Author Topic: Home games at Punt Rd?  (Read 13027 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Suburban grounds in vogue (Age)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Suburban grounds in vogue

Jon Pierik
    The Age
    March 26, 2013

It could be back to the future for the AFL, with league boss Andrew Demetriou confirming two suburban grounds from a bygone era, Carlton's Visy Park and Richmond's Punt Road, could re-emerge as boutique venues.

Whether this is a ploy to put pressure on Etihad Stadium to sell the venue to the AFL earlier than the scheduled date – March8, 2025 – thereby improving the financial distributions to struggling clubs, remains to be seen, but Demetriou said the league had conducted a feasibility study on Carlton's home ground.

''Visy Park can work. But we've got a couple of other options. I think Punt Road has got some legs,'' he said.

It's understood a redevelopment of either ground could cost up to $150 million.

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick said last week the league had been unable to agree to a price with Melbourne Stadiums Ltd, acting on behalf of the five superannuation stakeholders in Etihad.

He said time was running out for a deal to make financial sense to the AFL, for the league will automatically take ownership of the stadium for $1 in 2025.

Melbourne has also investigated whether its training venue at Casey Fields could host home-and-away matches.

The last match for premiership points at Visy Park was in 2005. The Blues have indicated strong interest in again playing games there, although its transformation into a training venue could prove a hindrance. Public transport has always been an issue.

The Blues also want to ditch Etihad Stadium as their home ground from 2015 and shift eight home games to the MCG, where a better financial deal awaits.

But the economics of playing there could also help smaller clubs such as the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne when hosting interstate teams. The break-even attendance would be far lower than required at Etihad Stadium.

Geelong can pocket between $600,000 to $700,000 from a crowd of 20,000 at its home ground, Simonds Stadium.

The AFL will stage 40 matches at Etihad Stadium next season, six less than this year, with the possibility those matches eventually could be held at a smaller venue.

''We have got a number of games that would be attractive in an 18,000- to 20,000-seat venue,'' Demetriou said. ''If you've got a full house in a ground you can create a great atmosphere, so I don't think we should close our minds to a boutique stadium.''

The Tigers believe rebuilding Punt Rd is the ideal move, while North Melbourne's Arden Street venue is also an outside option.

The AFL also said it wanted to lift club memberships from 700,000 to 1 million by 2016.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suburban-grounds-in-vogue-20130325-2gpyd.html#ixzz2OYvyYwP6

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Home games at Punt Rd?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
Is the Punt Road oval lease vested to the Richmond Cricket Club, who have then sub-leased to RFC  ?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Is the Punt Road oval lease vested to the Richmond Cricket Club, who have then sub-leased to RFC  ?
I couldn't find this in last year's concise financial report Darth so I'm not sure if it's changed but the following statement is from the 2010 concise financial report:

The RFC owns 51% of the RCC and includes any surplus or deficit of RCC operations in its financial results. The operations of the RCC are to hold the lease of Punt Road Oval from the Melbourne City Council and to be an accredited member of Cricket Victoria.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Punt Road plans could force Tigers to relocate (afl site)
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
Punt Road plans could force Tigers to relocate
By Matt Thompson
afl.com.au
Friday, March 29, 2013

ANY PLAN to redevelop Punt Road into a third stadium for Melbourne would likely force Richmond to re-locate.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has put the concept of a boutique stadium in the city squarely on the agenda, with the Tigers training base and Carlton's Visy Park slated as potential locations.

But as two of the code's bigger drawing clubs, it's unlikely either the Blues or Tigers would want to host home games at a 20,000-seat venue themselves.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale is open to any proposal, but said there'd need to be compelling case.

"I acknowledge the AFL is looking seriously at this. On face value it seems like a really exciting opportunity," Gale told AFL.com.au.

"It'd have to be a fairly strong commercial rationale to take it further," he said. 

The Tigers have only recently completed an upgrade of Punt Road oval, and have established the ME Bank Centre as a state-of-the-art training complex.

Even a two-year project would force the Tigers to find a new place to train.

Carlton's scenario would be slightly different, and the Blues have welcomed the concept – but the club won't be chipping in for the costs.

"It's got to be funded by the AFL and the state government and if that happens then it can work," chief executive Greg Swann told AFL.com.au.

Swann said it was up to the AFL to "pull the trigger" if anything was to happen in the next couple of years.

A third option for a boutique stadium could be Casey Fields at Cranbourne.

Melbourne currently has a presence at the south-eastern site, in one of the metropolitan area's biggest urban growth corridors.

It's understood a stadium at the previously floated Docklands E-gate site is not currently on the agenda.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-29/tigers-on-the-prowl

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Punt Road plans could force Tigers to relocate (afl site)
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Punt Road plans could force Tigers to relocate
By Matt Thompson
afl.com.au
Friday, March 29, 2013

ANY PLAN to redevelop Punt Road into a third stadium for Melbourne would likely force Richmond to re-locate.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has put the concept of a boutique stadium in the city squarely on the agenda, with the Tigers training base and Carlton's Visy Park slated as potential locations.

But as two of the code's bigger drawing clubs, it's unlikely either the Blues or Tigers would want to host home games at a 20,000-seat venue themselves.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale is open to any proposal, but said there'd need to be compelling case.

"I acknowledge the AFL is looking seriously at this. On face value it seems like a really exciting opportunity," Gale told AFL.com.au.

"It'd have to be a fairly strong commercial rationale to take it further," he said. 

The Tigers have only recently completed an upgrade of Punt Road oval, and have established the ME Bank Centre as a state-of-the-art training complex.

