Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 297755 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
Wouldn't be hard to overtake because they didn't have a bar last season.  ;)

They played at Kilsyth while their ground was being redeveloped and the demolished rooms/stand were being built
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ramps

« Reply #301 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »

In just four home matches this year they have surpassed last season's entire bar takings.

Nice of Connors to go and support Simmo

Vintage Comedy and some very nice work from jake right there.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2010, 04:01:36 AM »
Kane still able
The Age
July 6, 2010

COMEBACKS are often fraught, as former Richmond skipper and dual premiership player Kane Johnson discovered after turning out for for Montrose Football Club.

Johnson played his first match for Montrose on the weekend, joining former Tigers ruckman and flatmate Troy Simmonds at the club.

''Kane played midfield for most of the day and in the dying minutes of the game slid across the wet surface and into a Carpet Court fence sign,'' a witness told Sporting Life. ''He sliced his leg open to the bone and ended up in hospital requiring 11 stitches.''

Johnson has shown he is made from pretty stern stuff - he plans to be back on the field in two weeks.

The day was much better for Simmonds, who booted six goals in a best-on-ground performance.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/watson-joins-long-list-of-footy-fashion-faux-pas-20100705-zxkw.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
Local article about Troy Simmonds and Kane Johnson at Montrose FC in Div.2 of the EFL

---------------------------------------

MONTROSE coach Mark Garthwaite is looking at the long-term benefits of high-profile recruits Troy Simmonds and Kane Johnson signing-on at the club.

Although the star pair’s signings have enhanced the Demons’ EFL Division 2 finals prospects this season, Garthwaite said he’d rather the club’s youngsters learn as much as they can from the former-AFL players.

“As a coach you want to develop the young players at the football club,” Garthwaite said.

“I think with Kane and Troy, with where they’ve played and the knowledge they’ve got through their careers, they can help fast-track our younger players and learn from these guys that have played at a higher level. I’ve said to my players to ask these guys (Kane and Troy) for as much information as possible because they’re more than willing to help.”

http://lilydale-yarra-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/tigers-find-a-new-lair/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
A couple of much-maligned ex-Tigers had big games in the WAFL over the weekend.....

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (East Perth)

Played his best game of the season since returning to WA to play with East Perth after four years with Richmond. The Eagles rookie-listed player booted six goals from 23 possessions and nine marks  as East Perth hammered Perth by 117 points at EFTel Oval.

Andrew Krakouer (Swan Districts)

Outstanding game from the Sandover Medal favourite as he collected 27 disposals, took seven marks, laid six tackles and kicked four goals for Swan Districts in the draw with the ladder-leading Claremont.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/wa-football/wafl-round-18-player-watch-20100726-10s1o.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »
FORMER Richmond forward Andrew Krakouer has set his sights on a remarkable return to the AFL in 2011, with a standout WAFL season for Swan Districts reigniting his ambition to play at the top level.

Krakouer, who was released from prison last November after serving more than a year behind bars for serious assault, is widely tipped to win this year's Sandover Medal as the WAFL's fairest and best player.

The 27-year-old has averaged more than 25 possessions in his 18 games this season, kicking 32 goals as one of the state competition's most damaging players.

Now, with opportunities almost certain to present at this year's NAB AFL Draft, Krakouer is aiming to add to the 102 AFL games he played with the Tigers between 2001 and 2007.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100628/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2010, 02:12:41 AM »
There were no such excuses on Saturday. Montmorency simply outplayed the Tigers, kicking six unanswered goals in the opening quarter and maintaining its lead from there. Pat Fitzgerald and Dean Limbach, the former Essendon and Richmond player, kicked seven and six goals respectively. The final margin was 19 points.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/history-counts-for-nil-as-powerhouse-clubs-beaten-in-final-round-20100824-13qen.html

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »
I believe Cleve Hughes won the goal kicking for the QAFL this year
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
You reckon Clever could of done with a season under Hardwicks guidance?  Hardwick mentioned there was one or two that got the arse he would of liked to of held onto and perhaps some that were lucky to stay in his eyes.  I wondered if Cleve was one of em.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
I reakon any young footballer would benefit from a year under hardwick. I never saw enough of Hughes to call whether Hardwick would have made a footballer out him or not.

Yeah I'd love to know who that was.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
Andy Krakouer racked up 51 possessions against Peel on the weekend.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
You reckon Clever could of done with a season under Hardwicks guidance?  Hardwick mentioned there was one or two that got the behind he would of liked to of held onto and perhaps some that were lucky to stay in his eyes.  I wondered if Cleve was one of em.

nope.

couldnot pick the ball off the ground below his knees

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
Ezra Poyas who now plays for St Kilda City in the Southern Football League will be playing in the SFL Division 1 Grand Final next weekend.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »
Hyde a highlight in Tigers' gutsy victory
Chris Mitchell
21 Sep, 2010 09:51 PM

ALBURY midfielder Chris Hyde has written a new chapter in his stunning Tigers career, starring in the grand final win against Yarrawonga at Lavington Oval.

Hyde, who played 93 AFL games for Richmond, has enjoyed unprecedented success since arriving at the Tigers last season, winning the Did Simpson Medal as best-on-ground in last year's winning grand final, and going close yesterday.

Originally from Barooga, Hyde now has his eyes set on a third consecutive flag with Albury.

"I tell you what, it doesn't get much better than this," he said.

"The twos got up, the B-graders got up, makes for the best night ever. If you bottled this you'd be a millionaire."

Despite just nine kicks, six handballs and a goal, Hyde's composure and attack at the contest were instrumental in the win.

The 28-year-old paid tribute to the club's professionalism, and coach Paul Spargo for a demanding preseason.

"The professionalism and how hard these boys train, it's taken me by surprise," Hyde said.

"The work these guys put in, and it's driven by Spargs because he's a fitness man and he loves that sort of stuff, is unbelievable.

"We train hard, we play hard and we enjoy the good times."

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/hyde-a-highlight-in-tigers-gutsy-victory/1948020.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »
WARATAHS have made the first big signing of the 2010-11 NTFL season with former Richmond, Carlton, Geelong and Essendon midfielder Justin Murphy joining the club.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/10/01/183301_ntsport.html

NTFL club Wanderers has landed some prized recruits on the eve of the 2010-11 premiership season.

Nightcliff trio Damien Roe and the Motlop cousins, Thomas and Aaron, are back in the Eagles' nest on season permits.

And quicksilver forward Relton Roberts is back after a brief stint at AFL club Richmond.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/10/01/183291_ntsport.html