Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 299677 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #675 on: December 25, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »

Former Richmond big man Ben Griffiths has officially signed a playing contract with the University of Southern California as a punter.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/former-tiger-ben-griffiths-signs-with-american-college-football-team-20181224-p50o3t.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #676 on: February 12, 2019, 03:23:28 AM »

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #677 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »
Geez he's a size of a man.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #678 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:56 AM »
Heslin is a busy man. As well as [Gaelic] football he has a job with MSD Animal Health, a PhD to complete and a farm at home to help out on.

In 2011, Heslin dipped his toe into the world of professional sport when he joined the Richmond Tigers in Australia, but he quickly realised a life in the AFL wasn't for him. "There is very little room to manoeuvre in a professional set-up because that is your job, but it is an enjoyable one.

"The commitment levels here in football aren't far off now. We are doing all the same things in terms of training, strength and conditioning, preparation, video analysis, nutrition.

"It's all very similar, the one big difference is the money and the rest.

https://www.independent.ie/au/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/marie-crowe-heslin-still-driven-on-by-the-dream-of-provincial-glory-37944640.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #679 on: April 17, 2019, 03:45:15 AM »
Over in the SANFL, former Richmond player Liam McBean booted 9 goals on Friday night for Glenelg in their big win over Adelaide.

Source: Foxsports

Refreshed McBean means goals for Bays

Warren Partland,
The Advertiser
April 9, 2019

Talented Glenelg forward Liam McBean admits he had lost sight of why he played the game.

As a kid, he said football was all about enjoyment and playing with mates.

The more serious his career became, especially when it was a full-time job with Richmond for four seasons, there were times he’d forget the real reason for being involved.

“Coming out of the AFL system my love and passion for the game had wavered a bit,” he said. “Coming over to Adelaide in 2017 and working and playing was a nice balance for me.

“But I felt midway through that year of footy it was time for a change up and to do something different. It was important for me to get away from that footy bubble for a while.”

McBean opted to take 2018 away from the game and travel the world for five months, a trip which included the soccer World Cup in Russia.

It was a decision which provided the answers to regaining the hunger to return to the [Glenelg] Tigers’ attack.

Read more: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/glenelgs-liam-mcbean-bags-nine-goals-against-adelaide-after-regaining-passion-for-the-game/news-story/a07c0572cef2fe9bf511bdf00a13fa52

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #680 on: April 17, 2019, 03:55:58 AM »
#bringnbackbeanie :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #681 on: April 19, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »
Des Headland (Brisbane Lions and Fremantle), Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (Richmond and West Coast) and Brennan Stack (Western Bulldogs) all played for Nollamara, who lost to Kwinana by 38 points.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/bush-and-burbs-son-of-a-gun-zac-mainwaring-steps-up-to-amateur-level-ng-b881173541z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #682 on: June 03, 2019, 01:38:59 AM »
Derickx reveals dark times at height of AFL career

Sally Coates,
Sydney Confidential,
The Daily Telegraph
June 3, 2019

Even at the highest peaks of his professional AFL career, Tom Derickx was depressed.

He didn’t realise at first, but always wondered how he could be living such an extraordinary life and still feel like something was wrong.

Originally from Claremont, WA, when he moved to Melbourne to play for the Richmond Tigers he started feeling the effects of what would later be diagnosed as mild depression, not only mentally but physically too.

“I moved away from home, I was homesick, I had a few injuries along the way and I didn’t know too much about the issue,” he Sydney Confidential.

“I had no energy and sometimes struggled to get a deep breath but I just put it down to training a lot.

“It was more the lack of energy, the lack of excitement for what I was doing that worried me.

“I was living a pretty amazing lifestyle and my mood didn’t reflect that.”

He said it took courage but he eventually spoke up and was diagnosed.

Getting help, he was able to identify potential triggers for him and more importantly, what to do if he felt himself sliding into a disruptive pattern again and now he is an ambassador for RU OK?

To help spread the word and try to combat the six Australian men who die every day by suicide, Derickx joined thousands of Australians this weekend at Anytime Fitness gyms all over the country in the Tread As One 24 hour treadmill challenge for RU OK?

Last year’s event saw over $400,000 raised for Suicide Prevention Australia and being a survivor of poor mental health himself, Derickx is eager to smash that target.

“There is so much information out there now, it’s a totally different time,” he said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/tom-derickx-reveals-his-struggle-with-depression-despite-living-an-extraordinary-life/news-story/68a4cffb72535c0185eb2369f24bf0ad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #683 on: June 15, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Michael Bowden was diagnosed with MND one year ago. On Monday, the 72-year-old will complete his 11th Big Bike Ride — a 122km journey from Mandorah all the way back to O’Loughlin in Karama.

‘It mustn’t stop you from living’: School rides to defeat MND

Steve Vivian
PerthNow
15 June 2019

THE inspirational vision of one man has connected a whole community to fight the debilitating condition known as ‘The Beast’: motor neurone disease (MND).

