Author Topic: Matthew McDonough [merged]  (Read 31172 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Matthew McDonough [merged]
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
Seems you don't rate anyone at Richmond claw  :shh
mate all players have weaknesses all i have done is point them out with our players. some i rate highly some i think can play with those weaknesses or overcome them.
imo there some roles players should be asked to do and some they just dont have the attributes to perform so why ask em to do it.

what role are we looking to do with both lennon and mcdonough in defense. what type of player will they play on and have to defend. clearly we will look to free em up and have them use their foot skills in bringing it out. thats fine when the game goes to plan but what happens when it goes wrong and you need to play 1v1  you get your pants pulled down.who goes to say a rioli when morris is getting the run around mcdonough. nope too slow. do we leave bruest and puopolo free. cmon when in defense you must be able to defend.

a lennon  at 188cm and slow of foot will not be asked to play on smalls in defense. hes not a natural defender so wont read it as well as say a vlastuin and cut it off.     so he will play on mediums like chris mayne same height but quicker and much bigger what will the end result be.. it would be great if we could get the ball in his hands but not so great if hes forced to play 1v1.

this has been our trouble when allowed to play the way we want all is good but when clubs put the clamps on it goes to poo. atm all i ask is we play our kids in a role that will best allow em to succeed and develop. then once they have done that broaden their scope.
 it seems we always have kids who come to the club say as a fwd and before you can say boo they are in defense.

i remember brad hardie winning a brownlow from the back pocket.he would get shedloads of ball provide good run and delivery every one would rave about his game but his direct oppenent has kicke 5 and they have lost the game by 2 goals. defenders must be capable of doing both roles real well.the better defenders do indeed do both roles well.

tony_montana

« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
spot on claw,  what you described above is what newman has gotten away with over the years. Great rebounder, highly skilled peg, no-one disputes that, but his opponents have been giving him the run around for years.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
Not really sure what type of player McDonough can be.
From what I have seen I don't rate him at all. Just a small, slow, slightly heavy little guy with ok skills.
I know what position we would like him to play but I just don't think he has enough, if any tricks.
Can someone give me a decent player in the AFL that he could become like?
I'm not trying to be a hater but just not sure why we would draft this type of player. Completely the wrong body shape for the small forward type we drafted him for and his lack of genuine pace renders him to slow as well.
Good luck to him though, I hope he proves me wrong. I'd be happy if he did.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
From what I have seen I don't rate him at all. Just a small, slow, slightly heavy little guy with ok skills.
I know what position we would like him to play but I just don't think he has enough, if any tricks.
I'm not trying to be a hater but just not sure why we would draft this type of player. Completely the wrong body shape for the small forward type we drafted him for and his lack of genuine pace renders him to slow as well.

Agree 100%  :thumbsup
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »
spot on claw,  what you described above is what newman has gotten away with over the years. Great rebounder, highly skilled peg, no-one disputes that, but his opponents have been giving him the run around for years.
could equally apply it to houli as well.when was the last time we saw houli do a shut down job on a garlett or betts its morris or nothing with us.

All either to slow, too small or too tall. Or just cant play.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but most dont pass that opinion as fact. Ridiculous.

Lets see what this guy has offer before we either condem or praise.

reckon im always putting IMO in my posts.
and yes its my opinion lennon is slow as is mcdonough. yes its my opinion that lennon at 188cm is undersized atm. he would be lucky to break 80kg.
mate we have watched mcdonough for two yrs now surely that is enough time for anyone to see he lacks leg speed. we have seen he does not offer pace. but wait lets not criticise a players weaknesses  that just isnt the done thing.

what amazes me is we continue to scream out for a quality sml/med fwd or two,   we draft a few of these types and then  refuse to play em fwd.instead playing them where they are most vulnerable.
yet we draft a promising hard running defender who has all the right attributes to play in defense and has shown an ability to actually defend a player and we refuse to play him back. yes like wp i like what attributes mcintosh has for the role. weather he makes it or not time will tell.

tony_montana

« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »

He's definitely not a Betts/Garlett/Rioli type smll nippy fwd, more a Porplezia, LeCras type in the sense that he can play out of the square and plays taller. Takes a good grab 1 v 1 against opponents of similar size ie small defenders. Not super quick but is smart and knows where the goals are. Not saying he's going to be a player of the ilk of porplyzia or lecras but just trying to give a comparison into the type of role he played well in juniors and is best suited to imo.

tony_montana

« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
could equally apply it to houli as well.when was the last time we saw houli do a shut down job on a garlett or betts its morris or nothing with us.

