Author Topic: Aaron Edwards, Orren Stephenson in line for selection at Richmond  (Read 2322 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Aaron Edwards, Orren Stephenson in line for selection at Richmond

FORMER Geelong ruckman Orren Stephenson and ex-North Melbourne forward Aaron Edwards could be vying to make their Richmond debuts in Saturday's AFL match against Port Adelaide.

Tigers ruck duo Ivan Maric and Tyrone Vickery both copped injuries early in the second half of last night's loss to Geelong.

Maric returned to the field after rolling an ankle but was clearly inhibited, while Vickery was left concussed and bleeding by a head clash and did not return.

"He (Vickery) was pretty dazed last night. He had a couple of stitches in his forehead," captain Trent Cotchin told Channel 7's AFL Game Day today.

"He had blood there leaking from his head and he was in a world of pain.

"He's a very tough character and hopefully he'll be able to get up for next week's game.

"Obviously Ivvy (Maric) was a little bit sore in the third quarter as well."

Cotchin said if one or both big men were unable to face the Power, Stephenson, rookie-drafted as a back-up ruckman, and Edwards, traded to the Tigers, would be in contention.

"He's been quite impressive in the Coburg (VFL) squad," Cotchin said of Edwards.

"The way he leads up to the footy with intent is fantastic and he's also worked on his defensive pressure in the forward line.

"Whether or not it's him or the big O (Stephenson), who's been playing some fantastic footy down at Coburg as well."

Cats v Tigers stats and SuperCoach points at LiveHQ

Edwards took 16 marks in Coburg's win against Essendon's VFL side yesterday and kicked two goals, taking his tally to 14 in the past three weeks.

Midfielders Shane Tuck (25 disposals) and Nathan Foley (24) will also be contention for a senior call-up.

Cotchin said his management was in talks with the Tigers about a new contract.

"There's a number of our players out of contract this season – Jack and Dusty, just to name a couple.

"It's just something that will get done in the future, whether or not it's in the next couple of weeks or in the next three months.

"It's not something I'm stressing about, to be totally honest.

"The powers that be will make that decision at the appropriate time."

And the Tigers skipper said he was below his best against the Cats, battling both a knee complaint sustained against Fremantle in the previous round and a cold.

"There's no excuses though, if you put your hand up to play you've got to perform your role for the side and I didn't," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/aaron-edwards-orren-stephenson-in-line-for-selection-at-richmond/story-e6frf9mx-1226635501650
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Aaron Edwards, Orren Stephenson in line for selection at Richmond
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
Would explain his poor form for this game at least..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
If these two are the answer Ill be stuffed

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »
My son just met Newy's dad said Selwood was one of guys likes to get into the players heads.
He also reminded my son that he was the oldest player in VFL/AFL history never to play in a final.

Sad for the Newman family because I don't reckon it's gonna happen whilst Newman is playing unless there is some kind of miracle.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
My son just met Newy's dad said Selwood was one of guys likes to get into the players heads.
He also reminded my son that he was the oldest player in VFL/AFL history never to play in a final.

Sad for the Newman family because I don't reckon it's gonna happen whilst Newman is playing unless there is some kind of miracle.

Cant blame Newy for cracking it. That would sting.

Poor bastard Newman.  :-\

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »

Maybe you could get Moses in for a pep talk to the lads?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »

Its very easy to be a cocky 23 year old when you've been lucky enough to be drafted to a team like Geelong.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »

Its very easy to be a cocky 23 year old when you've been lucky enough to be drafted to a team like Geelong.
Lucky bastard is selwood.
Geelong have a crappy year in 2006 and finish 1 spot lower than us as we finish 9th. That year they get selwood at pick 7.
A year later Geelong pick Harry Taylor with pick 17. One pick before we get Rance at pick 18.

Some are triple premiership players and others aren't.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
Very difficult for A.Edwards. I don't think you could do a straight swap for Vickery. If you did then someone like McGuane would need to ruck which would be a near automatic clearance loss each time. Derickx is the other option but he is miles away from it. McBean would be perfect...in 3 years but if you were willing to take the ruck loss he would provide more upside in the forward line.

Could the Big O ruck out almost the whole game? I don't think he provides much around the ground otherwise. What is the luck to potentially lose our two best rucks in the space of two minutes?  :banghead

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
Let the Big O ruck the whole match and give Maric a rest.  Have him float between CHF and CHB like we used to do with Gale and straighten us up or make the opposition accountable.

Let them win the around the ground ruck contests and have our midfielders sit on their midfielders and steal it when it comes out.  Opposition clubs have been doing that to us for years.  They will soon stop going for the ball when arnot, tuck, martin crunch them.

A chair would be more effective than Vickery.  Having him out of the side is an advantage in itself.  Blicav beat him on the weekend, that's how bad he is.

A. Edwards is a strong mark and a good kick for goal.  Could do worse than giving him a go.

Tuck must come in.  Foley isn't ready.  Maybe give biscuits a go.  Its about time Jackson got the boot but wont happen.  Ellis and White must go.  Sick of watching them fumble and fall over themselves.  Not up to AFL.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Newy should have stood up and not did what he did. Critical as we would have hit the front instead we were playing catch up after that.

Selwood was right and he might be right about it this year too.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
  Ellis and White must go.  Sick of watching them fumble and fall over themselves.  Not up to AFL.

:o :o :o his a second year player and you're already saying his not up to it?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »
  Ellis and White must go.  Sick of watching them fumble and fall over themselves.  Not up to AFL.

:o :o :o his a second year player and you're already saying his not up to it?

Exactly the reason I don't want to see McBean - comments like that  :-\ ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
Ellis is not up to it.  Doesn't perform at AFL level.  Wouldn't matter if he was a 10 year player.  If he spends a couple of years in the ressies, learns how to kick, learns how to pickup the ball cleanly, gets an engine and can perform at AFL level.  Then you can say he is up to it.  Until then.  Its really simple. He is not up to it.  The same could be said of White when he was in his second year.  Hasn't improved.  He still isn't up to it.  Nothing to be precious about.

McBean is too skinny.  Why would you want to see him.....  The only thing he will get playing senior footy is smashed by bigger bodies and stretchered off with a career ending injury....

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
yeah seriously...give the poor bugger a chance, he will fill out some more and end up a pretty dangerous prospect.
Lots of people name their swords......