Author Topic: Tigers need new Merchandise Sponsor  (Read 4023 times)

PuntRdRoar

Tigers need new Merchandise Sponsor
« on: May 17, 2005, 07:46:13 PM »
RFC seriously need to consider trying to get an Adidas or a Puma poo even Slazenger produce better stuff than Concept. I have found the quality from what Ive seen to be poor. Im sure RFC merchandise sales would increase if we had better stuff from a well known name.

Also the club should look at producing an RFC Soccer or Rugby top to sell to the supporters ... Heaps better to wear at BBQs in the summer and since im starting this thread on merchandising...IMHO the tigers should get a designer to design a new tiger logo....more in the mould of soccer logo...the current one has been used a long time now. Your thoughts please

Bulluss

Re: Tigers need new Merchandise Sponsor
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:31:16 PM »
I agree with the need to contract a major clothing sponsor,

but I dont agree to us changing our logo. I think it is symbolic with the club.

Also agree Ramps that they could also develop the range of merchandise a little better.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »
Some kind of top made from light material similar to the soccer or rugby ones is a good idea Ramps. :thumbsup
I don't agree with anything else in your post though.

The quality of the merchandise I've got seems to be the equal of the bigger names. They're all made off shore by cheap labour.The Richmond socks my son got are actually the best I've seen.
I sort of get what you mean about modernising but it's the RFC logo and instantly associated as such. I hope the day never comes where the logo is changed based on it making merchandise more attractive for sale.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »
the tiger logo of the early 80's is different to the one we have now. in the old days it was a black badge with yellow sash and a rampaging tiger   :cheers  on it. now its just a tigers head. What im suggesting is to produce a badge which is similar in shape to say the liverpool badge- have it in black with the yellow sash....on the top half of the black have a standing tiger on the bottom have it say RFC est 1885. On top of the badge have 2 rows of 5 golden stars for a maximum of 10 stars....each representing 1 tiger premiership...South Melbourne uses the stars concept in the soccer. The kids who play for Richmond can then chase there own star...the 11th star. Have to say...its worked well at South and is a good motivator for the players and the supporters.

PS- Just throwing up ideas people. U dont have to agree or disagree- all i want to see is a more professional look to it all.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:10:01 PM »
Here are the logos we've had in recent years:

We only changed the 80's leaping tiger over the sash logo because we "won" the spoon in 87 and with KB and a whole heap of country kids coming in in 88 the Club wanted to symbolize the changing of the guard.

I can't remember where I read it but IIRC the club said our current logo is popular and well recognized. ok this isn't scientific proof lol but there was a thread on the main board of BF and opposition supporters there said our logo is one of if not the best. I wouldn't mind adding Est. 1885 to it as RT suggested though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:13:10 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 06:34:56 AM »
i agree about the merchadise stuff

but the logo must stay

this logo has been used 4 a while now but its the strongest logo we have ever had!
and its a logo that will never ever go out of "fashion" so to speak,

the logo to me shows  class, strength and power

Offline Tiv

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 09:44:20 AM »
...and its a logo that will never ever go out of "fashion" so to speak...

Thats what they said about the 1980's :D

Is it the AFL that updates them or does the club do it?? Reason I'm asking is that it seems that when one clubs emblem is updated they all get updated.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:22:05 AM »
i dont like the round type shape of the logo...i prefer it if it was more streamlined more in a V. Also I like the stars concept. 2 rows of 5 stars each would be good.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »
Definitely need to produce better quality merchandise RT.  I’ve never been a rap for the range and quality produced.  Have to say though, the merchandise this year is of better quality, compared to other years, but still not enough of it is of high quality, in my view.

Also, if you look at the players’ on-field jumper, it’s nowhere near the quality, in terms of cut and style, that the Nike jumper was.  If you compare ours to jumpers of other Clubs, our current one looks shapeless and very amateurish in cut.  Not that I would know or anything, but it just looks like someone whipped them up in a hurry and with not too much attention to style.

Don’t know if anyone has seen the polo shirts the Dockers have worn in the past, but they look a million miles ahead of anything I’ve seen worn by our players.  I’ve only ever seen them worn by Docker players in interviews on FoxFooty and not sure if a similar style is available to their supporters, but they seemed a cut above others out there.

I like the current logo, for the same reasons X said.  Don’t see any need to change it yet.  Would depend on what the alternative was though.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »
Keep the logo as it is - I have no problem with it per se. I reckon it is modern while linking to our past

What I have a problem with is how they present it. Let me explain.

On our Member's cap this year the logo has yellow stitching around it. On the caps that you buy in the merchandise shop (whether they be Concept, or previously Nike) the logo has white stitching around it. The white makes the logo stand out a helluva lot better IMO and should be done that way all the time.

I reckon you need some form of consistency when it comes to merchandising and badging.

Regarding the actual clothing I can say the quality of the polo shirts this year is far greater than last year. The design too is much better than the drab black with a couple of yellow stripes on the arm.

RT you suggest we should go after Puma or Adidas - I cannot see Puma being interested as they already sponsor 4 teams. Adidas seem to be from a marketing perspective only interested in sponsoring one team in the Pies.

The problem with these apparel companies is they pay to sponsor teams but also pay a licensing fee to the AFL for the right to be an apparel sponsor. If an apparel comapny wnat to sponsor an AFL team they have to have a license with the AFL. I think that's why you may find a company like Reebok & Slazenger only sponsor one team (the Dockers/Geelong) and one of the contributing reason the company Fila pulled out of clothing sponsorships
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
Richmond does need to do something about the merchandise, I think its a good opportunity going begging at the moment, I was at the den today... I picked up a couple of Fashion Tee shirts with the 1885 on it, they are quite good, but I wasnt overly impressed with whats on offer. By the way was there some sort of kids day or something there today, parking was shocking and there were plenty of people on the oval.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
Richmond does need to do something about the merchandise, I think its a good opportunity going begging at the moment, I was at the den today... I picked up a couple of Fashion Tee shirts with the 1885 on it, they are quite good, but I wasnt overly impressed with whats on offer. By the way was there some sort of kids day or something there today, parking was shocking and there were plenty of people on the oval.

Ramps, part of the problem is the 2009 Reebok range isnt available yet because of the delay in getting a a new sponsor..... kids want jumpers like the players wear.... they aint ready yet  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
I understand that kids want jumpers, but for 38yo guys like me, fashionable tshirts you can wear out are a better option, the club needs to extend the range to a more fashionable type products. Anyway the sooner they pull down the old social club building and put up the new building the better, and hopefully a bigger better range of clothing to wear.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
Here are the logos we've had in recent years:

We only changed the 80's leaping tiger over the sash logo because we "won" the spoon in 87 and with KB and a whole heap of country kids coming in in 88 the Club wanted to symbolize the changing of the guard.

I can't remember where I read it but IIRC the club said our current logo is popular and well recognized. ok this isn't scientific proof lol but there was a thread on the main board of BF and opposition supporters there said our logo is one of if not the best. I wouldn't mind adding Est. 1885 to it as RT suggested though.

i really like our current logo, NEVER liked the 80s one...our merchandise could improve some...I wonder whether the clubs would make more if they marketed their own brand...bloody expensive the reebock stuff...Can buy quality stuff ISC or something and probably make much greater margins ...Reebock appear not keen on tooo larger a range
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ramps

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »
the old emblem with the tiger pouncing ... that still wins lol. what a great emblem.