Author Topic: What's our best 22 now?  (Read 95632 times)

Offline Crumden

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: What's our best 22 now?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
Jacko will continue to get games for the time being because what all the teams above show up is that we still have a lack of midfield depth. Most of the above sides have a starting mid/centreline of Cotchin, Foley, Deledio, Tuck and Grigg.  Then rotations come from Martin, Conca, S Edwards, Knights, Nahas. Of the rotations, only Martin and Conca are going to be quality midfielders (the others more forwards who can part time in the middle); and not many of those can play as defensive mids. Unless Ellis and Helbig and any new recruits come on quickly as midfielders, Jacko will still be getting games.

the claw

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
I think you'll find a number of varying sides in this thread. Was very hard to leave some guys out and where to place others. Then that's excluding any of our draftees doing well and I haven't got Knights or A.Edwards in my team who fair chance that they play round 1 at least.

I'm sure your right tigs. There is plenty of options there. I would be happy if you team lined up too which I think is a clear indicators that we have an increasing level of options/competition for spots now.

I noticed you had Newman in your forwardline - was that because you couldn't find room for him in your backline? You didn't have A. Edwards or Knights in the team - is that because you feel they need to earn their spots or aren't as good as other options we already have?

I decided to go tall in the forwardline with Griffiths, Jack and Vickery but I easily see Griffiths making way for a small forward such as Nahas if match ups required.

King is an interesting decision - he is one of the first picked each week based on structure and defensive pressure but does not have the ability of some of our better players. I wonder if he will be forced out of the team later in the year by another small forward such as Edwards, Knights, or a draftee? They would need to lift their defensive game if this was to happen imo.

I put Newman forward, half because I couldn't find a spot for him in the back half and half because we need a good user delivering inside 50. I think of the guys vying for HBF he's the best option on a HFF. Better than Houli/Batchelor IMO. Could probably swap Deledio/Newman as well.

Edwards and Knights I think certainly need to prove themselves. I think Edwards will play Round 1 but also think a lot of games we will go with 2 talls in Vickery/Riewoldt only or Griffiths will hopefully go past him during the year. Knights I think has a lot to prove, through either the NAB Cup or Coburg before he walks into the team.

Before I posted I didn't have King but think he's important to the side and will be picked most weeks. Round 1 he's likely to get Yarran and could go a long way to us winning. I had him starting with Nahas as sub as he could be really damaging late in games, coming on half way through 3rd quarter and burning opponents off. Still think he could kick 25 odd playing this role all year.
is newman a better option forward than edwards, edwards, knights, and martin or even nahas for that matter. i have to say no. only two possibilities for newman midfield or hb.

theres a fair few players who they will pick who are the problem i think people forget we didnt achieve a thing this yr we finished 12th again we finished 12th because of your jacksons nahas whites mcguanes kings etc they just arent good enough and importantly skilled enough.
we must change to improve  and it  will mean ordinary hacks no longer get a game.

oh yeah come on down jake stringer the best player in the 2012 nd. surely we will take him if we are lucky enough to have him there at 9. i can just drool now over stringer and martin rotating mid / forward. or even in the forward half together. who needs genuine forward flankers with these two in your side geez with stringer who needs kpfs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Best 22 .... (afl site)
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
AFL site's Richmond best 22:

B:    Morris       Rance     Grimes
HB:  Deledio    Chaplin    Newman
C:     Grigg        Tuck        Houli
HF:   Martin     Vickery     Griffiths
F:     Knights   Riewoldt   Edwards
R:    Maric    Cotchin    Foley
Int: Ellis, Batchelor, Astbury
Sub: Conca

Richmond
The Tigers were ruthlessly efficient during the Gillette AFL Free Agency Period. A key defender and an experienced midfielder were their clear targets and within 24 hours they had brought both Adelaide's Chris Knights and Port Adelaide's Troy Chaplin to the club. Knights can swing through the midfield and sneak forward, while Chaplin adds height, strength and experience to a backline that was probably the club's main weakness in 2012. The Tigers are putting together a strong side as they push for their first finals appearance in 12 years, and at this stage and at full strength, Robin Nahas and Jake King would battle to get a game.
 - Ashley Browne

