Author Topic: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...  (Read 297717 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Old Footballers - Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #690 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:02 AM »
It is the dawn of a new era for the Hobart Football Club with the appointment of Alex Gilmour as playing coach.

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/from-toothless-tigers-in-2019-hobart-is-set-to-roar-again-in-2020/news-story/5662f4b9bbcb02e11d9cec7c2c05d5b5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #691 on: November 11, 2019, 03:29:44 AM »
After retiring from AFL football at the conclusion of the 2018 season and appearing on Australian Survivor this year, Shaun Hampson is set to take on his greatest physical challenge when he attempts to run 60km in one day for Movember’s MOVE campaign.

Movember’s MOVE campaign encourages individuals to run 60km over the course of November to raise funds and awareness for men’s health, but the former Carlton and Richmond ruckman felt that feat wouldn’t challenge him enough.

Hampson is passionate about raising funds for, and awareness of, men’s physical and mental health following his father Tom’s passing in 2014 following a six-year battle with prostate cancer.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/high-achieving-and-hampson/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #692 on: November 11, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
Top bloke Hamspud

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #693 on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:45 AM »
Deledio to be a playing assistant coach at Box Hill.

https://twitter.com/BoxHillHawks/status/1194781712166711296

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #694 on: November 15, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
Top bloke Hamspud

Trained like there was no tomorrow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #695 on: December 08, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
Ben Griffiths interviewed on Nine News last night: https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1203219269007265793

---------------------------------------------

USC notebook: Punter Ben Griffiths has made impact late in season

LOS ANGELES — As USC head coach Clay Helton broke down his team’s win over Arizona State last weekend, he wanted to bring special attention to a player who doesn’t get much.

“I’ll tell you the other man that I thought really stood up today when you go back and watch this game will be Ben Griffiths,” Helton said of his freshman punter. “His punts inside the 20, pinning those guys deep, was just absolutely huge.”

As Helton praised the Australian punter, defensive end Christian Rector sat beside him, nodding his head in agreement.

Griffiths didn’t have the best statistical game of his career against the Sun Devils, averaging just 36.2 yards per punt. But three times he pinned ASU at its 10-yard line or deeper. On its final two drives of the game, Arizona State started from its 1 and its 10, respectively.

“It’s so big,” Rector said. “You can just see the emotions on the offense when they’re backed up like that and all the pressure’s on them. It’s so hard to march the ball all the way down the field and get big chunk plays and be consistent on third down. So we know we have the advantage when we have a punter like that who can place the ball on the minus-five.”

And as demoralizing as it is for the offense, it’s energizing for the USC defense, too.

“You’re trying to get a safety, you’re trying to score,” said Rector, who added that the defense is still looking for its first touchdown this season. “You’re trying to get the ball back.”

Griffiths is averaging 41.5 yards per punt. Of his 37 attempts, 17 have gone inside the opponents’ 20 and six have gone for over 50 yards.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/13/usc-notebook-punter-ben-griffiths-has-made-impact-late-in-season/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #696 on: December 10, 2019, 12:35:13 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #697 on: December 13, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
"He'll be the best punter in the country": Former Tiger Ben Griffiths is kicking goals

ESPN
By Patrick Djordjevic
December 13, 2019

USC punt returner Tyler Vaughns stood ready to return a Ben Griffiths' bomb during Spring practice. The California native had grown up returning punts for as long as he could remember. He was ready for what was to come - or so he thought.

As Griffiths booted a 70 yard (64m) punt, Vaughns stopped in his tracks and tilted his head toward the heavens as it sailed well over him. It couldn't happen again Vaughns told himself, and he was right. The next punt went even further, this time 75 yards (69m).

Onlookers were left stunned and for the first time they truly understood why USC had put its faith in a then-27-year-old retired AFL footballer.

"I've never seen a punter kick that high or that far," Vaughns said.

"I thought it was a fluke because I'd never seen no punter hit it 70 yards. The next one was like 75 and I said okay his leg is real strong."

There are few college students, let alone punters like Griffiths. The now-28-year old turned his back on a $400,000 one-year contract with Richmond to pursue his American dream. Despite what some think, Griffiths' main motive for choosing USC was to further his education.

In order be eligible for a scholarship Griffiths had to complete a year of study in Melbourne whilst training with Nathan Chapman and John Smith at Prokick Australia. USC's special teams coach John Baxter undertook a 17-hour flight to visit Griffiths before he signed on with the Trojans.

"The one thing we knew going in was, [he] had to be serious about wanting to be a student," Baxter said.

"We didn't want some mercenary that was coming here and just going to punt. This is a top 10 institution in this country and he legitimately wants to be a student."

Griffiths is now one year into a psychology degree and plans on becoming a teacher at the end of his degree. One would think the change from a full-time professional sportsman to a student-athlete would be difficult, but Griffiths has transitioned smoothly. Most weeks, football commitments take up over 30 hours, on top of full-time study and classes.

"In some ways it's more relaxed, school is an outlet from football and football becomes an outlet from school, they're both kind of good for each other," Griffiths said.

USC's main campus exists as its own world within downtown Los Angeles. One cannot help but feel energised around such youthful exuberance and Griffiths has fit in seamlessly. Often, he will be seen riding his scooter to and from campus, like many of his 48,500 peers.

Unlike most first-years, Griffiths lives alone and off campus. Given the 10-year age gap with most students, USC opted to put the ex-Tiger in an apartment 400 metres from the metropolis.

In order to keep up his 3.17 GPA, Griffiths will often study early in the morning or late in the evening once he arrives home from practice.

For most part, the freshman has found the rigours of college football and AFL similar. However, USC practice is a completely foreign event.

