Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 297670 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »
Barking Dog owner Greg Dodds recently teamed up with Richmond Tigers star, turned designer Nick Daffy to revamp his Geelong West pub.

''It's an investment that has to be made to keep it in vogue,'' Mr Dodds said.

''Nick has brought a touch of the Docklands and an inner-city feel to the place.

''We cater for people who don't want to go into the city where there is a lack of taxis and the inability to get home.

''I don't mind spending money on a place. Build it and they will come.''

TIGER LANDS: Barking Dog owner Greg Dodds teamed up with former Richmond player Nick Daffy to redesign the Pakington St favourite. Photo: REG RYAN

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/09/02/99821_geelong_news.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2009, 04:45:51 AM »
Redlands QAFL coach and former Collingwood and Richmond player Matthew Francis has applied for an Brisbane assistant coaching role under Voss.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/michael-voss-lures-mcrae-back-to-brisbane/story-e6frf9jf-1225773080498

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2009, 04:01:13 AM »
Chris Hyde came equal second in the O&M league's B&F count. His team Albury is playing in the GF on Sunday.

In the Ovens and Murray league's Morris Medal count on Monday, former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne midfielder Michael Stevens, the 28-year-old brother of former Roos champ Anthony, scored three votes in the final game to steal victory by two votes. Corowa-Rutherglen's Sam Carpenter, the one-armed player originally from Frankston, Albury's Chris Hyde, the former Richmond player, and Wangaratta's Matt Kelly were equal second. Yarrawonga and Albury are expected to attract upwards of 15,000 to the O&M grand final at Lavington on Sunday.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/lions-get-to-sing-song-75-times/2009/09/15/1252780313771.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Hyde's Tigers win the flag (Border Mail)
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
Hyde seeks and finds everything he wanted
BRETT KOHLHAGEN
21/09/2009 10:53:00 AM

CHRIS Hyde had two reasons for signing with Albury at the start of the season.

Firstly, he craved the opportunity to play under coach Paul Spargo after spending time with him at Richmond and, secondly, he believed the Tigers were a genuine shot at winning the Ovens and Murray premiership.

The second part of the deal was sealed at Lavington Panthers Oval yesterday when the unbeaten Tigers trounced Yarrawonga by 77 points to stamp themselves as one of the great O and M teams.

Hyde received the unexpected bonus of picking up the Did Simpson medal along the way.

“I have played at the top level, but it was fairly lean pickings,” Hyde said.

“I never really dreamt of a premiership in my first year back in the country and this is

fantastic.

“I’m over the moon.

“I’m pretty short of words actually.

“It’s been fantastic right through from the club to the boys and to go through undefeated is something I would never have dreamt of.

“To come away with a premiership medallion is an unbelievable feeling.

“The medal is great, but the premiership was what we really wanted.”

Hyde, who was delisted by Richmond at the end of last season and soon became swamped by offers from O and M and interstate clubs, capped off a stellar season with 22 touches including nine in the second term as Albury swamped its opponents with a brilliant display of running football.

While many at the ground were shocked that teammate Joel Mackie was overlooked for the Did Simpson medal, the silky left-footer was outstanding despite being tagged by Dean Bigger.

Hyde said Albury’s wealth of options was a decisive factor in the victory with Shaun Daly, Mackie, Jayden Kotzur, Ben Fixter, Jason Sheather, Andrew Carey and Charles Gaylard being rotated heavily through the centre square.

Hyde said he was likely to return next season despite working at Tumut as a ranger.

“There are a lot of quality players and quality blokes at this club and I’m rapt to be a part of it,” he said.

“I think people actually think Tumut is a bit further away than it really is.

“It’s only two hours.

“Blokes who travel from Melbourne travel a lot further and the highway has been opened up which helps.

“I’ve loved every minute of it.

“This caps it off.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/hyde-seeks-and-finds-everything-he-wanted/1628756.aspx

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
Brian Leys has just been appointed CEO of WAFL club Perth Demons, that has one A. Jarman esq as senior coach.

