Author Topic: Richmond makes record $3 million profit !!!  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond makes record $3 million profit !!!
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »
Caro mentioned the other day on one of the ABC TV sports shows that the Pies will be announcing a $5m profit.

The Demons made a small profit btw.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/good-news-for-demons-20121203-2aqj1.html

2012 AFL CLUB FINANCIAL RESULTS

Richmond: $3,017,742 profit

Hawthorn: $2,023,720 profit

North Melbourne: $1,193,080 operating profit

Essendon:  $401,429 profit

Melbourne: $77,618 operating profit

Bulldogs:   $136,679 operating loss

Carlton:     $683,799 loss

Brisbane:  $2,513,262 net operating loss

Port Adelaide: $4,120,000 operating loss

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
The AFL must be sweating bullets over the sustainability and long term viability of clubs like Port and Brisbane. I would imagine GWS and GC would be operating at a loss too. Then there are the smaller Melbourne clubs that are going into onfield decline including the Dogs and Saints. Clubs like ours will continue to get bigger and make it very difficult for these weaker clubs to compete in the future. Realistically having clubs such as the Tiger, Collingwood and Essendon down the ladder is probably better for the financial sustainability of the competition than having the weaker clubs down their.

I predict troubling years ahead for the competition if this trend continues......but really as long as the Tigers are flying who really cares  :eyebrow :dancing

tony_montana

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
The AFL must be sweating bullets over the sustainability and long term viability of clubs like Port and Brisbane. I would imagine GWS and GC would be operating at a loss too. Then there are the smaller Melbourne clubs that are going into onfield decline including the Dogs and Saints. Clubs like ours will continue to get bigger and make it very difficult for these weaker clubs to compete in the future. Realistically having clubs such as the Tiger, Collingwood and Essendon down the ladder is probably better for the financial sustainability of the competition than having the weaker clubs down their.

I predict troubling years ahead for the competition if this trend continues......but really as long as the Tigers are flying who really cares  :eyebrow :dancing

Are we really flying though stripes? Take away $3mill or thereabouts from FTF and our operating profit is probably similar to Melbournes.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »

That is probably my greatest confusion with the profit. How much of it has been generated from the FTF? This has never been fully explained to me as yet.

Regardless though a under performing Richmond still can push a profit while an under performing Port goes into the red by over 4 mill.
Are we really flying though stripes? Take away $3mill or thereabouts from FTF and our operating profit is probably similar to Melbournes.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »
Collingwood has made a $7.83m profit although it includes almost $3m from the AFL rights deal for the redevelopment of their Westpac training centre. Operating profit was $4.86m.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/78m-jackpot-20121204-2atcf.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/collingwood-records-7m-in-black-and-white-as-financial-power-increases-divide-between-rich-and-poor/story-e6frf9jf-1226530046390

Collingwood: $7,835,080 profit

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:30 AM »
Collingwood has made a $7.83m profit although it includes almost $3m from the AFL rights deal for the redevelopment of their Westpac training centre. Operating profit was $4.86m.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/collingwood-records-7m-in-black-and-white-as-financial-power-increases-divide-between-rich-and-poor/story-e6frf9jf-1226530046390

:huh3 :huh3

Hmmm...it seems all clubs got extra funding from the AFL this year as part of the "Futures Fund". This means we would have received our $2.5+ mil as well. Which is forms part of our profit. Granted we had to use that money in pre-determined areas but it leads me back to my original question what's our profit from operations.

Pies have clearly highlighted their "total" profit and distinguished it from their "operating" profit.

Have said it before all clubs should do it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »
I've got the feeling, that with the FTF and the AFL handout, we may have an operating loss  :o

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »

We'll never get that
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Rampstar

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
If our figures include fighting tiger fund money and an afl handout from the afl and if that handout was as WP says possibly over $2.5 million then I would hate to see the real operating figures. Indeed it seems that was is going on now is what was going on when Iain Campbell was CEO but Iain didnt have money from a FightingFund and Im pretty sure he didnt have a $2.5 million handout from the AFL either to balance the books.
RFC better be pretty sure that it is able to manage its finances down the track because one day the money from the fighting tiger fund wont be their and the AFL may also cut down handouts especially to the Vic clubs if the likes of GWS and GCS and Port start to really struggle.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
If our figures include fighting tiger fund money and an afl handout from the afl and if that handout was as WP says possibly over $2.5 million then I would hate to see the real operating figures. Indeed it seems that was is going on now is what was going on when Iain Campbell was CEO but Iain didnt have money from a FightingFund and Im pretty sure he didnt have a $2.5 million handout from the AFL either to balance the books.
RFC better be pretty sure that it is able to manage its finances down the track because one day the money from the fighting tiger fund wont be their and the AFL may also cut down handouts especially to the Vic clubs if the likes of GWS and GCS and Port start to really struggle.
Fair call Ramps although as Collingwood are now showing - a few years of sustained success will create a snowball effect on income generated from supporters, sponsors, etc
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »

:huh3 :huh3

Hmmm...it seems all clubs got extra funding from the AFL this year as part of the "Futures Fund". This means we would have received our $2.5+ mil as well. Which is forms part of our profit. Granted we had to use that money in pre-determined areas but it leads me back to my original question what's our profit from operations.

Pies have clearly highlighted their "total" profit and distinguished it from their "operating" profit.

Have said it before all clubs should do it

is there a reason why WE dont do it?

it seems they dont want to be transparent.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »

is there a reason why WE dont do it?

it seems they dont want to be transparent.

I believe it has nothing to do with transparency to be honest.

There are minimum legal requirements regarding how companies must present their annual accounts. The RFC are meeting that requirement, nothing more nothing less.

Other clubs for whatever reason chose do go into greater detail, that's all.

The only reason I keep harping on about this is because for whatever reason last year the Club declared what our operating profit was excluding all the extras in particular the FTF monies. This year they've decided not too.

I just think it's important so we can compare apples with apples rather than comparing apples to grapefruits 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
Port apparently forgot to mention to the media about one or two million dollar lifeline grants. So their actual operating loss is $6.3 million  :o.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/port-adelaides-trading-loss-is-63m/story-e6frf9jf-1226531585920

Port Adelaide: $6,300,000 operating loss

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
the Fairweather fans of the Lions are killing them. If they didn't have those multi-coloured seats at the Gabba which give you the false impression that there are more people in the crowd, the place would look like Pripyat in recent times.

You have to question how long this club will survive, especially if the minnows up the road start having more success.