As the players walk out, R&B music blares through the speakers. Palm trees hover over the sideline as over 100 players take orders from the coaching staff.

As if that weren't enough, Spirit of Troy -- USC's marching band -- conduct band practice right next to the field. The frenetic atmosphere only enhances preparation for game day according to Griffiths

"In many ways I find the game calmer and more settled than practice," he said, "It's hectic, you've got so many people around with so much noise, it's kind of deliberate in a way. I know Bax (coach Baxter) tries to make it [chaotic] so we're calm amongst the chaos."

After seeing Griffiths routinely punt in excess of 60-yards, expectation was high as the season began. The Aussie has been criticised at various stages this season but many have misunderstood his role.

"His skill level for punting the football is uncommon and his power is uncommon," Baxter said. "Starting back in Spring we trained him to be a punter."

Griffiths' job isn't simply to kick the ball as far as possible. If that occurred, he would often out-kick the coverage, meaning the returner would have more room to run forward, and gain further yardage.

There is far more strategy to the position. Similarly to a golfer, an elite punter must have numerous shots in their bag for varying situations.

"As the year has gone on, it's been more mastering the craft and I feel much more confident with where I'm placed now," Griffiths said.

"I haven't been doing too much different, it's more just been a product of the hard work I've been putting in and just getting game experience, which I think is really important."

"Dad" -- as he's known to teammates -- didn't claim any awards in his first full season but he has exceeded expectations, despite USC's underwhelming 8-4 record.

Head Coach Clay Helton immediately lit up when asked about Griffiths, and without being prompted, added: "He will be the best punter in the country before it's all said and done."

Baxter went a step further when asked about his prospects of an NFL career down the line.

"It's definite. He will be a fantastic pro. He has the most power of any player I've ever seen at that position. Ever. This is my 38th college season. That means played for me or against me. He's got incredible personal traits of calmness, but he's also competitive and athletic," he said.

His athletic and personal gifts were harnessed during his eight-year career at Richmond, and after leaving the club whilst at the peak of its powers one may expect some regret on Griffiths' part.

In fact, it is quite the opposite. On the day of the AFL Grand Final (or, Friday night in the state of Washington) before USC took on the Huskies, he sat nervously in his hotel room with long snapper Damon Johnson, watching the Tigers battle the Giants in the 2019 AFL Grand Final. Nerves permeated through the hotel room, before Griffiths' anxiety was allayed when Richmond went on to dominate the match.

"I was just excited for them! I knew I was probably giving up the chance to play in another Grand Final but I was really confident in my decision and it was something I had to do," Griffiths said.

"There's always going to be part of me that wishes I played in an (AFL) Grand Final, that's just part of sport but I accept that and I love my [Richmond] teammates. I sit back and think how cool was it that I got to play with these guys. My time there was unbelievable, I'll never forget it, it's pretty much shaped who I am."

Off the gridiron Griffiths tries to escape the USC bubble by playing Call of Duty or jamming out with his acoustic guitar, often to When the Sun Goes Down by Arctic Monkeys.

Despite his age, the sun is far from setting on Griffiths' professional sporting career. He harbours ambitions of playing in the NFL, but not at the expense of his degree.

"For me it's all about the degree, I'm pretty firm in my plan that I want to graduate before I have an attempt at the professional league, so I'd probably knock it back [if the opportunity arose earlier]."

https://abc7.com/sports/hell-be-the-best-punter-in-the-country-former-tiger-ben-griffiths-is-kicking-goals/5750450/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #698 on: December 14, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
Drove me insane with anger that guy, could have been anything if he had the heart for it. Athleticism and talent to burn...

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #700 on: December 28, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »
Id like to know whats happening with Michael Mitchell.
I always thought hed be the perfect Director/CEO of our Aboriginal Institute. From what i know he has an wxcellent reputation for running successful programs for Aboriginal kids needing Opportunity

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #701 on: December 28, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
Id like to know whats happening with Michael Mitchell.
I always thought hed be the perfect Director/CEO of our Aboriginal Institute. From what i know he has an wxcellent reputation for running successful programs for Aboriginal kids needing Opportunity

He lives in WA

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #702 on: February 01, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »
Robin Nahas (North Ringwood)

The former Richmond and North Melbourne goalsneak will serve as a playing coach at the EFL outfit this season, having played 117 games at AFL level from 2009-16. Nahas was an assistant to Gary Ayres at Port Melbourne in 2019 and was a member of the Borough’s 2017 VFL flag. He has a young list at his disposal at North Ringwood. “We wanted to go ahead with a playing coach because, to be honest, the last success we had as a football club was through Brett Moyle, who came as a playing coach for the first couple of years,” Saints president Lee Robinson said.

Mav Weller (Doncaster East)

Weller retired from the AFL at the end of last season on the high of Richmond’s VFL premiership triumph and will take the field for EFL Premier Division side Doncaster East in 2020. The inside midfielder made 123 appearances for three clubs – Gold Coast, St Kilda and Richmond – at the top level, after being snapped up as a rookie in 2014. “We touched base with him shortly after that (retirement) and he knows Tom Appleby from our footy club and one of my best mates, who lives in Queensland, manages his brother (Lachie),” Doncaster East coach Steve Buckle said. “He was obviously putting in a good word for us as well.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/local-footy-2020-where-you-can-watch-exafl-players-in-action/news-story/f3cce607b6583406a748abcd7a35455f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #704 on: February 13, 2020, 02:57:50 AM »
Key forward Piva Wright, who was drafted by the Tigers in 2011, will slot into the Tooradin-Dalmore Seagulls forward line in the West Gippsland competition this year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/wgfnc-2020-tooradindalmore-bolsters-list-ahead-of-season/news-story/72f2a7720d0eda3c48e618bf2a175d2c