Tigermonk

« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
Good soldier is Leys  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Scott Turner - From Richmond to Royalty (Ararat Advertiser)
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
From Richmond to Royalty
SARAH SCULLY
9/10/2009

ARARAT - Ararat's favourite sporting son Scott Turner will trade football boots for a crown this month when he takes on the role of King of the Ararat Advertiser Golden Gateway Festival.

Born and bred in Ararat, the former Richmond footballer has become an active member of the community since moving home with his young family three years ago.

Turner is best known locally as the coach of the Ararat Football Club, and occasionally still pulls on the boots himself.

A supporter of junior football, Turner is actively involved in son Paddy's football team, Warriors, and co-ordinated Ararat's Auskick program for two years.

Turner has plenty of experience as a role model to young people, both in a sporting capacity and in his role with Best Community Development.

A keen sportsman, Turner is also a member of the Chalambar Golf Club, enjoys playing basketball with the Ararat Association and part-owns a horse with local trainer Michael Bellman.

Although this is Turner's first year of being involved in the festival, he has some idea of what to expect.

''When I first lived in Ararat I was brought up with the children's day on the Friday and billy cart races,'' he said.

''It was always a lot of fun and really good for the children.''

Turner was surprised to receive the call from the Mayor, Cr Gwenda Allgood, offering him the opportunity to be this year's Golden Gateway Festival King.

''Gwenda rang me up and asked me if I'd like to be King, and I just couldn't say no.

''I've seen plenty of Golden Gateway festivals over the years and I'm just really looking forward to meeting people that I haven't seen for a long time and also all the regular faces.''

Last year's King Brian Collins will hand over the crown to Turner during next Friday's Festival launch at the Ararat Performing Arts Centre.

Turner's first duty as King will be to declare the release of balloons to mark the opening of the festival. The event is open to the entire community and school and kindergarten children will be on hand to release the balloons.

The 2009 Festival Queen will be announced later that evening at the Coronation Ball.

''It's going to be a couple of good weeks,'' Turner said.

''I'm sure it will be a lot of fun just helping around the town and seeing everyone enjoy themselves.''

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/from-richmond-to-royalty/1645163.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
Steve McKee has joined Yarrawonga who is coach by Craig Ednie...

Steve McKee to play for Yarrawonga
MATT CRAM
20/10/2009

YARRAWONGA has finally found the ruckman it has craved, signing former AFL star and Myrtleford bigman Steve McKee for 2010.

McKee, 31, was drafted to Richmond from Myrtleford with pick No.55 in the 1996 national draft and played 84 games for the Tigers and Collingwood between 1998 and 2004, including the Magpies’ 2002 grand final loss to the Brisbane Lions.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/steve-mckee-to-play-for-yarrawonga/1653976.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Ben Hollands has re-signed as assistant coach with South Adelaide for two more years

http://www.safc.com.au/documents/mr_2010_signings.pdf

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Brian Leys has just been appointed CEO of WAFL club Perth Demons, that has one A. Jarman esq as senior coach.
Brian Leys, now that brings back a memory.
Princess Park V Fitzroy, first time Hoggy fronted up against the Tiges from memory. Richmond has possession between half forward and the wing. Forward structure working ok and there is nice space left for a forward to lead into around CHF. Brian Leys ambles down and stands right in the hole, dragging his man with him. I thought this was pretty stupid and said as much.

A lady in front of me turns around and tells me he is trying his best. Leys was a tryer, and I admitted as much, but stuck by that being a stupid piece of football and tried to explain why. She then proceeded to tell me that he was only following the coaches instructions. As I'm trying to tell her that Northey is not so stupid to give such instructions the siren sounds the end of the quarter and off she storms.

The lady sitting beside her turns around and says, "dont worry about it, thats Brian Leys Mother".

He did nothing else wrong in my eyes either for the rest of the game  ::)

Gee, I'd forgotten all about that untill I read his name here. I did wonder if she ever said anything to him about it..
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Jackstar is back

Re: Scott Turner - From Richmond to Royalty (Ararat Advertiser)
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
From Richmond to Royalty
SARAH SCULLY
9/10/2009

ARARAT - Ararat's favourite sporting son Scott Turner will trade football boots for a crown this month when he takes on the role of King of the Ararat Advertiser Golden Gateway Festival.

