Re: No Doz
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 04:07:54 PM »
why mention it though ?

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
Anyone have a problem with these tablets?

Yeah I do - for all the reason om21, tassie tiger and TS have mentioned.

Also because back in the 1980's at one of the Olympic games an Aussie fellow (Alex Watson was his name IIRC) failed a drug test because of high levels of caffiene. He claimed it was because he had drunk alot of Coke before one of his events. He appealed and won (I think) but he was tainted none the less.

What message is it sending to kids when blokes have to take a caffiene tablet to get themselves fired up  :-\ :help

I'm with you guys on this.
Sometimes I don't like the way the 'what about the message to kids' argument gets used in football, but it's perfectly justified in this instance.
Plus, I thought truckloads of caffiene dried the body out, or is it shitloads of coffee that does that?
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline tassie tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 05:08:37 PM »
why mention it though ?

Thats a fair point too.  We all know about painkillers and hurling syringes into knees and ankles and God knows what but why does it have to be the topic of the popular media.  Bet that would encourage a few more kids to play the game....NOT.  The Footy Show is a out of order raising it, might be ratings worthy but morally bankrupt also.  We dont ahve to be hidden from the uglies but we shouldnt be drawing attention to them either!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 05:13:02 PM »
All I find caffeine does is keep you awake. I have never felt it give me an extra buzz or extra energy. Sounds to me it's all psychological and more a placebo. They think it peps them up so they feel pepped up.

why mention it though ?

Good ol' Eddie began by saying something along the lines of "you guys (Hird, Everitt and Browny) were pretty open and frank about this at our dinner...".

Browny also said after the game it hits you.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 05:34:04 PM »
Having alot of caffiene will dehydrate you. Also the instant coffee's you can buy arn't anywhere near as strong as the coffee's made in the cafes around town. You'd need to drink a mountain of instant to get anywhere near the levels these tablets are giving off.

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2005, 05:42:25 PM »
Working near Calrton and Lygon Street means Instant coffee is a dirty word to a number of my workmates.

For something that puts hairs on your chest lol try the Italian chocolate drink (a cup full of liquid chocolate) from Brunetti's. It will keep you awake for ages :P.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown in strife over caffeine
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 04:23:44 AM »
Brown in strife over caffeine
By Dan Oakes
The Age
May 7, 2005

The fallout over the widespread use of caffeine by AFL footballers intensified yesterday, with Richmond star Nathan Brown believed to have received a blast from coach Terry Wallace over comments he made endorsing the stimulant.

It is believed that Wallace issued Brown with a "please explain" yesterday morning after the midfielder, whom he coached at the Western Bulldogs, said on Channel Nine's The Footy Show that he "normally took a couple before the game and one at half-time".

"It just gives you a bit of a buzz. It does give you an advantage," Brown said.

Wallace is believed to be concerned that younger players may be encouraged by Brown's admission to use the stimulant. He was also displeased by the implication that the use of caffeine is club policy. The Tigers' coaching and fitness staff will discuss its use next week.

Shortly after Brown's comments, Hawthorn star Peter Everitt revealed that the use of caffeine by footballers was widespread as far back as four years ago, a claim supported yesterday by former and current senior coaches. Everitt also admitted taking five caffeine tablets before and during games, the equivalent of 10 cups of coffee.

AFL medical commissioner Dr Harry Unglik yesterday cast doubts on the effectiveness and fairness of footballers using caffeine tablets as a performance enhancer.

Caffeine was removed from the list of substances banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency only in January last year. Recent revelations of use at AFL clubs since it was removed from the list have thrust caffeine into the limelight.

A memo was sent to club doctors four weeks ago, requesting feedback on increasing use of the stimulant. Fremantle, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Richmond and Collingwood have acknowledged that they have experimented with it in the past.

Unglik said yesterday that he stood by the AFL's official position, which is that although the substance is legal, it should be used under supervision by club doctors. But he said his personal view was that it was detrimental to the competition.

"If you're talking about large doses of caffeine, personally, I'm not giving the opinion of the AFL, I just don't like it," Unglik said. "I think it's pushing the boundaries, it's trying to get an edge that if you measured in terms of the advantage it gives on athlete over another athlete, you're talking . 1 per cent. I think we should have a level playing field."

On the subject of how long clubs had been experimenting with the stimulant, Unglik said that he was unaware that the practice began at least four years ago, but that testing procedures suggested it was not taken in doses exceeding the WADA guidelines.

Coaches The Age spoke to said a number of clubs were not only using caffeine, but also valium as a muscle relaxant after games. The strong theme that came through these discussions was that the use of stimulants such as caffeine was the domain of the fitness staff.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/05/06/1115092686435.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown let off over caffeine
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 04:26:09 AM »
Brown let off over caffeine
07 May 2005   
Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams and Jon Pierik

RICHMOND last night conceded Nathan Brown's comments about the use of caffeine tablets were inappropriate but the Tigers won't take any action against the star forward.

Brown admitted on the The Footy Show on Thursday night he took caffeine tablets before and during games.

