Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 299611 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
Pettifer got married last night.

Kayne Pettifer twitter:- "Had the greatest night of his life. Married his sweet heart and celebrated with great friends and family #lovinglife"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #406 on: March 10, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
Hyde and seek
By Adam McNicol
afl.com.au
Sat 10 Mar, 2012

Former Tiger Chris Hyde in action for the Albury Tigers - photo by Matthew Smithwick, The Border Mail

IN THE seven seasons that Chris Hyde spent on Richmond's list, the club did not qualify for the finals.

A couple of ninth-placed finishes, in 2006 and 2008, were the best results that the Tigers managed during Hyde's time at Punt Road.

More often than not they were far closer to the bottom of the ladder, taking home the wooden spoon in his third season and again in his sixth.

Delisted by Richmond at the end of the '08 campaign, Hyde still plays for a team known as the Tigers.

But his latest club is far different to the success-starved AFL outfit he left behind.

The Albury Tigers are a powerhouse in the Ovens and Murray Football League, a competition that includes clubs based in north-east Victoria and southern New South Wales.

And since Hyde joined them for the 2009 season, the Tigers have won the premiership each year.

"It's been pretty good up here, there's no doubt about that," said the 29-year-old, who was a key contributor in the midfield in all three Grand Finals, each of which was against Yarrawonga.

"We've lost only three games in three years, and in 2009 we went through undefeated."

Hyde grew up 140kms further down the Murray River at Barooga. He began playing football for the local club, then graduated to the Murray Bushrangers in his mid-teens.

His pace and evasive skills (Matthew Richardson later called him the best baulker he'd ever played with) caught the eye of Richmond, which selected him with pick 68 in the 2001 NAB AFL Draft.

In 2004 and 2006 he played in all of the Tigers' 22 matches, but he was in and out of the team in his other five seasons.

Upon leaving Richmond, Hyde moved to Tumut in the New South Wales high country to take up a job as a game manager for Game Council of NSW.

"I was like a fishing inspector, but I worked with the hunters," Hyde explained.

"The sort of game that people hunt up in the mountains are deer, rabbits and foxes. We would check that they had a NSW game licence.

"We would also do inspections of forests and provide advice to other organisations about the suitability of certain forests for hunting.

"I really like the outdoors. I like my fishing and hunting. My grandparents lived on a farm and I think that's where I picked those things up from."

Tumut is 200kms from Albury, but Hyde decided to play football for the Tigers after getting in contact with their coach Paul Spargo.

Spargo, who played 81 games for North Melbourne during the 1980s and early '90s, spent a brief period as an assistant coach at Richmond while Hyde was there.

These days Hyde lives in Albury and works as a return-to-work co-ordinator for the Joss Group, a construction and distribution company that has offices throughout New South Wales.

On the footy field, he has been a very consistent performer no matter where he's been living, twice finishing runner-up in the OMFL best and fairest, the Morris Medal.

These days, renowned as a midfielder with an ability to hit the scoreboard, he kicked 46 goals in 20 games last year.

"I try and average about three goals per game, which I think is about right for a midfielder/half-forward," Hyde said.

"It didn't end up being that high last year, but I definitely enjoy kicking a goal."

The Albury football community will be out in force on Saturday afternoon when the AFL comes to town.

Although the clash between Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast might seem an odd one to be held at the Lavington Sports Ground on Albury's northern fringe, the region is part of the Giants' recruiting zone.

As happened last year, when GWS played North Melbourne before a crowd of around 6,000 in Lavington, a number of kids from southern New South Wales are likely to be running around.

Anthony Miles (North Albury), Sam Schultz (Culcairn) and Tim Segrave (Corowa-Rutherglen) are among the local boys on the Giants' list.

Once the AFL circus has moved out of town, the OMFL will again become the focus of local footy fans.

"They love their footy up here," Hyde said. "And the local footy is definitely of a very good standard.

"The professionalism on and off the field is pretty high these days. We train three nights a week and I don't see many other clubs doing much different."

Many people with their ear to the ground are tipping Yarrawonga to end their run of Grand Final losses, thanks to the addition of star recruit Brendan Fevola.

But the Tigers are confident they have the talent and desire to make it four on the trot.

"We've lost two from our Grand Final side," Hyde said. "One guy is travelling overseas and another has gone to the Northern Territory to be a cowboy.

"But we've gained a few guys, so we'll be in a good position again."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130410/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
VIDEO: Where are they now? We catch up with Andrew Kellaway ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/441605/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #408 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
Thursfield Takes Leongatha Reins

Even though Will Thursfield was a required player for Richmond's 2012 season, a growing landscaping business and the lure of life out of the goldfish bowl that is AFL football at a big Melbourne club had the 6 foot 4 25 year old wanting to retire.

