Author Topic: Cotchin wants to keep no.9 (Will likely be named captain by end of the week)  (Read 4607 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/trent-bucks-leading-trend-20121120-29o3l.html

THE inevitable decision to appoint Trent Cotchin as Richmond's next captain has been hit with a numerical twist - the 22-year-old Tigers' star wants to retain his old number.
Rather than follow the relatively recent tradition of taking the No. 17 made famous by club legend Jack Dyer, Cotchin has told the club he wishes to keep the No. 9 that he has worn for the length of his football career on the back of his guernsey.
The Cotchin bid is understood to have been raised at Tuesday night's board meeting following the club's announcement on Monday of a record $3 million profit. His captaincy is expected to be announced in the coming days.

While the Cotchin captaincy has long been considered a formality, Gary March and his directors would have to ratify the break from the No. 17 tradition that was put in place by the Clinton Casey board shortly after Dyer's death in 2003.
Wayne Campbell adopted the No. 17 in the last year of his captaincy and two subsequent Richmond skippers in Kane Johnson and Chris Newman, who quit the captaincy at the end of the season, followed the tradition. Campbell also wore No. 9 for seven years of his eight-year captaincy.
Whatever the board's decision on the captaincy number, Newman is expected to revert to his old No. 1 next season.
March was tight-lipped on the issue on Tuesday, but confirmed that
the new Richmond captain would probably be announced before the team leaves for its North Queensland training camp next week. The Tigers depart next Monday for a 10-day camp in Cairns.
Cotchin is at present with the bulk of his senior teammates from the 2012 leadership group at a two-day leadership camp on the Mornington Peninsula. Also there is a a group of coaches all under the guidance of Campbell, who now holds a senior position in Richmond's football department.
Cotchin, who is also in contract negotiations with Richmond with his current deal ending at the end of 2013, finished runner-up in the Brownlow this year and won his second successive club championship - also named after Dyer, who won six best-and-fairests and captain-coached Richmond to the 1943 flag.
Dyer's statue holds pride of place outside the Punt Road Oval and there is also a room named in his honour at the club.
Tiger greats Barry Richardson and Maurice Rioli are among those to have worn 17.
According to Richardson, a three-time premiership player with the Tigers who also coached and was president of the club, it was the lure of Dyer's number that led to him choosing Richmond over Melbourne in 1964.
''Jack came down to visit us on the farm in Barnawartha and was very charming,'' Richardson recalled. ''He complimented my mother on her scones and as he left he told me if I joined the Tigers I could have his number.
''Melbourne had offered me an MCC membership, which was a big thing, but it was Jack's number that got me over the line to Richmond.''
Richardson said he had some sympathy with Cotchin's call. ''I tend to think that numbers are made by players themselves,'' he said, ''and if a player wants to create his own history then they should have that choice.
''Mind you, if the No. 17 tradition was named after me I might be a bit dirty on him.''

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good.

What, that players are still running the club?
It's not his decision
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
A number of players like wearing the same number throughout their career. I didn't mind the idea of the captain wearing #17 but in Cotch's case he should stick to the #9. It's the number we all associate with him and he's arguably our most popular player along with Jack especially with our young supporters. It wouldn't surprise me if Cotch has taken this stand because he's thinking of the kids (he runs the Cotch's cubs footy clinics). You'll have all these kids out there with #9 on their back who adore him and all of a sudden their no longer wearing the number of their hero just because he has been made captain.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think JD has enough already.  He has a statue, a stand, the B&F, and the mascot named after him.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Agree, the captain should be allowed to wear his own number in keeping with his own identity.

Remember what he really represents is "Richmond" not "Jack Dyer"
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
WTF has it got to do with the board?

It should be the football depts decision.

surely if the bloke is worthy of being captain, then his wish in such a matter should be accepted?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why can't we retire the #17 like we should have when he died, and the captain retain their own number and simply have a small '17' on the front under the AFL logo or something, to signify they are captain?

More than happy for him to keep running around in 9 though  :clapping

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Example I found:

Rampstar

great idea  :clapping

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
WTF has it got to do with the board?

It should be the football depts decision.

surely if the bloke is worthy of being captain, then his wish in such a matter should be accepted?

:clapping

LMAO @ a bunch of gimps on our board deciding what number Chimp will wear. Chimp could put on 40kgs, stand in the square all day and I'd still be applauding that sexy beast.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
common sense has prevailed.

Cotch can create his own history

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline hammo1976

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
WHO CARES JUST LET COTCHY DO WHAT HE WANTS AS LONG AS HE IS IN THE RICHMOND COLOURS IM ALL GOOD.... WHY THE BOARD NEED TO GET INVOLVED IS BEYOUND ME...... JUST PUT THE 17 IN THE CORNER FOR CAPTAIN JACK.... THINK ITS PROBABLY BEING BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER A BIT.... NOTHING MUCH TO WRITE ABOUT THE PAPERS TODAY.....

GO U TIGERS

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
No player is bigger than the club!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Why can't we retire the #17 like we should have when he died, and the captain retain their own number and simply have a small '17' on the front under the AFL logo or something, to signify they are captain?

More than happy for him to keep running around in 9 though  :clapping

Really, retiring the number 17 is just as silly as making the incumbent wear it.

Don't agree with having to have the number 17 appear anywhere on the jumper at all, total waste of time
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.