Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 566147 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #3015 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
isn't the court case about stopping the show cause notices to the players, which james then claims will hurt his reputation (LMAO, poor deluded fool, thats already floating down at werribee)? so does that really constitute his legal rights? if he drags it out too long he could be responsible for the players suspensions being served during the season rather that the season proper, which would mean he is damaging the club? grounds for dismisal?

you raise interesting points, but it only muddies already murky waters
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3016 on: October 01, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
Just copped some abuse on twitter for simply suggesting that a club is bigger than one individual

Didn't go down too well

Some delusional souls them Bumbling bombers fans  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3017 on: October 02, 2014, 03:13:56 AM »
Caro's article ....

James Hird facing the axe at Thursday board meeting
Caroline Wilson
The Age
October 1, 2014 - 9:03PM

James Hird's decision to defy his club and potentially prolong his players' anti-doping battle in appealing last month's Federal Court decision looks to have ended his coaching career at Essendon.

Bombers chairman Paul Little is understood to have lost patience with his recalcitrant coach and was scheduled to hold an emergency board meeting via phone hook-up early on Thursday to rule on Hird's decision to act against the advice of his club.

Little and his chief executive Xavier Campbell are understood to have repeatedly urged the coach to abandon his legal battle but on Wednesday night Hird had refused insisting he was acting upon a matter of principle. Until this week Hird had claimed his legal action was in the interests of his players.

Hird told Channel Seven on Wednesday that he hoped to remain as coach. But on Wednesday night he remained defiant.

CEO Campbell could not guarantee Hird's future adding that the board would make a ruling later in the week.

The club held lengthy crisis talks with the coach at Little's South Yarra office on Wednesday reportedly involving senior players Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard and Heath Hocking. Hird stood firm on his decision to go it alone without the support of the club.

Should Essendon sack Hird it will look at his contractual rights. With the club facing a $1.25 million pay out to the coach and club legend the view even before this latest fall-out was that Hird could have breached his contract should the players receive doping bans or even receive infraction notices.

And Hird's removal would see the club act quickly to appoint caretaker Mark Thompson as coach. Thompson has told the club he would not remain in an assistant's role and on Tuesday his manager Michael Quinlan approached the Gold Coast Suns expressing Thompson's interest in the senior coaching role. Thompson had discussed the Suns job with his former colleague and one-time Suns assistant Ken Hinkley.

The Suns had sacked Guy McKenna on Tuesday and made that decision public the following day but has stressed it would not immediately appoint Thompson without a thorough interview process. There has also been strong speculation this week that Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney, although contracted, is also under pressure to retain his position. But Hird's decision to lodge an appeal — that move was expected to happen on Thursday — appears to have been the final straw for Little.

The club was also furious that Hird's decision came on the day of its Crichton Medal Count which Hird had planned to attend before the club instructed him to stay away.

Little's address to the best and fairest audience included an explanation that the Bombers would not appeal the Middleton decision despite strong legal advice it would succeed.

Little explained the club was acting purely in the interests of its players and their families.

"Our priority throughout this process has always been our players," he said. "As a result, the board has decided not to pursue an appeal against the Federal Court judgment.  "We are of the strong belief that if there is no appeal, the show cause process will recommence immediately and both ASADA and the AFL will undertake to move with as much expedition as possible. It is now time to accept the Federal Court's decision and move on."

Fairfax Media understands the club had approached the AFL and the players' association in a bid to ensure that the players' battle to clear their names would proceed despite Hird's decision.

Normal procedure would dictate that an appeal against the legality of the ASADA investigation by Hird would hold up the re-delivery of show cause notices to the players.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/james-hird-facing-the-axe-at-thursday-board-meeting-20141001-10ot99.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3018 on: October 02, 2014, 03:20:46 AM »
Hird proving once again that he is nothing but a narcissist. It's all about him and screw everyone else  ::).

If Hird is sacked today then a certain ex-Tiger will have a smile on his face ...

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/517226436382306304/photo/1

The Karma bus has arrived for Hird :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3019 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:33 AM »
Blobbo should stand down too if he keeps writing this crap. He's now turned on Essendon and is still loving Hird. Why is this? Why defend him to the hilt under the circumstances?  Odd.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/essendon-is-a-great-club-splitting-at-the-seams-over-drugs-saga/story-fni0fiyv-1227077161342

part of the article:-

While the Bombers have once again given up the fight — feeling it’s practical to end the devastating saga — Hird is a different beast.

He is charging on for himself, his family, the players and the club, knowing that he’s probably sacrificing his career.

Certainly, he is defiant.

Clearly, be believes that principle is more important than coaching.

Even the Hird haters would admit he has mettle.

And what happens if he wins the appeal, and the “show cause” notices disappear?

The Bombers would be slapping themselves on the back, and the bloke who didn’t blink would have lost his job — for saving the club.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3020 on: October 02, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »
Robbo
Jobe
Tim
Finely

Whole host of wankers should resign

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3021 on: October 02, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
ames Hird's statement on appealing the Federal Court verdict

afl.com.au
October 2, 2014 10:37 AM

"I HAVE today lodged an appeal with the Federal Court against the decision of Justice Middleton in Hird v ASADA. I have been advised and believe that there are strong reasons why that decision is incorrect and that this is the proper and appropriate course to vindicate the legal rights of the EFC and its players.

