Author Topic: Picks 31, 33 & 42. Any ideas?  (Read 24677 times)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Re: Picks 32, 34 & 43. Any ideas?
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
What is Stringer's injury concern?

How long ago and didn't he play this year for Bendigo Gold in the VFL?

I would take him at Number 9!

18 months ago & yes played 3 I think in VFL

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
What is Stringer's injury concern?

How long ago and didn't he play this year for Bendigo Gold in the VFL?

I would take him at Number 9!

18 months ago & yes played 3 I think in VFL

Didn't know an eighteen year old could play VFL and TAC Cup at the same time.

I would take Stringer and slot him in the midfield!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
he had a badly broken leg that took him a long time to recover from. he supposedly still has a limp and until recently could not kick with his left because it hurt.

There are also concerns over his attitude. FIGJAM possibly sums it. supposedly not backwards in giving teammates a spray and plays selfish for the glory.

If this is correct then a big pass on him.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
he had a badly broken leg that took him a long time to recover from. he supposedly still has a limp and until recently could not kick with his left because it hurt.

There are also concerns over his attitude. FIGJAM possibly sums it. supposedly not backwards in giving teammates a spray and plays selfish for the glory.

too much risk, i agree pass. On talent alone hes top 2, but we cant afford to stuff up and not get a potential 200 game player with our first pick.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »

Didn't know an eighteen year old could play VFL and TAC Cup at the same time.

Yep they can it's called the "23rd" man rule. It was introduced in 2011

VFL clubs can play 23 players in a game as long as the 23rd man is TAC cup player. Think there is a limit on how many times a player can play and how many times a club can use the 23rd man during the course of the season. It has been mainly used by VFL clubs in an alignment situation when recruiters make the request to see how the under 18 player goes against bigger bodies

Don't think the RFC will be allowed to use it in 2014 as the rule only applies to VFL sides not stand alone AFL teams in the VFL but not 100% sure on that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »

glad you said supposedly. theres nothing wrong with his attitude and hes very much a team player.  besides give me figjam like buddy darling etc on the ground rather than introverted like post.the best players have that arrogance and swagger. every time ive heard him speak in an interview he seems to be well spoken down to earth and easy going.

why is it we look for reasons to put players down. i can understand not wanting him because of the injury and the percieved risk that he may not get back his athleticism because of it.

but to bring his character into it i dont get.  hes probably well in front of where he should be after such an injury which says his attitude and desire to succeed is very good.
the fact he can play pretty decent footy and his left still affects him tells me more about the upside than the negative.
the only question i ask about this kid is will he get back his full use in his leg and his athleticism and fitness over the next couple of seasons.  every indicator says yes hes made fantastic inroads to this point.
you should get some vision on him the way he feeds the ball out he doesnt take on players unselfishley he seems to pick the right time to take players on is dustin martin selfish taking on players all the time. you want these big bodies taking it on anyway.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
Nick Newman, another Stingray has been spoken to by a number of clubs including Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond and Brisbane.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-afl-draft-rumors.980842/page-4#post-26434953

NICK NEWMAN

Born: 15/01/1993
Height: 186cm
Weight: 76kg
Club: Dandenong Stingrays

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-3020-111722-0-0&sID=77120&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=19363707

TAC Cup stats:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194656018&client=1-3020-111722-206344-16804359

---------------------------------------------------

Tim McGenniss - I know Richmond & Port have spoken to him at some stage, not sure he will be taken though. I must confess I dont no him personly but I no his family so im a little bias and want him to be drafted, but the couple of times Ive seen him play this year I've been super impressed with his leadership

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-afl-draft-rumors.980842/page-5#post-26437947

TIM MCGENNISS
Date of Birth: 18/01/1994
Height: 180cm
Weight: 76kg
Local Club: Frankston YCW
Club: Dandenong Stingrays

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-3020-111722-0-0&sID=77120&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=19363686

TAC Cup stats:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194656015&client=1-3020-111722-206344-16804359