Michael Bowden, who founded O’Loughlin Catholic College’s ‘The Big Bike Ride’ in 2009, which has raised money for breast cancer, multiple sclerosis and many other critical causes, is this year at the heart of the school’s campaign to fight MND.

Michael was diagnosed with MND one year ago. On Monday, the 72-year-old will complete his 11th Big Bike Ride — a 122km journey from Mandorah all the way back to O’Loughlin in Karama.

“Every year has been a major achievement for every kid who has ridden and their families,” Michael told the NT News.

“They face the challenge and grow, and year after year they see the important role they can play in the wider community.”

Chloe Carter, a year 7 student at O’Loughlin, said the ride would be ”extremely special”.

“Because we are helping to fight MND and we get the privilege to do this for others who can’t,” she said.

Joining Michael on the front line of the fight will be Nick Lias, 46, who was recently diagnosed with MND.

“Nick is facing a really big struggle,” Michael said. “We have built a friendship through MND, and together have become mates.”

Michael’s son, and O’Loughlin principal, Rhett Bowden said the school had welcomed Lias, and the wider Greek community, into the fight against MND with open arms.

“We’ve seen Nick grow stronger and seen the spring in the step it’s given his family and community, and that they’ve given us,” he said.

Rhett said there had been an “amazing response (to fundraising efforts) already”.

“It’s something that’s really close to the heart of the community,” he said. “To not only support dad now, but all those who have MND because we know it’s such an important cause.”

For O’Loughlin students, the fight against MND begins at 6.45am Monday morning at the Mandorah jetty. For Michael, the tough-as-nails Richmond Tigers premiership ruck-rover, the fight of his life is just beginning.

“I was diagnosed exactly 12 months ago. I didn’t I know whether I’d be alive today,” he said.

“MND is a life sentence. But it mustn’t stop you from living.

“Don’t go to bed, don’t lie down — get out, and live the best way you can, for as long as you can.”

To find out more information or to do donate click HERE

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/nt/retired-schoolteacher-inspires-students-in-fight-against-mnd-ng-1a6acca9870f5557a07567fad11295af

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #684 on: August 05, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
Richmond premiership hero Shaun Grigg made his return to footy yesterday, playing for Redan in the Ballarat Football League.

The former Tiger and Blue kicked two goals in the side’s win over Ballarat.

shaungrigg6 instagram

Today I was able to live out a childhood dream and play for the Redan football club. As a kid I hung around the senior team like a bad smell and dreamt to be one of them. It was great to be able to complete my football journey back where it all started with a lot of childhood friends and family. ❤️

https://www.instagram.com/shaungrigg6/
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/04/grigg-makes-return-to-footy-after-retirement/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #685 on: August 17, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
The 27-year-old freshman: How Aussie punter Ben Griffiths...

Antonio Morales
theathletic.com
16 Aug 2019

LOS ANGELES — Ben Griffiths’ official USC player bio doesn’t dance around the obvious. “At 27,” one sentence reads, the redshirt freshman punter is “one of the oldest Trojan football players ever.”

Griffiths, who hails from Melbourne and is getting such a late start on his college football career because he spent eight seasons from 2010 to 2017 as a 6-foot-5, 250-pound forward in the Australian Football League, isn’t satisfied with that description.

“I want to know who the oldest is,” said Griffiths, who turns 28 on Sept. 17, “because I want to try and beat them if I can.”

Age jokes, American culture and the intricacies of a new sport have all been part of Griffiths’ adjustment to USC. And the Trojans need him to acclimate quickly and revive their punting game, which ranked 112th nationally among 130 FBS programs with an average of 38.73 yards per punt a year ago.

https://theathletic.com/1141402/2019/08/16/ben-griffiths-usc-punter-australia-age/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #686 on: September 15, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
Essendon's VFL side loss today was Matt Dea's final game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #687 on: October 20, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »
Joel Bowden may be becoming an NT politician.

--------------------------------

Independent backbencher Scott McConnell, who was sacked from caucus before Christmas 2018 along with Mr Vowles, told Parliament this week "it is my understanding that Joel Bowden is the likely replacement candidate for the Johnston electorate".

Mr Bowden, a former AFL player for the Richmond Tigers and the current general secretary of Unions NT, hails from a deeply ingrained NT Labor family.

His father Michael Bowden was today bestowed life membership at the conference.

"Our family has been inspired by my father's work, and my mother's work — we're a community-embedded Territory family," Joel Bowden said today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-19/construction-union-nt-labor-conference-gunner-government/11620002

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #688 on: November 01, 2019, 05:43:09 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #689 on: November 01, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
Jay Schulz has joined Frankston as their senior assistant coach for 2020.

https://frankstonfc.com.au/2019/11/01/5101/