Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558909 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #1980 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
as per Bent's link - The Age (Caro) are saying they have a deadline, failures to agree to their punishment and they face the commission where they penalties would be harsher

Finally HQ doing their bloody job
====================================

AFL imposes deadline on Essendon negotiations
DateAugust 27, 2013 - 10:50AM
Caroline Wilson  :bow
Chief Football Writer for The Age

The AFL will today impose a deadline upon Essendon which would force the club to accept the deal before it or front the commission to contest the charges and risk a harsher punishment.

Should the Bombers fail to agree to a resolution at AFL headquarters on Day Two of the protracted talks, the proposed sanctions — which seemed close to being settled late on Monday — would be taken off the table with the club facing more severe penalties.

Fairfax Media understands that an agreement between the AFL and Essendon chiefs appeared imminent before nightfall on Monday before senior coach James Hird refused to accept the wording of the charges against him.

With the Bombers now certain to miss the 2013 finals series, the club will also be banned from participating from rounds one and two of the 2013 national draft. The AFL will also ban the club from round one of the 2014 draft but appeared prepared to give ground on round two of next year’s draft.

The club will also be fined up to $2 million with Hird’s one-year ban a non-negotiable for the AFL

It also emerged that Essendon might not be stripped of its points for 2013 but simply banned from the finals in a reworded penalty that could see Bombers players still eligible for the Brownlow Medal, All-Australian, Rising Star and other prestigious upcoming award ceremonies. In the deal on the table, the AFL appears to have abandoned a push to strip Essendon of points from 2012.

The Bombers’ VFL team also faces being thrown out of the finals. The VFL has not yet settled its finals fixture on Sunday. The second tier competition is understood to be pushing the AFL for a resolution today in order to potentially reset this weekend’s VFL finals.

That move could see Carlton’s aligned VFL team the Northern Blues scrape into the VFL finals on percentage ahead of North Ballarat. Carlton’s senior team could also take Essendon’s place in the finals.

While Essendon chairman Paul Little last night indicated the club was prepared to legally distance itself from Hird and the other individuals charged, the Bombers new chief had on Monday refused to accept a deal without Hird’s agreement.

Hird had not ruled out making good his threat to take the AFL to the Supreme Court as he headed back to the negotiating table on Tuesday. While Essendon had fully accepted its coach would be banned for 12 months, Hird would not accept he was broadly culpable for failing in his duty of care towards his players from late 2011 through the 2012 season.

With the majority of the AFL clubs privately willing the competition’s governing body to demonstrate leadership, cease negotiations and take a strong stand against the Bombers’ drug practices — a push strongly reflected on talkback radio early on Tuesday — patience appeared to be wearing thin at head office over the Bombers’ tactics.

The AFL’s chief negotiators Gillon McLachlan and the league’s senior counsel Jeff Gleeson, were reportedly determined to complete a settlement by Tuesday afternoon or immediately schedule a contested hearing before the commission

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-imposes-deadline-on-essendon-negotiations-20130827-2sn0w.html#ixzz2d8AQEcq9
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:33:05 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1981 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »
Passing the buck at Essendon
By Wayne Goldsmith
Posted 1 hour 40 minutes ago

Who advised James Hird to take the course of denial he has taken?
PHOTO: Who advised James Hird to take the course of denial he has taken?
In a misguided attempt to protect his brand, James Hird insists on denying his responsibility as senior coach for the doping scandal besetting his club, so bringing the whole game into disrepute, writes Wayne Goldsmith.

Every club has a code of conduct (flexible).

They all have rules of behaviour (bendable).

And they all have mission statements, vision statements, team values, team trademarks and team policies (all negotiable).

But there is one rule - one overriding law that every person in every AFL team knows and understands and cannot deny - that is unbreakable.

No-one can do anything in an AFL football department that directly affects or involves the players without the full knowledge and approval of the senior coach.

The senior coach in an AFL club has absolute power and total responsibility for all aspects of training and playing, and that includes the team's sports science and sports medicine program (e.g. player nutrition and supplement use).

Anyone who has any connection with AFL - or for that matter, professional football - knows that the rule applies to everyone, every situation, every aspect of preparation and performance - and all the time.

The fact that it has taken months for ASADA, the AFL and more legal minds than you'd find chasing a fleet of ambulances to come up with these decisions, sanctions and penalties is laughable.

It is clear this Essendon exercise has nothing to do with "clean sport" or risk management or player welfare. It is all about brand protection. It's been drawn out because the stakes for so many - the players, the senior coach, the club and the game - are so high.

Every sporting club and every professional athlete is justifiably protective of their "trademark" - their "brand" - the image that they "sell" to generate revenue.

The trademark and the protection of the trademark is everything in the corporate world, and it is the same in sport.

If you think about Sally Pearson, words like "professional, performance under pressure, superior athletic ability, composed" may come to mind. That's Sally's trademark.

Now think about Lance Armstrong. What words and images come to mind - "cancer survivor, athlete and champion" or "cheat, liar and deceiver"?

