Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 297660 times)

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Krakouer-let-out-to-lead-prison-team/7526349/

Krakouer let out to lead prison team

26/May/2009

By Chris Leitch

Wooroloo's Andrew Krakouer tackles Jandakot's Shane Boyd.

Picture: Marie Nirme Wooroloo's Andrew Krakouer tackles Jandakot's Shane Boyd.
Picture: Marie Nirme

JAILED Richmond footballer Andrew Krakouer is let outside the razor wire as part of a Wooroloo prison team that is so good its average winning margin is 151 points - and it is all in the name of rehabilitation.

Krakouer, who played 102 games for the Tigers before being jailed for a minimum 16 months last year for a brutal assault outside a Fremantle nightclub in 2006, is proving to be the star of the team of inmates that is undefeated in the suburban Mercantile Football League.

The Wooroloo Bombers are so good, in fact, they are yet to score less than 151 points in a single game.

Prison recreation officer Dave Brown said there were several players who would “walk into WAFL football, they are that good”.

The Bombers is one of several prison sporting teams allowed out on weekends to compete in local competitions.

Inmates must satisfy stringent security checks and display exemplary behaviour before they can be considered to play football, basketball or soccer outside the prison gates.

Mr Brown said community sports competitions were playing a key role in rehabilitating criminals at the minimum-security prison.

Wooroloo holds about 270 inmates and about 40 players are registered with the football team.

Mr Brown said players knew they were under more scrutiny than anyone.

“Any prisoner at Wooroloo is eligible to play in the football side, but it comes down to their commitment and discipline,” Mr Brown said.

“If someone misbehaves in their workplace or in the community, they don’t get the opportunity to go out.”

All sports teams operated under a charter that spells out the conditions under which they are released to play.

Security guards supervise matches and no inmate had escaped while playing sport.

The prison team has its own form of discipline and a tribunal.

Prisoners take their football seriously, if their training regime and recent results are any indication.

“They must train three nights a week, and when I say train, they probably train harder than any community side that I’ve ever seen,” Mr Brown said.

“If they can show that same discipline and commitment when they get out, they will go a long way in the community.”

Tigermonk

« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:09 AM »
Anyone know what Matthew Rogers is doing this year  ???

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tiger-tivendale-is-ready-to-roc-on/2009/06/20/1244918237111.html

Tiger Tivendale is ready to ROC on

Adam McNicol | June 21, 2009

WHILE he was dashing along the wing for Richmond, Greg Tivendale always believed he would eventually return to the club of his youth. But even last season, when he often found himself running around with Coburg in the VFL, he was confident such a move was still some time away.

"I would like to think I could've played for another year, maybe two," Tivendale admitted last weekend. Unfortunately for the veteran of 188 AFL games, this was not how then-coach Terry Wallace saw it.

"We were on reasonable terms," Tivendale said. "I'd go in each week to see 'Plough' if I had a good game for Coburg and he'd tell me why I wasn't going to be playing. We spoke the whole way through and he took me aside with a couple of weeks to go and said I would be delisted.

"I got a farewell game at the end, which was good. You move on. I'm not bitter or anything. Looking at how they're travelling now, it probably wasn't such a bad time to get out."

Tivendale contemplated spending a year or two at a VFL club, before dismissing that option. "I just thought it's a comp with a lot of young guys on the way up, aspiring to play league footy. I was going the other way," he said.

The call of home was also strong. The Tivendale family has a long connection with the Rythdale-Officer-Cardinia Football Club, better known as ROC. Greg's parents remain heavily involved, while his sister, Amy, plays netball and his brother, Ben, captains the senior footy team. So, at the age of 29, Tivendale left behind the MCG and Punt Road Oval to continue his career at the more rustic surrounds of the Officer Recreation Reserve.

"I always wanted to come back here at some stage," he said. "It's become a big family day for us, so it's all good."

Tivendale is ROC's greatest export. He made his debut at Richmond during Jeff Gieschen's ill-fated reign, and in his early days often thrilled crowds with his pace and trademark long, running goals. He tasted finals action under Danny Frawley, but some years later, as the Tigers' expected revival under Wallace failed to materialise, many fans made him a scapegoat for the team's horrendous skill level.

"When you're playing a sport like AFL there's plenty of people out there who are going to have their opinions on everything about footy," Tivendale reflected. "Some people like the way you go about it and others don't. It's water off a duck's back really. That's just how it is."

Yet, he has mostly good memories of his time at Richmond.
"I'm pretty satisfied, especially when you consider I missed out in the draft and had to come through the rookie list. To survive for 11 years and play 180-odd games is something to look back on and be reasonably proud of I think."

Tivendale, who turned 30 in April, admits to being shocked that the Tigers have imploded again.

"I honestly thought they'd play finals and maybe push top four. There's plenty of talent on the list. I think that Carlton debacle really took the wind out of their sails."

But local footy is where Tivendale's focus now lies. While he was away, ROC went through its own share of upheaval. The Kangaroos won a West Gippsland league premiership in 2002, before deciding to change competitions in 2005.

Adjusting to life in the Casey-Cardinia league, which includes ROC's long-time rivals Beaconsfield and Pakenham, along with suburban powerhouses such as Narre Warren and Berwick, has been no easy feat. Last year the Roos won only three games.