The club is thrilled to have Will on board for the 2012 season. Joining him as assistant will be former tiger team mate Tas Clingan. Tas came off Richmond's rookie list three years ago and has spent the last two seasons playing with Wangaratta Rovers in the Ovens and Murray Football league. That taste of country football experience will be invaluable as the pair plots for success for the upcoming season.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-6208-81028-0-0&sID=150509&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=17355197

Dave Gourdis is also playing for Leongatha.

I popped down on Saturday with the young fella and watched 15 minutes of the game. Saw Will in the number 12 guernsey but didn't notice Gourdis or Clingan.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #409 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
Relton Roberts has joined Troy Taylor at Walla in the Hume Football League...

The Welcome Wanderer
Brett Kohlhagen
The Border Mail
01 May, 2012

WALLA has signed its second former AFL player in five weeks with Northern Territory excitement machine Relton Roberts joining the Hume league club.

Roberts, who played two matches for Richmond in 2010, arrived on the Border on Sunday and will play alongside fellow big-name recruit Troy Taylor against CDHBU at Coreen on Saturday.

Roberts, 26, played with Taylor at Wanderers in Darwin several years ago and is looking forward to reacquainting himself with his former teammate.

“My uncle (Martin White senior) is an assistant-coach at Walla and got me down here,” he said.

“I don’t know much about the football, but I’ll soon see.

“It will be good playing with Troy again.”

Roberts played for Northern Territory club Southern Districts this season and has previously spent time with Euroa, Arnhem Crows, Wanderers and NT Thunder.

He was picked up by Richmond in the third round of the 2010 rookie draft and made his debut in round 1 against Carlton before homesickness and disciplinary problems abruptly ended his AFL career.

White said he believed Roberts and Taylor had plenty to offer Walla as it tried climb back up the ladder.

“The younger local guys will learn a lot about football from Relton and Troy,” he said.

“Relton is a very skilful player who will play in the midfield.”

Walla has started the season impressively, after failing to win a match last year.

It has wins against Rand-Walbundrie and Murray Magpies in the first three rounds.

Taylor has been one of the major reasons for the Hoppers’ improved form with the enigmatic forward kicking four and 10 goals in their two wins.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/the-welcome-wanderer/2540237.aspx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #410 on: May 02, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
 :lol poor old relton in the midfield? i couldnt see him moving out of the centre square, and he'll occupy a fair percentage of it too.

big boy now is relton
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #411 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »
He gets paid in burgers

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: May 02, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
very well paid too

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: May 06, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
My team played against Walla yesterday. Roberts was good, easily a class above. I think he kicked six goals and he passed alot off. He came out of the square and has obviously been in a good paddock. Troy Taylor was quieter but he he is the most impressive of the two. Taylor has been kicking a few goals up here and still has a great set of hands. The walla boys say that they have fitted in well.
On a bad note, Taylor has brought a mate or two down from darwin to play. One of them is a loose pizzle. he ran into the crowd and swung a couple of cut lunches at a spectator who had had a crack at him about his rats tail. He then chased another supporter into the social rooms where kids were playing and threw a couple in there. He is just out of jail apparently. Taylor brought him down to help pull his head in but it doesnt seem to be working.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: May 06, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
geez talk about the blind leading the blind.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
geez talk about the blind leading the blind.
Yes, but from all reports he has pulled his head in a little.
I reckon they' ll leave when the first frost arrives.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #416 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
Kent Kingsley has joined Kyneton in the Bendigo Football League along with former Roo Adam Simpson.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/kynetons-football-coup/2547448.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
Nathan Brown is likely to run out with Caulfield Grammarians this Saturday at Neerim Rd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/brown-links-with-grammarians/story-fn53khnc-1226354755820

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Was reading a week old Coburg Leader in a waiting room today. I noticed that Tom Hislop kicked a couple of goals for Aberfeldie what would've been a week and a half ago, 2 other Hislops were amongst the goals too, obviously playing with family.

not necessarily a footballer but certainly an OER regular
Whats happened to fish finger?  miss his wit and astute comments

That post was a tasty little nugget, who would've thought?
I miss the cucumber chewing old bugger as well.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #419 on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
Was reading a week old Coburg Leader in a waiting room today. I noticed that Tom Hislop kicked a couple of goals for Aberfeldie what would've been a week and a half ago, 2 other Hislops were amongst the goals too, obviously playing with family.

not necessarily a footballer but certainly an OER regular
Whats happened to fish finger?  miss his wit and astute comments

That post was a tasty little nugget, who would've thought?
I miss the cucumber chewing old bugger as well.

Yeah Tom's brothers are over there. One of them was playing state 18s for Tassie last year.

Fish Finger is a mod on another site.