Author Topic: What is our Win/Loss ratio since...  (Read 2254 times)

Gigantor

Re: What is our Win/Loss ratio since...
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
they should rename Melbourne .....Dyerville

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
so he owns the club?

Best and fairest=JD Medal.

Captain - JD Number

Coterie = 17 members

Where is the room for new growth?

stuff it -  why don't we just call ourselves "The Jack Dyers"  ?
Ox, you forgot the Jack Dyer stand and the mascot 'Tiger Jack Dyer Stripes'  ;D

Seriously though the only other Richmond personality who got close to the aura that Dyer had was KB but that went out of the window when he cracked the sads after being sacked as coach and went into self-imposed exile for 16 years. Dyer was Richmond - he lived there, had a shop there, played there, coached there. He's our only "home-grown" Tiger who has played in and coached a Richmond premiership, won B&Fs. His 310 games (corrected to 312) was at the time of his retirement a record and seen as an amazing achievement which made him a legend of the game not just a legend of the RFC. He also played during the Great Depression and WWII where Football was one of the few forms entertainment that the average person could afford to go to. Is there an argument to say the Club has gone a bit overboard with the Dyer tributes - possibly - but he's hard to top.

Where's the new growth? Well it could have been Richo but he missed out playing in crap sides. If we now put a decent team together that can win a flag or two then his name will be Trent Cotchin! :yep
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
apart from a 35% losing ratio
That stat is more an indictment on the Club over the past decade or three rather than on the man himself.

Ox

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
yes but i meant it more as,this is how we repay the no 17

Ox

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
so he owns the club?

Best and fairest=JD Medal.

Captain - JD Number

Coterie = 17 members

Where is the room for new growth?

stuff it -  why don't we just call ourselves "The Jack Dyers"  ?
Ox, you forgot the Jack Dyer stand and the mascot 'Tiger Jack Dyer Stripes'  ;D

Seriously though the only other Richmond personality who got close to the aura that Dyer had was KB but that went out of the window when he cracked the sads after being sacked as coach and went into self-imposed exile for 16 years. Dyer was Richmond - he lived there, had a shop there, played there, coached there. He's our only "home-grown" Tiger who has played in and coached a Richmond premiership, won B&Fs. His 310 games (corrected to 312) was at the time of his retirement a record and seen as an amazing achievement which made him a legend of the game not just a legend of the RFC. He also played during the Great Depression and WWII where Football was one of the few forms entertainment that the average person could afford to go to. Is there an argument to say the Club has gone a bit overboard with the Dyer tributes - possibly - but he's hard to top.

Where's the new growth? Well it could have been Richo but he missed out playing in crap sides. If we now put a decent team together that can win a flag or two then his name will be Trent Cotchin! :yep

The great depression?

The tradition continues

Ruanaidh

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
Jack was a great clubman but it is time to stop the no17 folly.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
Pretty sure that if we end up having a successful period, it will be due to our recognition of the great Jack Dyer
In fact we might want to call it the Jack Dyer-era
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
Pretty sure that if we end up having a successful period, it will be due to our recognition of the great Jack Dyer

and if we dont,it will have nothing to do with him....how does that work??

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »
yes but i meant it more as,this is how we repay the no 17
Well then as Y&B said a successful period with regular finals appearances will repay, respect and acknowledge the No. 17 as it should be acknowledged. To date we as a club have done sweet all repaying it.

Btw as I said in the other thread while I'm usually in favour of the captain wearing #17,  I'm actually in favour of Cotch keeping his #9 guernsey if he becomes captain because he's a freak and a one off.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »

and if we dont,it will have nothing to do with him....how does that work??
Success has many friends; failure has none.

Growing up we all heard about the past champions from the 1920s,30s and 40s and then the golden era from 1967-80. Very little was said about the 20 year period in-between where we didn't play finals at all. Probably another reason Dyer is held so fondly by the Club and his legend passed down. Post his footy career we were crap for the next 20 years (until KB, Hart, Bourke and co. all showed up) so a successful Richmond would've been associated with him for those two decades.