Even a two-year project would force the Tigers to find a new place to train.

Carlton's scenario would be slightly different, and the Blues have welcomed the concept – but the club won't be chipping in for the costs.

"It's got to be funded by the AFL and the state government and if that happens then it can work," chief executive Greg Swann told AFL.com.au.

Swann said it was up to the AFL to "pull the trigger" if anything was to happen in the next couple of years.

A third option for a boutique stadium could be Casey Fields at Cranbourne.

Melbourne currently has a presence at the south-eastern site, in one of the metropolitan area's biggest urban growth corridors.

It's understood a stadium at the previously floated Docklands E-gate site is not currently on the agenda.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-29/tigers-on-the-prowl
Perhaps in retrospect perhaps it might have been better if Menzies had got his way and the 56 Olympic Games where held at Princes Park

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
Demetriou today on SEN said the only two options for a boutique stadium they are looking at are Punt Rd and Princes Park. He mentioned Gold Coast vs Richmond as being ideal for a boutique stadium. Not sure how the Tiger Army is meant to fit into Punt Rd these days even if its capacity was increased to 25k.

Rampstar

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
I think the Punt Road option is the first option for the AFL. We will be forced to relocate but we will be massively compensated +$20 million IMHO. The problem for us is where do we go to? I am not supportive of us moving. Punt Road Oval is ours but we will be left holding the bag again so the AFL can get its way. Its a disgrace IMHO.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
Demetriou today on SEN said the only two options for a boutique stadium they are looking at are Punt Rd and Princes Park. He mentioned Gold Coast vs Richmond as being ideal for a boutique stadium. Not sure how the Tiger Army is meant to fit into Punt Rd these days even if its capacity was increased to 25k.

Will be coterie members corporates select few rank and file members those who have memberships with reserved seatingand the obligatory 20 or so Suns fans. 

Optus Oval is far more accommodating in terms of match day facilities. Last game played there was 2005. We last played at Punt Rd in 1964. ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
I think the Punt Road option is the first option for the AFL. We will be forced to relocate but we will be massively compensated +$20 million IMHO. The problem for us is where do we go to? I am not supportive of us moving. Punt Road Oval is ours but we will be left holding the bag again so the AFL can get its way. Its a disgrace IMHO.

"Massively compensated" you are kidding Ramps, this is the AFL we are talking about  ;D

I would see us having to move somewhere to train for a pre-season and then we'd be allowed back in on the terms of the AFL.

However, there would be no VFL games at punt road, there wouldn't be much financial benefit as to the club from games being there, where as having VF games there would.

Personally I wouldn't want it, too many people have worked too bloody hard and given too much to re-build our home to an elite training venue and admin complex to now have the AFL say its your ground but we control it.

No thanks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
If they want to do something for the game they could just build a small stadium out at Cranbourne or maybe Improve the Western Oval in Footscray or why not just send the smaller games to Kardinia Park.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »
I reckon Collingwood and Carlton are behind this. Eddie and Fitzpatrick.
Why now when RFC are finally getting their on field agendas in a stable and positive position, why bring it up when we are planning on fielding our own VFL side who could conceivably play VFL games at Punt Rd prior to games at the G which gives us two bites of the cherry,why now when our finances are secure and we may be debt free very soon, why now when if this upward on field continues and materialises we get to 60k members and beyond, why now when we could be paid by the VFL to use our ground for other VFL games not involving Richmond.

All this to inconvenience us now. What, we got our govt and AFL handout built the ME centre that is all RFC and now we'll move out and find somewhere new.
Skata, why not 3 years ago instead the powers that be were adopting the wait and see approach and now that we are competitive lets cause them a headache and let's move on this now. We know they can be suspect at board level and Gary March is standing down at the end of the year.

It's all fear of the RFC. Call me crazy but they fear our genuine revival both on and off field and will try and hinder that until our success and the organisations extra revenue over subsequent seasons and sustained success gives us more bargaining power to tell them to go forth and multiply.

Let them use Princes Park. If we are much chop we'll play there seldom lay. Let Carlcheat prop up Nort, Bulldogs Melbourne and St.Kilda.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
If they want to do something for the game they could just build a small stadium out at Cranbourne or maybe Improve the Western Oval in Footscray or why not just send the smaller games to Kardinia Park.

Kardinia Park is Geelong, not Melbourne CBD or inner Melbourne Metro area.

Rampstar

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »

Kardinia Park is Geelong, not Melbourne CBD or inner Melbourne Metro area.

Its still a 3rd ground and its already their why must there be a 3rd stadium in Melbourne. Kardinia Park is already there, its got good facilities - Norf and Footscray should be playing 2 or 3 games a year there IMHO.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
it still would remain as an elite training complex, I would think the RFC would come out of it with like a 50 year lease or something but seriously a RFC v GC game, say what, No RFC would ever attract < 35k ...i mean we re heading for 60k members FFS...that means there would be a bloody revolt if any of our home games were to be scheduled at Punt rd, sounds crazy doesnt it ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »

"Massively compensated" you are kidding Ramps, this is the AFL we are talking about  ;D

I would see us having to move somewhere to train for a pre-seaHin and then we'd be allowed back in on the terms of the AFL.

However, there would be no VFL games at punt road, there wouldn't be much financial benefit as to the club from games being there, where as having VF games there would.

Personally I wouldn't want it, too many people have worked too bloody hard and given too much to re-build our home to an elite training venue and admin complex to now have the AFL say its your ground but we control it.

No thanks

I believe hawthorn made out like bandits with the whole Waverley deal. Set them up as a financial powerhouse