"I normally take a couple before the game and then one at halftime," Brown said.

"It just gives you a bit of a buzz, purely caffeine."

Richmond football director Greg Miller said last night the club had spoken to Brown about his on-air comments.

Miller said the comments were inappropriate.

"We've had a quiet talk to Nathan," Miller said.

"While it's not a banned substance, it's no different to two cups of coffee, it's certainly not something we would want the younger generation to listen to. "That's our only issue, and Nathan agrees.

"It was more a discussion with him about what is appropriate and what is not."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15201969%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brown in strife over caffeine
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 05:22:18 AM »
Coaches The Age spoke to said a number of clubs were not only using caffeine, but also valium as a muscle relaxant after games.

Crazy stuff if valium is being used  :help :gobdrop

letsgetiton!

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2005, 08:44:19 AM »
Working near Calrton and Lygon Street means Instant coffee is a dirty word to a number of my workmates.

For something that puts hairs on your chest lol try the Italian chocolate drink (a cup full of liquid chocolate) from Brunetti's. It will keep you awake for ages :P.

now i know y i have  a gorilla chest! my mamma use d to bootle fed me espresso coffee as a baby, she always said milka is gud, butta caffe, mayka u a man ah!

ah its good to be sicilian!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2005, 08:49:19 AM »
Are these tablets like guarana?  Didn't some girl die or have a heart attack after having one of those guarana drinks like volt or red bull?

I think there's a big difference from having a pain killer in the knee compared to a caffeine tablet.  You don't need the caffeine tablet - whatever happened to natural adrenalin?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace has caffeine concerns
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 12:01:50 AM »
Wallace has caffeine concerns
5:16:46 PM Tue 10 May, 2005
Scott Spits
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace says he would have no objection if the AFL was to crackdown on players taking high doses of caffeine.

This came after AFL medical commissioner Harry Unglik confirmed the league was aware of studies that linked high doses of caffeine to heart problems and high blood pressure, and was concerned about unregulated use of caffeine by players.

The issue came to light on The Footy Show last week when Richmond's Nathan Brown, Hawthorn's Peter Everitt and Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich confirmed they were regular users of caffeine tablets - such as No-Doz - which are permitted under the AFL’s drug code.

Wallace said he was concerned about the message it sent to aspiring young footballers.

"I couldn't understand where football could possibly come out the winner from bringing those sorts of things to light," Wallace said on Tuesday.

"I just thought it put our game in a bad light that people are needing to use any enhancements to play the game."

Wallace confirmed he had voiced his concerns with the Richmond playing group and had already discussed the issue with Brown.

"I just don't think that it rings a great message at all to the game. As I said to my players yesterday, if I thought that we were responsible for 15 and 16 year old kids sneaking down to the local store to pick up No-Doz because they thought that was going to be the difference between them making the Northern Knights or the Calder Cannons, I'd be shattered with the message we were sending to junior football."

Wallace said no more than six senior players at Punt Road used caffeine tablets before and during matches. He also said the club had discussed banning their use.

"We've spoken about it. (But) it's not illegal. It's each player's individual right for their own preparation, providing they're not breaking the rules. I find that the very difficult thing because I don't agree with it myself," Wallace said.

"We've gone through an education process with them. Those who aren't on it I've been pretty strong on suggesting that they don't take them and don't get involved."

The club has advised its younger players not to use the caffeine tablets, and certainly not without the right medical advice.

"There's 100 things they need to work on that are going to make them better footballers more than what taking a couple of caffeine tablets, or No-Dos tablets, are going to do."
The AFL is expected to make an announcement soon on caffeine use and has advised club doctors that caffeine intake should be strictly supervised.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=201773

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown won't give up caffeine tablets
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 01:48:56 AM »
Brown won't give up caffeine tablets
11 May 2005   
Herald Sun
Jim Wilson

RICHMOND gun Nathan Brown is expected to continue taking caffeine tablets before and during games despite copping a verbal barrage from coach Terry Wallace.

Brown last night told the Herald Sun that he would not be making any further public comment on the use of caffeine tablets, saying what he did on match days was his business.

"It's a player's choice and from now on it remains private with me. But I take Terry's point that it doesn't send the right message by commenting publicly on the issue.

"I suppose it's not the sort of thing parents would want their kids to hear," Brown said.

Full article: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15246126%255E19771,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 07:51:20 AM »
Beats me how the media love these sort of stories and the story about the Tigers being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  We had the latter piece in Monday's paper but no mention of the Tigers thrashing the Blues.  Must be so hard for them to find something nice to say about us. >:(

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 08:20:21 AM »
Being a shift worker my whole life - well 20 years of shift work anyway. In the early days used to try no doz - from memory I don't remember it having much effect. Back in the late 80's early 90's there was these slimming tablets called medi slim - They didn't last long though - wooo hooo those things were deadly.

Dont really use much as a stimulant these days - maybe the odd cup of coffee - But usually at the start of a cycle of nightshift I'll have a red bull to get me though the first night. I reckeon if you had 2 or 3 of them before a game you would be doing Jacko's and climbing goalposts.