Author Topic: Nick Vlastuin [merged]  (Read 235152 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 9: Nick Vlastuin
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
Equal 9th favourite now for the Rising Star award at $19.

Source: Centrebet

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' top pick set to play (Age)
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
Tigers' top pick set to play

Emma Quayle
    The Age
    March 25, 2013

Richmond is set to introduce its top draft pick in the season opener for the fourth consecutive year, with Nick Vlastuin likely to line up against Carlton on Thursday night.

The Blues and Tigers will meet on similar terms selection wise, with both missing just two players from their first-choice line-ups.

Carlton cannot yet consider Jarrad Waite, who has a calf complaint, while the club suspended Heath Scotland for its first two matches after he pleaded guilty to an assault charge last year.

Richmond defender Dylan Grimes, returning from a serious hamstring injury, played his second VFL match on Sunday but the four-day turnaround means he will probably be saved for round two.

Veteran Tiger Nathan Foley is nearing the final stages of recovery from the Achilles tendon he tore last season.

Vlastuin is one of at least three potential new Tigers, with former Port Adelaide defender Troy Chaplin, recruited as a free agent last year, likely to play after returning from knee surgery midway through the NAB Cup.

Ex-Demon Ricky Petterd has made a strong impression at half-back and was upgraded from the rookie list last week, along with ruckman Orren Stephenson.

Vlastuin was Richmond's first selection at No.9 in the national draft and his head-down playing style has endeared him to his coaches and teammates.

If selected, the 18-year-old, recruited from the Northern Knights, would join Dustin Martin, Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis as first-round picks to play round one.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-top-pick-set-to-play-20130324-2gnzp.html#ixzz2OVhe9rUL

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers' top pick set to play (Age)
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
Dimma stated very early on during Pre-season that players would have to earn their spots in the team for game one given the competition for positions. I thought our new 18yr old recruits would have no chance of earning a spot with the strength of our list.

Vlaustin has impressed from the first game I saw him play with not only his endevour but also his decision making. He seems to have an old head on young shoulders. I feel, based on form, he will make a great additonal to the midfield rotations (or as a sub at the very least).

Great effort by the lad and great to see that we are finally making some astute choices with our ND picks!  :clapping

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
It's a bit of a nothing article.

Note the "If selected to play" at the end. This isn't a scoop; just another piece of speculation.

dwaino

« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
The day our first round draft picks can't walk into the side round 1 is the day our list is finally strong. I like Vlastuin, but if he can play then surely the rest of the list isn't much chop.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
The day our first round draft picks can't walk into the side round 1 is the day our list is finally strong. I like Vlastuin, but if he can play then surely the rest of the list isn't much chop.
I disagree. Often many of the top teams debut their draft picks in round 1.
Debutants bring enthusiasm and a window to the future!
The guy can play. Would rather him than some that have been tried and failed on the big stage!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
Just play the best 22. Who knows, he might end up as good as Joel Selwood.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »

Yeah sort of agree although I think Nicks a bit different than conca and ellis

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2013, 08:34:05 PM »
He will play and could be the X factor player we are after, would love to see him play a great cameo in this game, certainly earned his spot during the pre season, flown under the blues radar a bit I think!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »

Joel Selwood anyone. :shh

dwaino

« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »

Yeah sort of agree although I think Nicks a bit different than conca and ellis

I really like the kid and have huge wraps on him, but who is he leaving out? Jackson? White? Arnot? Helbig? Foley is injured so I'll concede on that one. One or two more of these blokes and we'll be laughing.

Would love to win round 1 but I just feel going in with green kids we're just a little under powered.

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
Has potential to do what mitch robinson did in his first game against us back in RD 1 2009.

That awful night Mitch had 7 kicks, 6 handballs, 4marks, 3goals, 6 tackles and 4 I50. From memory i think he lined up on either Tambling or McMahon, so that might explain a bit.

Vlastuin is young, tough, hard into contests and finds the ball.

If he plays and he's matched up against a first gamer he will likely dominate.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
Would actually like to see him line up on Garlett or one of the indigenous fellows!! Shut that run down.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
Would love to win round 1 but I just feel going in with green kids we're just a little under powered.
You don't become captain of VM if your a mug.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
Vlaustin - 22 possessions, 5 inside 50s

---

Round 1 -> Coburg

Coburg Football Club He did play, solid game. 6 tackles 20 odd touches.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:18:35 PM by Bentleigh-esque »