"It's much more professional in this league and that's where ROC has struggled a bit," said Ben Tivendale. "One of the hardest changes is that we still have a bush footy club culture, but we've got to start thinking more like the metro clubs now. We haven't got a great ground or pavilion but it's coming. We'll have much better facilities in the next couple of years."

However, the mood of the club lifted immeasurably when Greg announced he was coming home late last year. "There was genuine excitement," said senior coach Kris Fletcher, who had only just joined the Roos, after a distinguished career at Beaconsfield. "The whole place was buzzing."

By round one, the supporters were itching to see their local hero in action, and they turned out in record numbers for ROC's opening match of the season against Hampton Park. A five-goal win meant the social rooms were jumping after the game.

Since then, the Kangaroos have come back to earth thanks to a couple of thumpings from top sides Doveton and Pakenham, although their 12-goal final-quarter onslaught against Keysborough three weeks ago showed they were not done.

"We have a lot of young kids playing at the moment," said Ben Tivendale. "So we know what the bigger picture is. We're on the right track."

Like the team, Tivendale's form has been up and down, as he adjusts to the slower pace of grass-roots footy.

After slipping under the radar during much of his AFL career, he has to deal with taggers on a weekly basis. Eight days ago against Cranbourne he was scragged every time he went near the ball, but received little aid from the umpires, much to the dismay of the many ROC followers watching.

Occasionally he lashed out in frustration and a few scuffles ensued, during which he was always backed up by Ben. "Just for the two of us, we're really enjoying playing alongside each other," Greg said. "We look out for each other."

Cranbourne kicked away in the last quarter to win easily, but Tivendale finished with two goals and was named ROC's best player.

A series of crucial matches over the next month will determine if he can lead ROC on a late charge towards the finals. Even if that doesn't happen, the former Tiger is making plenty of friends. "He's good but he's not arrogant at all," said Fletcher. "If you didn't follow his career you wouldn't know he'd played nearly 200 AFL games. He's so easy-going and he's happy to talk to anyone, whether it's the best player in the side or the bloke missing out in the twos. He's just a genuinely nice bloke really."

ajmcnicol@hotmail.com

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2009, 04:26:55 AM »
ON Saturday, Peninsula Old Boys made what is the biggest trek required in the Ammos this season when they played Old Westbourne..... In the seniors match, the Peninsula Pirates scored a strong victory to maintain their spot on top, with the president's sons Jim and Will Coghlan among the best players. John Rombotis, the 32-year-old former Fitzroy, Port Adelaide and Richmond player, kicked three goals and was also among the Pirates' best.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/following-the-bouncing-football/2009/06/30/1246127530126.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2009, 05:48:48 AM »
From the Herald-Sun

Jewell coup

THE Jewells, Tiger premiership coach Tony, model wife Margaret and Bushranger cricket star Nick, combined as a team to take the $1000 cash raffle prize at the Sorrento Sharks celebrity luncheon. With the Ashes at stake in England, Nick was guest speaker, Margie became the barrel girl and Tiger legend Tony, back from cruising the canals of France, watched her pick his number out of the hat. The win was as timely as being at Punt Rd for Richmond's last flag.

« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

I hear Brendan Gale might have a new job.  :lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »

oh  ::) your 2 hrs late did your just get out of bed  ;D

« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »

oh  ::) your 2 hrs late did your just get out of bed  ;D

An attempt at levity, sorry.

:help

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »
FORMER Collingwood, Richmond and Western Bulldogs utility Aaron James, who now takes up most of the goal square with North Bendigo, last month became the first player in Victorian local footy to kick the ton.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/livingston-gets-a-new-life/2009/08/11/1249756306519.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Tigermonk

« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »
Good on Arron James his kicked alot of goals since leaving the AFL

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

works for a golfing supplier in Melbourne, top fella
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Tigermonk

« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »

works for a golfing supplier in Melbourne, top fella

Thanks Y&B

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2009, 03:37:51 AM »
Allan Murray has stepped into the Balwyn goal square since former Richmond and Bulldogs player Patrick Bowden went down with a badly broken leg mid-season.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/dogged-jimmy-cuts-an-inspirational-figure/2009/08/18/1250362074065.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

:(

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
Chris Hyde was on SEN this arvo. He studied park management at Deakin while he was still playing with us and now is game manager in NSW (as well as playing for the Albury Tigers).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2009, 03:11:52 AM »
Ricky McLean's horse Broadway's Best is running this weekend in harness racing's Australasian Breeders Crown 3YO Fillies Final at Tabcorp Park, Melton.

BROADWAYS' BEST PRICE IN AGES
20 August 2009

Entering the Tabcorp Australasian Breeders Crown semi finals, bookies would have been knocked off their stands had they offered black and white figures about Broadways Best to win the 3YO Fillies Final.

She'd already won Victoria's two richest races for her age group - the Victoria Oaks and Vicbred Super Series Final - and had her task made easier when the likes of Lauraella, For Dear Life and Sheer Royalty didn't make it to the heats.
But after being run down by Make Mine Cullen in her semi and coming up with a back-row draw for the $170,000 Group 1 final, punters can get $2.60 about the daughter of Village Jasper who is friendless with TAB Sportsbet.
Gisborne trainer Shannon McLean conceded things haven't gone to plan the last couple of weeks, but hasn't given up on his stable star.

Full article here:
http://www.breederscrown.com.au/latest-news.cfm?article_id=12345