Author Topic: Cotchin wants to keep no.9 (Will likely be named captain by end of the week)  (Read 4605 times)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
let him keep the 9. 

if the board rejects it and forces cotchy to wear the no.17, they are flogs.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Footy Dept surely doesn't recommend anyone. Wouldn't they just inform the board of who the players voted in as captain? Then they approve it unless it is Dan Connors who the boys voted to represent the club ;D

Why does this number 17 thing need to be reversed at board level? Was it even a rule in the first place rather than an option for the captain? Just let Chimp wear #9 FFS WGAF ;D

Coach in answer to the 2nd part - it needs to be ratified/reversed because the RFC is a registered company and bound by Corps Law. Board resolutions (that was the word I was looking for before not rule  ;D) are recorded in the the board minutes which are legal documents of a company (they are actually reviewed as part of an audit). Anything passed as a resolution becomes binding, therefore anything that is "binding" to bypass it must be put forward as a another resolution and an ratified for it to be reversed. The Number 17 for the captain was a resolution and therefore is binding.

As for the first bit, your are correct the footy dept will pass all the info onto the board but I think you will find buried away somewhere in the constitution it says the appointment of captain must be ratified by the board. As I said all clubs do it. Who could forget at Port Adel Mark Williams wanted Kane Cornes for Captain and the Board vettoed it and appointed Carsisi instead  ;D

As I said it's a very interesting debate  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Example I found:

THEY used these on the JD memorial game, i bought one at auction
iirc it was against the dawks when they wore it

Nah it was against Port Adelaide at Etihad

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Example I found:

THEY used these on the JD memorial game, i bought one at auction
iirc it was against the dawks when they wore it

Nah it was against Port Adelaide at Etihad
It was against Hawthorn ...

Happy little campers weren't we then  :lol

The Port game at Etihad had the Jack Dyer tribute banner

Source: Getty Images

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caro said the idea was created under the Clinton Casey admininstration and anything that admin came up with you'd scrap lol.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Stand corrected

I have Leon Cameron's guernsey from that day = his last AFL game, with the 17 on it  :thumbsup

Caro said the idea was created under the Clinton Casey admininstration and anything that admin came up with you'd scrap lol.

So Caro doesn't know the finer details of why they introduced it then?

Hellenic Tiger

Ditto :yep

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil

Stand corrected

I have Leon Cameron's guernsey from that day = his last AFL game, with the 17 on it  :thumbsup

Can I have it?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
A little No.17 on the front, no thanks. The club needs to get rid of the idea altogether. It is not a 'tradition' of the club, it was only a recent idea and it was bad.
Trent Cotchin is too good to be living in anyone's shadow.

And like the Board is going to knock back Cotchin's request when they are about to re-open contract discussions with him  :lol
This is one of those moments where the board realises that it is powerless to do anything. :gotigers

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
The '17' idea was an emotional knee-jerk reaction.
Jack Dyer's memory will be rightly well preserved at Tigerland through many channels  but it's time this gimmick was put out to pasture.

Cotchin will carve out his own piece of Richmond history and make the number 9 revered.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

Maybe not WP but it's bloody hard to argue with her line of thinking.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jack Dyer's memory will be rightly well preserved at Tigerland through many channels  but it's time this gimmick was put out to pasture.

Cotchin will carve out his own piece of Richmond history and make the number 9 revered.

got it in one really,  :thumbsup

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

Maybe but why does it becomes the players decision?  :huh
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
So hypothetically if cotch keeps no 9, then what becomes of no 17? does it sit and wait for our next big thing? or is there anyone who could don the jumper now?

Personally i'd prefer cotch to wear no 9, but if that happens it leaves the question what becomes of 17 and tbh I dont know what i'd do if I was in charge, its a hrad call to make...  :-\
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Can I have it?

No!  ;D

I think what's got lost is the fact that the decision of having the captain wear number 17 has a bit more to do with it than it simply being a memorial to Jack Dyer

A little No.17 on the front, no thanks. The club needs to get rid of the idea altogether. It is not a 'tradition' of the club, it was only a recent idea and it was bad.
Trent Cotchin is too good to be living in anyone's shadow.

This number 17 things has been in place now 9 seasons, so yes in terms of how long we've had it is relatively new but to have and create a tradition one needs to start it. that's what they did

I would think you can make a case that every player who wears a significant number at any club lives in the shadow of all previous players who wore that number until they create their own career, history and eventually legacy

Maybe but why does it becomes the players decision?  :huh

Yep and that's what a group of us were discussing yesterday.

the other thing that I find interesteing is that no one was up in arms when Cambo was given the number 17 (he was the first), no one was mortified that Kane Johnson had to move to 17 and give up number 28 for 4 years. No one jumped up[ and down when Newy had to put number 1 in mothbalss for the last 4 years.

But now it's Cotch it's front page news. The difference? apart from Cotchin being a much better player?

I grew up when the clubs best palyer was usually given number 17 (Rioli, Broderick) until Paul Hudson came along. If that was concept was still in play right now then I reckon most people would say Cotchin should have been given & be wearing number 17. It's kind of ironic  ;D

Said it before will say it again it's an interesting debate
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:05:50 PM by WilliamPowell »