Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558902 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #2445 on: March 15, 2014, 05:22:40 AM »
John Fahey says AFL drug notices coming

Samantha Lane
    The Age
    March 14, 2014

The World Anti-Doping Agency's former president, John Fahey, says he believes there is now "sufficient information" for infraction notices to be issued "against a number of people" involved in Essendon's 2011-12 supplements program.

In his strongest public statements yet on the AFL case, the agency boss of the past six years, whose term ended in November, has told Fairfax Media it is "irrefutable that there was a problem" at Essendon.

To the chagrin of the AFL, the case that spoilt 2013 has intensified again on the eve of a new season, with sports scientist Stephen Dank, who directed programs at Essendon and the NRL's Cronulla receiving a "show cause" letter from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

ASADA is believed to have levelled allegations of 34 breaches against Dank over his work at Essendon.

Mr Fahey said that "only the complete evaluation, and then hearing under the WADA rules" will determine whether Essendon footballers committed anti-doping-rule violations. The former New South Wales premier said he remains bewildered that the Essendon case has not been investigated by WorkSafe Victoria. ASADA has not issued show-cause or infraction notices to AFL players or support personnel, but Mr Fahey said this was inevitable.

"In generic terms, I have been led to believe that there is sufficient information there that would lead to infraction notices being issued against a number of people," he said.

"The individuals I don't know. The numbers I don't know. Nor do I need to. Nor do I want to.

"Now they've [ASADA] got to, of course, before issuing those notices, satisfy themselves that the evidence will be sufficient to stand up. But my understanding was that it was heading in that direction."

"Something happened that involved substances that clearly were prohibited. There's no doubt they were prohibited."

Asked about Jobe Watson's comments on television last year when Essendon's Brownlow medallist captain said he believed he was given AOD-9604 in the supplements program, but had been assured it was legal, Mr Fahey declined to discuss individuals.

The status of anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 has been widely debated, but WADA's position is fixed. "I have absolutely no doubt that it's a banned substance", Mr Fahey said.

WADA can intervene in anti-doping matters once a national anti-doping body formalises a case.

In a written response to questions, WADA director-general David Howman said the authority would "continue to watch with interest" the most sensational anti-doping case to hit Australian sport.

"From our point of view the investigation by ASADA is still not complete," he said.

"To ensure the integrity of the process is maintained, and given WADA's right of appeal once the process is complete, we cannot comment further at this stage."

Mr Howman said WADA's view is that "ASADA has carried out its investigation pursuant to the Code". Fahey has expressed similar confidence in the government-funded body and its outgoing CEO Aurora Andruska who leaves ASADA in May, while others have criticised the authority for acting too slowly.

"They should be given the room to deal with it in an orderly fashion, whatever that means in terms of time," Mr Fahey said.

"The whole world's got their eyes on Australia", and confirmed that message had been impressed on federal Sport Minister Peter Dutton when Mr Fahey and Mr Howman met with the minister last October.

When it emerged last month that Andruska would soon leave ASADA, Mr Fahey endorsed her work but lamented she had encountered what he termed "bully boys" in pursuing the AFL and NRL cases.

Mr Fahey said he had no issue with highly sensitive information being shared between the AFL and ASADA in last year's joint investigation into Essendon between the bodies. However he said it was not helpful to ASADA that a written update requested by the AFL that was delivered last August was labeled the interim "ASADA report".

"It wasn't," Fahey said. "It was a document for AFL use only under their code of conduct as I understand it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/john-fahey-says-afl-drug-notices-coming-20140314-34sfz.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2446 on: March 15, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Dermie to robbo

I don't know hoe any wife's and kids need peptides

tony_montana

« Reply #2447 on: March 15, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »
lolz how ridiculous did Robbo sound?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2448 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
absolutely  ridiculous

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2449 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »
James Hird has to be the most selfish prick in AFL history. Fancy coming out on the eve of the season and saying he's counting down the days till he returns to the Essendon coaches box. Can't wait to coach them again blah blah.
 Well done James , I'm sure that's exacly what Bomber Thompson and 'his' players wanted to hear right before round 1.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2450 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
James Hird has to be the most selfish prick in AFL history. Fancy coming out on the eve of the season and saying he's counting down the days till he returns to the Essendon coaches box. Can't wait to coach them again blah blah.
 Well done James , I'm sure that's exacly what Bomber Thompson and 'his' players wanted to hear right before round 1.
Narcissistic prick

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2451 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
I was equally staggered by one of Bomber Thompson's comments in his presser yesterday when he was asked about Hird and one of his answers included that Hird "recovering" well

Recovering from what exactly?  :banghead :banghead

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2452 on: March 19, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
I was equally staggered by one of Bomber Thompson's comments in his presser yesterday when he was asked about Hird and one of his answers included that Hird "recovering" well

I would imagine a bit of stress.

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #2453 on: March 19, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Damaged ego.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2454 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »

:gobdrop :gobdrop

Are you serious?

Any stress he may or may not be feeling is of his own making.

His continued failure to take any responsibility for his actions and what he did at the EFC with introducing that supplements program while sooking that everyone is out to get him is not any ones fault but his

He gets no sympathy from me and I doubt he gets any from the majority of footy fans who are appalled by his behaviour

Froars summerd it up perfectly  :clapping :clapping

Narcissistic prick

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2455 on: March 19, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2456 on: March 19, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »

Do you get the feeling there are factions at work WP ? I sense something in Bomber's tone when he talks about the coaching ' agreement '
 I reckon Bomber wants to keep coaching...and coaching Essendon !
There must be a few backroom boys who would rather stick with Thompson too ?
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2457 on: March 19, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
Infraction notice no the day of hirds return from ban would beta giggle

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2458 on: March 19, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »

:gobdrop :gobdrop

Are you serious?

Any stress he may or may not be feeling is of his own making.

His continued failure to take any responsibility for his actions and what he did at the EFC with introducing that supplements program while sooking that everyone is out to get him is not any ones fault but his

He gets no sympathy from me and I doubt he gets any from the majority of footy fans who are appalled by his behaviour

Froars summerd it up perfectly  :clapping :clapping

Narcissistic prick

Didn't say it wasn't (of his doing)

But I can't help feel sorry for people like James who are so deluded.

:cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2459 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
Didn't say it wasn't (of his doing)

But I can't help feel sorry for people like James who are so deluded.

:cheers

Hird is the last person in the world anyone should feel sorry for

His delusions are of his own self importance, innocence and supposed persecution and shouldn't promote any form sympathy

There are plenty of deluded folks out there, just need to read the newspapers everyday to see that ... you actually you post about it in the political thread and you certainly don't appear to feel sorry for those deluded folks  :whistle ;)