Professional sport is all about money and selling "trademarks", and no one - not sponsors, not fans, not the television networks, not advertisers - will throw money at a club or an athlete whose "trademark" is associated with alcohol abuse, violence, racial discrimination, bullying, sexual vilification, illegal gambling or, in this case, drug use.

That's why James Hird, the Essendon Club and its officials have fought so hard for so long to diminish their responsibility for what happened.

The Three Laws of Diminished Responsibility in Sport

There are three laws in sport – the Three Laws of Diminished Responsibility - which are as consistent and reliable as anything Newton ever wrote about gravity, movement or motion:

Under no circumstances accept full responsibility for anything you say or do
If the weight of evidence against you is so strong that it is impossible to continue to deny full responsibility for your words and actions, refer to Law of Diminished Responsibility Number 1
Do not do anything to contradict the first two laws
What kind of message does it send - to kids, to fans, to sponsors, to the public - that it is OK to deny any responsibility for your actions until you are faced with an avalanche of irrefutable and undeniable evidence?

After months of denial, maybe we will finally see some humility and admission of partial responsibility from those concerned, but only - only - when they had no other choice but to fall on their swords - or more accurately in this case, their hypodermics.

As for Hird himself, the question is - who advised him to take the course of denial he has taken?

Imagine for a moment that back in February he came out and declared: "I pushed the limits and boundaries in an effort to help my players become successful. I took some risks - I made some mistakes and for that I am very sorry. I take full responsibility for what's happened and I willingly accept any penalties or sanctions."

He would have got out of this with his reputation largely intact and may even have been admired for having the courage and the character to accept the full responsibilities of leadership. The club and the players could have moved on and enjoyed a successful 2013 season with little or no penalty. The game of AFL would have recovered quickly and the incident buried in a stack of good news stories and exciting on field contests. In this version of the story, everyone wins.

Instead, by persisting with the diminished responsibility defence, the reputation of the club, the coaches, management, staff, players and the game is tarnished - perhaps permanently.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-27/goldsmith-passing-the-buck-at-essendon/4914592
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:34:52 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1982 on: August 27, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
so, anyway....what's happening?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1983 on: August 27, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
so, anyway....what's happening?

Not much

Having lunch the AFL web-site reporting  ;D

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1984 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
Geez.I wonder what they're having for lunch
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1985 on: August 27, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
The best lawyers in Australia are still trying figure out how to find a political correct way to say "drug cheats"

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1986 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
The best lawyers in Australia are still trying figure out how to find a political correct way to say "drug cheats"
:lol :lol :lol so true.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1987 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
Bracket's call on all this.

I know for a fact Demetriou wants blood.
Having said that, my judgement of him in the past is that of cunning, sly bullshitter.
IMO, he's taxing the club via legal fees as much as he can before screwing them as much as he can with penalties.
As i see it, the initial option put to the bumfucks was, accept the first draft of penalties or expect more in addition. :thumbsup
Let's hope I'm right.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1988 on: August 27, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »

Bingo  :thumbsup

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1989 on: August 27, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Should the Bombers fail to agree to a resolution at AFL headquarters on day two of the protracted talks, the proposed sanctions — which seemed close to being settled late on Monday — would be taken off the table with the club facing more severe penalties.......and all because of , gues who ? - JAMES!!!!!LOL
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1990 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
Should the Bombers fail to agree to a resolution at AFL headquarters on day two of the protracted talks, the proposed sanctions — which seemed close to being settled late on Monday — would be taken off the table with the club facing more severe penalties.......and all because of , gues who ? - JAMES!!!!!LOL

Who else would it be but Mr Ego

It's all about James and his need for natural justice you know

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1991 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
 I'm sure Vlad and co are milking it, full knowing that the longer it goes, the more damage is done to Hird's reputation, the higher the legal costings and that the afl has final say. No way Essendone wins here.It's a case of divide and conquer
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1992 on: August 27, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
I'm sure Vlad and co are milking it, full knowing that the longer it goes, the more damage is done to Hird's reputation, the higher the legal costings and that the afl has final say. No way Essendone wins here.It's a case of divide and conquer

Yet for every hour it drags on the reputation of the sport goes further down the poo hole. At the end of then day Vlad wants to save efc regardless of the drug cheating. Efc are so stupid. I pray it goes to court. A judge will send them back to the stone age.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1993 on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
at the end of the day, Vlad want's Hird's head.
Fact.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1994 on: August 27, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
Yet for every hour it drags on the reputation of the sport goes further down the poo hole. At the end of then day Vlad wants to save efc regardless of the drug cheating. Efc are so stupid. I pray it goes to court. A judge will send them back to the stone age.

Why would Andy D want to save the EFC Bents?

Not trying to be a smart you know what skis just interested to know how you have come to that conclusion

Because for me that is so far fromt he truth it isn't funny, you don't take on City Hall like the EFC are and think somehow you are going to be saved

Totally agree with you about the reputation taking a battering the longer this drags on