Author Topic: Bruce Monteath targets Tigers presidency ....... (Age)  (Read 7853 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bruce Monteath targets Tigers presidency ....... (Age)
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
Monteath targets Tigers presidency

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    September 21, 2012

RICHMOND'S last premiership captain Bruce Monteath is looking at a tilt at the Tigers' board and has enlisted the support of a wealthy backer who plans to offer $2 million in exchange for several club directorships.

In a power play that comes as a surprise given Richmond's off-field stability in recent years, Monteath approached club president Gary March eight weeks ago and plans another meeting in coming weeks.

A plan to challenge March this year remains a possibility but is more likely to come in 2013 with Monteath, 57, confirming to The Age last night that he was keen to make an official return to Tigerland.

It is believed a potential Monteath ticket includes a push to bring Neil Balme back to the club in a senior football role. His meeting with March in July saw the Balme issue raised, with the Tiger president insisting to Monteath that Craig Cameron must remain at the helm of the football department.

In the third instance of AFL club board rumblings in a week after Carlton's power play involving Ahmed Fahour and Luke Sayers and more recently Paul Dimattina's renewed Bulldogs challenge, March said last night he was not aware of any significant challenge. His intention was to remain at the helm of the Tigers until the end of next season when he is likely to step down.

March's succession plan has not been laid out but the most likely internal presidential prospects in terms of the current board are former international cricket boss Malcolm Speed or vice-president Maurice O'Shannassy.

Monteath supporters include wealthy IT entrepreneur Phillip Allison, who is believed to have signalled his desire for at least three places on the board in exchange for up to $2 million. Allison is believed to have been galvanising support for a Monteath ticket behind the scenes.

March said last night the club had determined at the start of his presidency that board positions were not for sale. This followed unrest towards the end of Clinton Casey's reign when Motorola's sponsorship of Richmond resulted in a senior executive of that company taking a position on the board.

''What's a challenge?'' March asked last night. ''If you're talking a challenge in terms of are we having anyone step up and nominate, well that hasn't happened yet. They may announce their intention to run closer to election time after we put our notice out at the end of October. Will Bruce run? I'm not sure.

''I would have thought we've got a pretty good board at the moment. We've determined some time ago you cannot be a sponsor of the club and take a place on the board.

''We've spoken to Bruce and he's a great Tiger man and I love his passion. In the meantime those directors who are up this year have indicated they will be standing again, so there are no vacancies.''

March said last month that Richmond anticipated a profit of more than $2 million at the end of this season following impressive match returns and a 2012 membership of more than 53,000.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/monteath-targets-tigers-presidency-20120920-269kf.html#ixzz271MNv0Qb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bruce Monteath targets Tigers presidency ....... (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:13:34 AM »
The 3 directors whose 3-year term is up I believe are Robert Dalton, Maurice O’Shannassy and Rex Chadwick. Gary March is up for re-election in 12 months time.

Remember under the constitution amendments passed last year, only two of the three spots will be determined via an election (if required). The third director will now be appointed by the Board within 90 days after the AGM.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:22:22 AM »
Monteath supporters include wealthy IT entrepreneur Phillip Allison, who is believed to have signalled his desire for at least three places on the board in exchange for up to $2 million. Allison is believed to have been galvanising support for a Monteath ticket behind the scenes.

It would seem good old Phil still trying to buy his way onto the board.  ::) ::)

Funny thing about Phil is he keeps telling people he wants to be on the board but for reasons he doesn't explain wont face the members at an election because he wants to be gifted the position  :banghead

Errrr NO - doesn't work like that. We don't need his $2 mil and all the strings that come with it  >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
NO BUYING POSITIONS ON THE BOARD!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
Good luck with that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
NO BUYING POSITIONS ON THE BOARD!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »
If Monteath wants the presidency he can wait 12 months and contest the vacant position.

WE DON'T NEED ANY DESTABILISING INFLUENCES NOW THAT WE HAVE FINALLY PUT THE SHIP ON THE CORRECT COURSE!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
I love the idea of getting rid of Cameron and bringing in Balme.

I'd vote for Monteath if he could get it done.
Bring Balme back to punt road!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
Nothing wrong with Cameron or March ATM.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
March was part of the Casey regime.
Cameron has made too many errors his history at Melbourne isnt good either.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »

Gifted Hardwick a contract extention that wasn't performance based.  If they can do that, how can they complain about board positions not being election based.   No real difference.  2 million donation to replace some duds.  How many finals have we played under March and Cameron's gifted leadership?

Malthouse would be coaching us now if it wasn't for these short sighted duds.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
Get Monteath now!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

dwaino

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
GET MICK QUICK

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
Hmmm do we really want a failed businessman as President of Richmond?

Property developer Bruce Monteath is poised to seek Bankruptcy Act protection
after failing to come up with a package to rescue his troubled Monteath Properties empire
from debts exceeding $30 million.
Pretty sure his business went into liquidation mid August 2012.

Alan Bond II
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.