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »

glad you said supposedly. theres nothing wrong with his attitude and hes very much a team player.  besides give me figjam like buddy darling etc on the ground rather than introverted like post.the best players have that arrogance and swagger. every time ive heard him speak in an interview he seems to be well spoken down to earth and easy going.

why is it we look for reasons to put players down. i can understand not wanting him because of the injury and the percieved risk that he may not get back his athleticism because of it.

but to bring his character into it i dont get.  hes probably well in front of where he should be after such an injury which says his attitude and desire to succeed is very good.
the fact he can play pretty decent footy and his left still affects him tells me more about the upside than the negative.
the only question i ask about this kid is will he get back his full use in his leg and his athleticism and fitness over the next couple of seasons.  every indicator says yes hes made fantastic inroads to this point.
you should get some vision on him the way he feeds the ball out he doesnt take on players unselfishley he seems to pick the right time to take players on is dustin martin selfish taking on players all the time. you want these big bodies taking it on anyway.

Ive seen vision of him, and on his attitude i'm only going on what others who talk like they are in the know say. and we are not talking about taking player on, but ignoring players in a better position and trying to do the glory crap.

It paints a picture of a mitch thorpe type persona.

are you saying this not correct? ( I actually questioned you about this previously) and how have you gleaned your insight to his character?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2012, 05:37:59 AM »
Emma Quayle said she has heard Thurlow is in the mix for our pick 32.

Jackson Thurlow
Hgt: 191cm
Wgt: 79kg
Club: Launceston
Position: defender

Articles:
Thurlow back in draft mix
Jackson Thurlow takes out Davidson Medal

Video highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGROQCn17JY

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:20 AM »

why is it we look for reasons to put players down.
I had to step away from the computer for a second after reading that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
Few days ago the Herald-Sun had 19yo 203cm 84g Darcy Fort from the Geelong Falcons, draft range 40 and above in the mix for the Tiges. Article said according to some astute judges was the best ruckman in the TAC by the end of the season.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-draft.959078/page-162#post-26443446

the claw

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »

why is it we look for reasons to put players down.

I had to step away from the computer for a second after reading that.

you cant tell the difference between a bloke like white whos had seven yrs and has exactly the same sort of poor performances and exactly the same weaknesses in his game after those 7 yrs you dont need to look for reasons with white they smack you in the face.
jake stringer is a18 yr old kid who is one of the best performers in the country against his fellow elite peers has all the attributes you can ask for and people are looking to find reasons why not to take him.

im sure hes done the odd sefish thing on the field but its not something that is happening every time he gets the ball. someones probably seen him have a shot at goal when a teammates in a better position and got into him for it and next thing you know hes a selfish player.ive seen enough of this kid  to know its nonsense.
whats not to like about him as i said every interview ive seen hes spoken well hes well liked and he works damned hard on the track please tell me what part of his attitude sucks.

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:33:10 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
From BF:   

Q. Have you heard about Richmond looking at Tim McGennis? Emma seems to think we're looking at him with one of our second rounders...

A. Those rumors are false. Kangaroos are the only club that have spoken to him and that was ages ago.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-afl-draft-rumors.980842/page-9#post-26447701

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
If Liam McBean doesn't get picked up inside the first 30, he could be on the Tigers' radar at pick 43. With their three second-round picks the Tigers also like McBean's Calder Cannons teammate Rory Atkins, while Jason Ashby is in the gun around this mark as well.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151313/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
From BF:   

Q. Have you heard about Richmond looking at Tim McGennis? Emma seems to think we're looking at him with one of our second rounders...

A. Those rumors are false. Kangaroos are the only club that have spoken to him and that was ages ago.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-afl-draft-rumors.980842/page-9#post-26447701
More replies to this:

A. Maybe so, but he laughed when he heard the rumors that the Tigers had spoken to him. He also doesn't reckon he'll get drafted and has already signed up to Frankston's VFL team for next year. You guys might still talk to him in the coming day or so but as I said, he couldn't believe it when he heard you guys were in to him.