"The challenge to the lawfulness of the joint investigation was and is an important step in showing that the Essendon Football Club, its players and staff were submitted to a compromised investigation and were treated unfairly. If we don’t appeal our players may be stained forever by the innuendo, misconceptions and falsities that resulted from an investigation that we believe was conducted unlawfully.

"It is important that an investigation based on unlawfully gathered information never occurs again to any person, sporting club or organisation.

"ASADA plays an extremely important role in the fight against drugs in sport and must work within the Act under which it operates.

"Throughout my playing career I vehemently opposed the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport. My stance as a coach has been and is exactly the same.

"At no time in the 2012 season did I believe any Essendon player was exposed to any supplement or drug that fell outside the WADA, ASADA or AFL code. Two years since the end of that season I still do not believe any Essendon player took anything illegal. No one has shown me any evidence that would lead me to believe differently.

"I am extremely sorry for the pain this saga has caused the players of the Essendon Football Club, their families, the Essendon Football Club staff, the Essendon Football Club supporters and the football industry as a whole.

"I am requesting expedition of this appeal and will not ask for a stay of the notices. The players and ASADA will be able to continue with the show cause process whilst a full court deals with the legality of the investigation.

"I have not taken this decision lightly. I believe this is the right course or action and is in the best interests of the Essendon Football Club, its players, the supporters and the game.

"The short term simple approach would be to acquiesce and plead guilty to ASADA even though the players, the club and myself do not believe we have breached the rules.  It would be a lie as would pleading out of the proceedings when I, my lawyers and the Essendon Football Club lawyers firmly believe that the investigation was conducted unlawfully and an appeal will be successful."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/statement-from-james-hird

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3022 on: October 02, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Hird has turned up today to Essendon's new Tullamarine base like it's just another day at the office. He told the media he expects to still be coach at the end of the day.

Watson said Hird believes him appealing is the best thing for the EFC and the players [even though the club and players told him not to, Timmy ::) ].

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3023 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
i love this guy  :clapping

Three million + expenses + France

To not coach
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:15:12 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3024 on: October 02, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Caro, on 3aw now, just said she expects the announcement that Hird has been sacked will be made later this afternoon.

:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
James Hird removed as Essendon coach (Age)
« Reply #3025 on: October 02, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
James Hird removed as Essendon coach.

Caroline Wilson
The Age
October 2, 2014

James Hird has been removed as coach of Essendon. The first stage of his removal took place on Wednesday when the outgoing club legend was  given the opportunity
to resign with a nominal payout or be sacked.

Bombers chairman Paul Little is believed to have met Hird in one of his South Yarra offices shortly before Wednesday night's Crichton Medal count and given him a document outlining the first stage of his departure.

Mark Thompson, who filled in as senior coach after Hird's 12-month suspension, looks certain to be appointed to the top job within days.

In a separate but related development, the club is expected to settle its long-running legal dispute with former high performance boss Dean Robinson in a deal expected to cost the Bombers $800,000.

The removal of Hird and the closure of the Robinson case come after AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick told Little last week to bring an end to the costly and messy fall-out from the Essendon drugs program of 2011 and 2012 which still sees 34 players involved at the time facing anti-doping bans.

Wealthy and influential Essendon supporters have been urging Little to act on Hird with the view that even a costly payout of up to $1.25 million would be preferable to the ongoing damage to Essendon's image and the erosion of its culture.

Should a legal battle go ahead with Hird, the club has engaged its queens' counsel Neil Young to represent it. The Bombers remain determined to avoid a wrongful dismissal action from the Hirds.

The final straw for the club came when Hird refused to back down from his determination to lodge an appeal against the Federal Court decision handed down last month.

Even the urging of senior players, led by Brendon Goddard and Dyson Heppell, would not sway the coach whom the club signed last year to a two-year deal ending in 2016.

Hird, who lodged his appeal early on Thursday, said he was acting on a matter of principle. Previously he had insisted his only motivation was to clear the names of his players.

Support for Hird had already been irreparably eroded well before his decision to act alone and against the wishes of his club.

The grand final week players' function saw former Essendon footballers virtually united that Hird must go.

Thompson was given a hero's welcome at the best and fairest count and has told the club he would only stay if appointed senior coach.

Hird, a five-time best and fairest winner, was ordered to stay away from the function and his name was not mentioned in any public forum on the night.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/james-hird-removed-as-essendon-coach-20141002-10p3bn.html#ixzz3EwuTSppj

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3026 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
Herald SUn reporting he hasn't been sacked. #standbyhird
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3027 on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »
Meanwhile Jimmy say his sorry for putting everyone through this

See
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/statement-from-james-hird

Yep and I'm Santa
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3028 on: October 02, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »

Yep and I'm Santa

Cool.  I've been looking for you for a long time and you have a seriously long backlog of items that needs redressing.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3029 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI