Author Topic: If You Were Francis Jackson On Thursday?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
If You Were Francis Jackson On Thursday?
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
OK Richmond enthusists, like me, love the draft, the unknown and the excitement!

BUT ... If you were Francis Jackson, who would you select with our 4 draft picks on Thursday?

Yes it's difficult because some players may be taken before but have a go and we shall see come Thursday 9pm who was close  :)

Pick, Player, Position, Why him?

Pick 9:

Pick 32:

Pick 34:

Pick 43:

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: If You Were Francis Jackson On Thursday?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Pick 9: Jake Stringer (Tall Midfielder)

Stringer is a "bull" and has a huge frame with great class to add with Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Conca and Ellis.

Pick 32: Aidan Corr (Tall Defender)

Corr is a no-nonsense defender similar to Dale Morris. A perfect future Centre Half Back. Could possible play in 2013 as a third or fourth tall later in the season. Creates pressure for Griffiths, Astbury, Elton to settle in a position.

Pick 34: Tim Sumner (Half Forward)

Sumner, a genuine half forward which we realistically need. After McDonald's failure, this player has a great attitude that Hardwick wants. Great mark too.

Pick 43: Jacob Ballard (Midfielder)

Ballard is competitive and a very good user of the football. Hard worker too which we need more of and inside midfielders.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
Love this stuff, best time of the year when your not in the finals which for us is all the time:
Pick 9: Keep changing my mind here but I reckon we will take Taylor Garner.  Only if one of O'Rourke or Toumpas arent there

Pick 32: Ben Kennedy - He's my big slider and we wont hesitate here

Pick 34: Nick Graham - We may think about Ben Jacobs here also.  Just the type of solid player we like

Pick 43: Tim Membrey (reckon he may slide due to being a tweener)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
Pick 9:scooby doo

Pick 32:bugs bunny

Pick 34:fred flintstone

Pick 43:road runner

I'll wait and see who they pick  8)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »

Pick 43: Jayden Post (Altona)
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Very informative! NOT!

If I were Jackson:

Pick 9: Grundy - Stringer - Mayes - Kennedy - Garlett - Simpson  whoever is available at this choice in this order...
Pick 32: Rory Atkin
Pick 34: Tim Sumner
Pick 43: Dean Towers.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Very informative! NOT!

If I were Jackson:

Pick 9: Grundy - Stringer - Mayes - Kennedy - Garlett - Simpson  whoever is available at this choice in this order...

We pretty much know nothing about these players apart from a quick youtube clip

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

Very informative! NOT!

If I were Jackson:

We pretty much know nothing about these players apart from a quick youtube clip

Not true.  Some of us know, club recruiters, TAC personnel, friends who have boys at these guys schools etc etc etc.  It's bait presumptuous of you to think that youtube is our only source of info!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
got to be another way to do it. who gets taken before your pick determines who you take especially when it comes to list needs.
an example would be if the 5 clubs with picks in front of us were crazy enough to overlook grundy you would have to take him. that would mean id probably over look jack hannath at 43 later in the draft. i am seriously lamenting we dont have another pick around 50.

for what its worth   if we take grundy early id be looking at pure mids with the next 3.
9/  Grundy not likely.
32/ jesse lonergan explosive inside big bodied mid  wont get to here but would be over the moon if he did. probably late 1st early 2nd rnd. i think nathan foley with his breakaway pace but much much bigger and more powerful. if we had pick 12/ 15 id be real tempted to take him there. as it is im hoping he slips to 32.
34/ sam lowrie good chance to get him here another real good sized  mid who is both  inside out. of all the mids going around i reckon hes most underrated.
43/ dean towers mature mid. there was a few here dean kent, jackson thurlow, marvin warrell, rory atkins at a stretch nick graham may get to here. in the end went with towers as the best chance to be here and we need a mid with pace and ability to run the lines.

50/55 if we had a pick here id be looking at a tall. mcintosh howson rodda possibly even jack hannath. possibly sully. a pick here we could really address some needs and round our draft out nicely.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
I've jumped off Macrae after considering the structural flexibility this bloke would give us and the fact that should he fully recover from his injury (and he should) we have effectively received a top 3 pick for 9.

Pick 9: Stringer
Pick 32: A midfield slider (Garlett or Kennedy etc) or Atkins
pick 34: McBean
Pick 43: Towers or Thurlow

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »

Pretty sure Maxwell is still on the Collingwood list

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »
I expect Francis to select

9 - Nick Vlastuin
32- Cameron Banfield
34- Liam Byrne
43- Tim McGenniss

* Not what I would select but all have things that we probably look for in players at the national draft. Jackson also likes to select players who havent had lots of media coverage or arent expected to go as high as we usually take them.

What I want is

9 - Brodie Grundy
32- Ben Kennedy
34- Tim McGenniss
43- Liam Byrne

Like Grundy & Kennedy  :thumbsup
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »
will admit i know nothing about liam byrne apart from he looks a good size and hes been injured.

thing is  hes on no ones radar and imo there is risk with him in the fact hes played just 2 yrs of footy.  id be loath to use a second rnd pick on such a player one who obviously has a lot to learn. we do this all the time imo reach for players. surely he would be about the place at 82 or even in the rookie draft. hes certainly less credentialled against his peers than many at 32 and 34.
if they are dead keen on him surely it would have to be our last pick at 43 maybe we can put newman on the vets and take a kid like him very late

in saying this he may be a gem but i do have concerns not with the player himself but with the reaching or process  and seemingly ignoring what other players  have done.
we have got very few 2nd and 3rd round picks right under jackson and imo its because we ignore the better performed safer bets for upside.
havent said it well i know. im not trying to criticise here just saying something that is in the back of my mind with jackson and the way we go about it at times.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
3 days to go ...

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
Pick 9: Grundy (I wish)

Pick 32: Lonnergan

Pick 34: Thurlow

Pick 43: Nelson