career at AFL level IMO.
Sorry Ruanaidh, in the last sentence I was talking about Kennedy who is only 174cm.

Garlett would be a kid we'd be interested in. He fills a need and while Dimma doesn't get say in draftees he would no doubt love us to find someone who can play like Rioli.
No worries mate, I thought you might have meant Kennedy. As for Garlett, I just can't see how we could not choose him if he last's to our spot. I've heard some say that he seems to be more Cyril than Cyril himself  :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »

No worries mate, I thought you might have meant Kennedy. As for Garlett, I just can't see how we could not choose him if he last's to our spot. I've heard some say that he seems to be more Cyril than Cyril himself  :o
Garlett would be the perfect choice for us if he turned out to be another Rioli  :pray and would be an upgrade on a Nahas or Kingy.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
I would want more than just an upgrade on Kingy, or just another small forward from our pick 9. Would only get him if he can develop into a genuine midfielder.
I do agree that we need more speed and class through the center.

dwaino

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »
I would be happy with just best available. We have room for a genuine gun in every position.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Talk on BF is FJ likes Vlastuin.

Found out today that Kennedy isn't on our radar.

From what I've heard too, we are very undecided on whether to take Vlastuin or Wines if we are set on an inside midfielder.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-draft.959078/page-20#post-25584452

A Herald-Sun article about Vlastuin:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/nick-vlastuin-is-hungry-to-succeed-in-afl/story-fn53klc6-1226433857225
or
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/future-in-good-nick/story-fn53klc6-1226436992026

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
Kennedy maybe 174cm but he can play!

He can kick goals, can play in the midfield and has elite speed. I don't care how tall they are, as long as they can get the pill and know what to do with it!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

gerkin greg

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
Yep Kennedy is a gun. Height is his only flaw. Got everything this kid. Will be a superstar.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 06:26:56 AM »
Talk on BF is FJ likes Vlastuin.

Found out today that Kennedy isn't on our radar.

From what I've heard too, we are very undecided on whether to take Vlastuin or Wines if we are set on an inside midfielder.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-draft.959078/page-20#post-25584452

A Herald-Sun article about Vlastuin:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/nick-vlastuin-is-hungry-to-succeed-in-afl/story-fn53klc6-1226433857225
or
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/future-in-good-nick/story-fn53klc6-1226436992026
I really think we should be looking at a midfielder/ forward with great pace at Pick 9 (Garlett or Kennedy). Vlastuin will be a good soldier but we could pick up a quality midfielder/half-back with a later pick. I think Vlastuin at 9 smacks of another FJ safe-bet (Conca/Ellis) - less risk, possibly less reward. In our infamous close losses we lacked a mercurial player who could ignite the side when required. The 'good soldiers' can save matches, we need a match-winner.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
your right about the safe bet with our picks ruanaidh, but i dont have a problem with it.
We have had too many misses over the years with our early picks and as long as we get quality players ourselves, it doenst matter if we pass over player X who turns out to be a better player.

I also dont think that it is the x factor players that we missed in those close games, although you are right that in those situations some can win you game with a dynamic burst.
what we really lacked was composure, experience and an all out willingness to compete and push hard when it counted.

with the emphasis on competative type personalities, this in theory will give us the ability to shut down games as these players gain experience.

You are better off to have a team who play as a solid, disciplined team to close out the close matches rather than rely on one or two players' brilliance
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
Another full season with no help is not going to bide well for the mullet either! If we are going to make finals we need a decent backup, angus is not it! Would be even more of a laughing stock in finals footy, if that's possible?

Ruanaidh

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
your right about the safe bet with our picks ruanaidh, but i dont have a problem with it.
We have had too many misses over the years with our early picks and as long as we get quality players ourselves, it doenst matter if we pass over player X who turns out to be a better player.

I also dont think that it is the x factor players that we missed in those close games, although you are right that in those situations some can win you game with a dynamic burst.
what we really lacked was composure, experience and an all out willingness to compete and push hard when it counted.

with the emphasis on competative type personalities, this in theory will give us the ability to shut down games as these players gain experience.

You are better off to have a team who play as a solid, disciplined team to close out the close matches rather than rely on one or two players' brilliance
Even the star-studded mid-field of the Saints under Gary Lyon lacked one thing - someone with express pace. And he acknowledged it.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
fair enough too, but having express pace isnt the same as the X factor you talked about.

....if it was we would be all set with Matty white........

fast players do also tend to be buffalo girls, which is probably fair enough as if they are in and under all the time they don't get to utilise their pace, but should you use a first round pick on this type of player?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
much rather play it safe and make the finals a few times first

wait until in a position to take the risk + these types tend to slide into the latter parts of the first round

rioli #12, jetta #14

Ruanaidh

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
fair enough too, but having express pace isnt the same as the X factor you talked about.

....if it was we would be all set with Matty white........

fast players do also tend to be buffalo girls, which is probably fair enough as if they are in and under all the time they don't get to utilise their pace, but should you use a first round pick on this type of player?
Garlett has both Al ;)....and I did mention both. Tell me Al & Gerks, if you could get a Rioli for pick 9 would you do it???

But hey...I don't reckon they will take him in any case., it's not the new conservative RFC way.