Author Topic: Cotchin/Mitchell get Brownlow [merged]  (Read 34270 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cotchin, Mitchell to receive Watson's Brownlow??
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
It's contaminated now anyway

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
It's contaminated now anyway

Not if it's given to the best and FAIREST player ;)

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
I think it's more likely that the medal be voided and no recipient recorded for that year. I can't see Cotchin or Mitchell accepting it under those circumstances.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »
Who would care by now anyway? It's so long ago all the glory is gone.

Retrospective medal... Don't think either bloke would be that excited.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
If the sporting agencies pay out, yes! Otherwise cgaf now, the moments gone.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
pretty rich deleting my comments and calling them puerile after what you let slide in the Martin thread.   :lol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:59:57 AM by Owl »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
I think it's more likely that the medal be voided and no recipient recorded for that year. I can't see Cotchin or Mitchell accepting it under those circumstances.

Nah stuff that. If a bloke is caught cheating then the next clean player gets it.
This is not the Tour de France where they were all on EPO.
Would tarnish the entire competition if they left it blank.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
This becomes a real issue now for the AFL.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »
It's as simple as this, he has been found guilty regardless of how or through who or what he has been found guilty. The Brownlow medal is for the best and fairest in the comp, that's simple. Did he have an unfair advantage by using performance enhancing drugs? Yes he did, that's simple. The entire club is at fault, if it were in a premiership year would they lose the cup? Yes, that's simple.

Should he lose the medal, yes and it's that simple. Is anyone going to say that he didn't notice the extra stamina and endurance that he miraculously gained?? He knew!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
It's as simple as this, he has been found guilty regardless of how or through who or what he has been found guilty. The Brownlow medal is for the best and fairest in the comp, that's simple. Did he have an unfair advantage by using performance enhancing drugs? Yes he did, that's simple. The entire club is at fault, if it were in a premiership year would they lose the cup? Yes, that's simple.

Should he lose the medal, yes and it's that simple. Is anyone going to say that he didn't notice the extra stamina and endurance that he miraculously gained?? He knew!

Could you confirm the simplicity of your statement

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2016, 09:15:36 PM »
Based on the playing out of his skin performances and the performance of his team mates that helped him win the Brownlow by winning those games as a team there can only be one solution here!

Give back the Brownlow Jobe as you clearly did not win it fairly!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
Jobe Watson's Brownlow Medal in limbo until February meeting: AFL

Travis King 
AFL.com.au
January 12, 2016 7:46 PM

THE AFL Commission will hold a meeting in February to decide whether Essendon captain Jobe Watson will keep his 2012 Brownlow Medal.

Watson's medal was put in jeopardy when the Court of Arbitration for Sport found 34 past and present Essendon players, including Watson, guilty of taking banned substance Thymosin Beta-4 in 2012 and suspended them for the entire 2016 season.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan announced on Tuesday the AFL Commission needed time to review the 2012 Brownlow Medal.

"The Commission determined that the awarding of this medal needs to be reviewed in light of today's decision," McLachlan said.

"It is the AFL's view that due process must apply in this matter.

"Therefore it was determined that the full Commission must hear this issue and that a February meeting would provide the appropriate level of time for parties to get prepared.

"Jobe Watson will be invited to address the Commission as (well as) potentially other relevant parties."

Watson faces the prospect of becoming the first player in VFL/AFL history to be stripped of the award for a doping violation.

His father, Tim, told Channel Seven on Tuesday night he had not discussed the issue with his son but he imagined in time Jobe would come to his own conclusion on the matter.

He said Jobe may decide not to address the AFL Commission. 

Watson polled 30 Brownlow votes in the 2012 season to finish four votes clear of Richmond midfielder Trent Cotchin and Hawthorn star Sam Mitchell.

McLachlan said Watson needed to be given the opportunity to address the Commission on the matter given the extraordinary circumstances.

"The fact (is), it's a highly circumstantial case," McLachlan said.

"The decision has been based on a burden of proof that is comfortable satisfaction.

"Those two facts alone mean it's appropriate that he comes and makes a representation.

"This will be one of the most significant decisions that the Commission has had to make in my time in the AFL and natural process alone, as well as the things I've mentioned, mean that it's appropriate that he fronts the Commission."

McLachlan said he had not spoken to Watson since the CAS decision was announced but he said he would speak to him in the coming days. 

AFL Players' Association chief executive Paul Marsh said he hoped the AFL would allow Watson to keep his medal.

"I don't think Jobe or any of the others have done anything wrong," Marsh said.

"I hope the AFL, with a decision that's under their control, make a decision that allows Jobe to keep his Brownlow Medal."

Watson was also named All Australian in 2012 but McLachlan did not mention that honour in relation to February's Commission meeting.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-12/jobe-watsons-brownlow-medal-in-limbo-until-february-meeting-afl

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
I'd gladly take a Brownlow off of a lying drug cheat who's daddy works for channel seven.

Weari it with pride, Cotch.
You had a great year.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:51:33 AM by (•))(©™ »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
Cotch should've won anyway. Multiple games he was bog and only
Polled 1 or no votes

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 12:09:29 AM »
I'm prepared to share - Mitchell can have the half that says 'Best', while Cotch gets the half that says 'Fairest'!    :cheers
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!