Born and bred in Ararat, the former Richmond footballer has become an active member of the community since moving home with his young family three years ago.

Turner is best known locally as the coach of the Ararat Football Club, and occasionally still pulls on the boots himself.

A supporter of junior football, Turner is actively involved in son Paddy's football team, Warriors, and co-ordinated Ararat's Auskick program for two years.

Turner has plenty of experience as a role model to young people, both in a sporting capacity and in his role with Best Community Development.

A keen sportsman, Turner is also a member of the Chalambar Golf Club, enjoys playing basketball with the Ararat Association and part-owns a horse with local trainer Michael Bellman.

Although this is Turner's first year of being involved in the festival, he has some idea of what to expect.

''When I first lived in Ararat I was brought up with the children's day on the Friday and billy cart races,'' he said.

''It was always a lot of fun and really good for the children.''

Turner was surprised to receive the call from the Mayor, Cr Gwenda Allgood, offering him the opportunity to be this year's Golden Gateway Festival King.

''Gwenda rang me up and asked me if I'd like to be King, and I just couldn't say no.

''I've seen plenty of Golden Gateway festivals over the years and I'm just really looking forward to meeting people that I haven't seen for a long time and also all the regular faces.''

Last year's King Brian Collins will hand over the crown to Turner during next Friday's Festival launch at the Ararat Performing Arts Centre.

Turner's first duty as King will be to declare the release of balloons to mark the opening of the festival. The event is open to the entire community and school and kindergarten children will be on hand to release the balloons.

The 2009 Festival Queen will be announced later that evening at the Coronation Ball.

''It's going to be a couple of good weeks,'' Turner said.

''I'm sure it will be a lot of fun just helping around the town and seeing everyone enjoy themselves.''

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/from-richmond-to-royalty/1645163.aspx

My mail is that Scott was jogging his pacer last week in trackwork, when the horse reared up, dumping Scotty on the ground with the horse running through a few fences and finding its way back to the stables of Michael Bellman,. Scotty was abit bruised but ego abit battered, LOL

Jackstar is back

« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »
Brian Leys, now that brings back a memory.
Princess Park V Fitzroy, first time Hoggy fronted up against the Tiges from memory. Richmond has possession between half forward and the wing. Forward structure working ok and there is nice space left for a forward to lead into around CHF. Brian Leys ambles down and stands right in the hole, dragging his man with him. I thought this was pretty stupid and said as much.

A lady in front of me turns around and tells me he is trying his best. Leys was a tryer, and I admitted as much, but stuck by that being a stupid piece of football and tried to explain why. She then proceeded to tell me that he was only following the coaches instructions. As I'm trying to tell her that Northey is not so stupid to give such instructions the siren sounds the end of the quarter and off she storms.

The lady sitting beside her turns around and says, "dont worry about it, thats Brian Leys Mother".

He did nothing else wrong in my eyes either for the rest of the game  ::)

Gee, I'd forgotten all about that untill I read his name here. I did wonder if she ever said anything to him about it..

I actually had a run in with the same lady, lets dont mention his sister either :shh :banghead

Tigermonk

« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »
Great friend Leys, l played many of games against him & the many beers.
great clubman & loyal to where he came from
every mother sticks up for thier child at footy  :lol my wife she lets the fists fly, you hate to be with her at the footy sometimes seriously ;D
& she refused to shake hands with Leys  ;D cause he played for the Tigers & that was after a Grand Final  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2009, 05:18:55 AM »
Justin Plapp is the frontrunner to coach the Williamstown 2nds

http://www.vflfooty.com/?q=node/5705&page=6#comment-31505

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »
Scott Homewood is the new senior coach of the Mitcham Tigers in the EFL

http://whitehorse-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/mitcham-signs-talent/

Former Prez Clinton Casey has sold his Hawthorn mansion 'Avon Court', which has 12 toilets  :o, six kitchens, two swimming pools, a ballroom and separate staff and guest quarters.

http://www.watoday.com.au/executive-style/luxury/footy-rivals-join-forces-to-sell-mansion-20091104-hxz5.html