All either to slow, too small or too tall. Or just cant play.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but most dont pass that opinion as fact. Ridiculous.

Lets see what this guy has offer before we either condem or praise.

reckon im always putting IMO in my posts.
and yes its my opinion lennon is slow as is mcdonough. yes its my opinion that lennon at 188cm is undersized atm. he would be lucky to break 80kg.
mate we have watched mcdonough for two yrs now surely that is enough time for anyone to see he lacks leg speed. we have seen he does not offer pace. but wait lets not criticise a players weaknesses  that just isnt the done thing.

what amazes me is we continue to scream out for a quality sml/med fwd or two,   we draft a few of these types and then  refuse to play em fwd.instead playing them where they are most vulnerable.
yet we draft a promising hard running defender who has all the right attributes to play in defense and has shown an ability to actually defend a player and we refuse to play him back. yes like wp i like what attributes mcintosh has for the role. weather he makes it or not time will tell.

Reckon McDonough is a lot quicker than lennon, he's not super quick but he's definitely not slow.

Also saw Lennon this preseason and he's huge now, looks like he's bulked up considerably, hope he's quicker too!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:23 PM »

He's definitely not a Betts/Garlett/Rioli type smll nippy fwd, more a Porplezia, LeCras type in the sense that he can play out of the square and plays taller. Takes a good grab 1 v 1 against opponents of similar size ie small defenders. Not super quick but is smart and knows where the goals are. Not saying he's going to be a player of the ilk of porplyzia or lecras but just trying to give a comparison into the type of role he played well in juniors and is best suited to imo.
Thanks Tone for your thoughts.
Those two you mentioned were elite in the air for blokes of their size. Not sure Matt is anywhere near that or will be left one out in the square like the other two.
If he becomes even half as good as those two at their prime he will be in our best 22.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »
Also BT, Mcdo has better than just 'ok' skills. He is a beautiful kick on both sides. Very natural player.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »
While I do agree he should play forward
He's playing forward.

Didn't he play off half back for a while?

Also can you get Lennon on the scales, I reckon he'd be above 80kg but Claw seems to think he's below that

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
He's playing forward.

Also can you get Lennon on the scales, I reckon he'd be above 80kg but Claw seems to think he's below that
What sort of beast has claws and scales?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
He's playing forward.

most player dont magically stack on 8 10 kg in one yr. id reckon 3 or 4 would be the norm. at 77kg even if he stacks on 5kg that leaves him  at 82kg and still well shy of where he needs to get.
i hope hes put on size and gained the core strength that goes with it. the sooner he can get to about 88kg the sooner he plays on an equal footing.
again all im saying is play him in roles that dont put him behind the 8 ball to start with.if we want him coming off h/b play him there when he has developed the attributes to perform well there size and strength woulkd go a long way to allow this. his pace will remain an issue though opposition clubs will go out of their way to exploit it and hes most vulnerable with it in defense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
He could play tough footy at 85kg, but even that would take another year from now. 88-90kg we won't be seeing until probably 2017-18 if he gets there at all. Bulking up too young will make his pace even worse and probably wear his joints too much. He will need to mature physically before adding some proper weight. He's just not built like Martin etc

No reason why he can't play tough footy around 190/85 though. Plenty of wiry blokes out there with lean bodies but hard heads. Grant Birchall is below that ideal height/weight formula but is tough as nails, as are a handful of blokes on that Hawks list.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »
He could play tough footy at 85kg, but even that would take another year from now. 88-90kg we won't be seeing until probably 2017-18 if he gets there at all. Bulking up too young will make his pace even worse and probably wear his joints too much. He will need to mature physically before adding some proper weight. He's just not built like Martin etc

No reason why he can't play tough footy around 190/85 though. Plenty of wiry blokes out there with lean bodies but hard heads. Grant Birchall is below that ideal height/weight formula but is tough as nails, as are a handful of blokes on that Hawks list.
dont think birchall a good example andyy. hes basically been listed at 91 to 93 kg since 2010. at 193  he fits the criteria within a kg or 2. he also has really good pace for a bloke his height. apart from that i agree with what your saying.
but lennon in yr 2 who is slow by foot and still undersized should be played in a role where he can best compete and succeed.
mate if i wanted a 188cm or smaller  defender ready to go i can think of two mature types at east fremantle in the wafl who would give more in defence than lennon and have better attributes to play back there.
geez how tom howlett has not been picked up by an afl club is beyond me. and the same goes for his team mate andrew stephen who imo would easily be the best sml/med defender in the wafl with all the attributes to play afl.
sorry thats a little off tangent but why not address a need with a type who can address the need and play a kid like lennon in his best role.