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150669/default.aspx

the claw

Re: Best 22 .... (afl site)
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »

Richmond
The Tigers were ruthlessly efficient during the Gillette AFL Free Agency Period. A key defender and an experienced midfielder were their clear targets and within 24 hours they had brought both Adelaide's Chris Knights and Port Adelaide's Troy Chaplin to the club. Knights can swing through the midfield and sneak forward, while Chaplin adds height, strength and experience to a backline that was probably the club's main weakness in 2012. The Tigers are putting together a strong side as they push for their first finals appearance in 12 years, and at this stage and at full strength, Robin Nahas and Jake King would battle to get a game.
 - Ashley Browne

why would they name astbury on the bench. surely with rance, chaplin, grimes down back theres no spot for him unless he actually replaces one of them.
with riewoldt, griffiths, and vickery forward there is no place for him unless he actually replaces one of them.

hes not going to be the second ruckman surely.

what the hell are they doing naming vickery at chf is he or is he not to be the second ruckman. they better hurry up and decide. if he is surely he must play out of a pocket as a long target with significant time in the ruck,  a damn site more than in the past.
 if hes not our ruck stocks are even worse.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
Conca>Ellis.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »

Richmond
 - Ashley Browne

why would they name astbury on the bench. surely with rance, chaplin, grimes down back theres no spot for him unless he actually replaces one of them.
with riewoldt, griffiths, and vickery forward there is no place for him unless he actually replaces one of them.

what the hell are they doing naming vickery at chf is he or is he not to be the second ruckman. they better hurry up and decide. if he is surely he must play out of a pocket as a long target with significant time in the ruck,  a damn site more than in the past.
dont get too worked up craw, its just some journo, not the club itself.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:03 AM »

:lol  x 2

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
Is it Aaron or Shane Edwards in the forward line?
If Aaron, he is effectively getting rid of 90 odd goals in our forward line by not having Titch, Jake and Nahas in our forward line.
It might be "only" be a journo view but they do get paid to do this crap. Least they can do is put some critical thought into it  or log onto this forum and thread!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

B:      Morris          Rance         Grimes
HB:    Newman      Chaplin       Houli
C:      Grigg           Deledio       Conca
HF:    King             Vickery       Knights
F:      A.Edwards    Riewoldt      Nahas
R:      Maric           Cotchin        Martin

Int:    Foley, Tuck, Griffiths

Sub:   Ellis

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »

B:      Morris          Rance         Grimes
HB:    Newman      Chaplin       Houli
C:      Grigg           Deledio       Conca
HF:    King             Vickery       Knights
F:      A.Edwards    Riewoldt      Nahas
R:      Maric           Cotchin        Martin

Int:    Foley, Tuck, Griffiths

Sub:   Ellis

A Edwards over S Edwards?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

Richmond
 - Ashley Browne

Yep. The journo has Lids on a HBF when Lids no longer plays there.

The 3rd tall/CHF spot is still one I find difficult to pinpoint even if Vickery returns to his 2011 form. The Club brought in Aaron Edwards but he's just a fill in even if he commits himself after his latest misdemeanour.  Griffiths has the potential to fill the void but he played all last year in defence. With Chaplin now in the side it's time to push him forward. Elton and Astbury are still unknowns or different reasons - Elton is still developing while Astbury will hopefully improve significantly next year with a full preseason under his belt.

My best 22 at this stage:

HB:  Batchelor Chaplin   Houli
C:     Conca      Tuck       Deledio
HF:   Martin    Griffiths     Grigg
F:     Vickery   Riewoldt   S.Edwards
Int: Ellis, Newman, Knights
Sub: Pick 9 (assuming we draft a mid)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
Expecting to be howled down but based solely on form in the 2nd half of the season I really do wonder if Newman is still in our best 22  :huh :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
Expecting to be howled down but based solely on form in the 2nd half of the season I really do wonder if Newman is still in our best 22  :huh :-\

Yep. I think his 2012 form would have him right on the cusp. Although i'm keen to see how he goes without the Captaincy tag.