Author Topic: Will RFC make the 8 in 2013?  (Read 11579 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rebuild on the Verge of Failure IMHO
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
Notice the Blues went and poached Stephen Wells' 2IC the other day.

Derek Hine went and got another brilliant mind to assist him in Rendell.

The club have the coin and have offered to spend it on extending our recruiting network but FJ does not believe in it. He has stated that a smaller network provides better results. FJ does not play well with others. FJ does not want to be exposed as hack. FJ is a stuffing four eyed fruit.

FJ  :bow :bow

::)

That's disturbing if it's true.  A few years back Collingwood had 9 recruiters, 4 permanent I think.

gerkin greg

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
I would have shoved him off the mic and picked luke Parker over Batchelor.

Another Fine Eyes  :facepalm Moment

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
The issue is the Club, at least with its public statements, got ahead of itself given where the list is currently at. Those of us here who analysed our list since Hardwick took over were saying the earliest chance we would have of making the finals was possibly 2013 with some luck but we may even have to wait until 2014 (given we won meaningless games in 2009-10 and missed out on valuable top 20 priority draft picks in compromised drafts to accelerate the rebuild). The Club however was talking finals last year when we had no chance (which is how it turned out) and again this year the Club has been talking finals as if it's a given when really it was/is a 50/50 chance (ie. we need/needed things to go our way). Due the Club talking and promising finals, it's raised expectations beyond reality and so as supporters we're talking about us failing when we really are just showing where we are still at and how far away we still are from the top sides.

The list is still immature IMO and still lacking about a half-a-dozen AFL standard footballers including a couple more A-graders. That can be achieved over the next couple of drafts, trade and free agency periods. So I wouldn't say yet the rebuild is on the verge of failure; it's just still incomplete. There's finally a decent core to build around but there's more to do. Unfortunately the Club doesn't help itself by still talking too much before it can walk  :P.

To make the finals this year we needed the following to happen:

(i) Our A-graders to continue to be our best and most consistent players moving towards the elite category.
So that's Cotch, Lids and Jack. Despite not reaching the dizzy heights I still think in the main across the season they have delivered (albeit minus a couple of games). The problem is they can't and shouldn't be made to carry the side. For the A-graders to shine over 4 quarters you need the supporting cast to share the workload. So we move onto point (ii).

(ii) Those B-graders that stepped up and had good/breakout years in 2012, needed to back it up this year.
This IMV has not happened and the most disappointing aspect. Ivan and Grigg who had terrific years last year are well down on their 2012 output. Ivan's form is the biggest concern as there's no reliable back-up and it's affecting the whole side's output especially our midfield.

(iii) Our young blokes coming into their 3rd-4th years needed to step up and have breakout years.
Mixed news. Conca and Ellis have stepped up (sadly both injured now) while Vlastuin isn't a 3rd-4th year player but he plays like one. Dusty still needs to build up his tank but IMO he's had a good year and obviously better than in 2012. On the other hand however, Our younger talls haven't stepped up and hence we've still had to rely on the likes of McGuane and now A.Edwards.

(iii) Our new mature recruits needed to be best-22ers in our side.
Mixed news again. Chaplin's been a good addition and Knights was starting to be as well before the season-ending injury. So thumbs up to free agency. Petterd was okay before also getting injured. On the other hand, the mature rookie "back-up for injuries" idea has been a flop so far. No doubt Big O would be in the side if the coaching staff felt they could rely on him to relieve Maric whereas Lonergan was useless against his old side in filling in for the injured Tucky. Now this week we're going to try Az Edwards who has come in for the omitted McGuane.   

(iv) A bit luck injury-wise.
Unlike this time last year when we had pretty much a dream run during the first 9-10 rounds, we've been hit regularly with injuries this year and ones that are keeping best-22ers out for month(s). As a result, we are chopping and changing the side on a weekly basis. Further to that the injuries have hit our 2nd tier types - Tuck, Conca, Ellis, Knights, Grimes and Petterd. This has resulted in our bottom six needing to now step up and be our middle six which they clearly can't against any decent team. We saw in the 2nd half of last year how much we fell away in terms of quality footy played compared to the first half of 2012. So depth or lack of it is still major issue for us as it is for all the middle-of-the-ladder sides vying to scrape into the top 8. Cop half-a-dozen injuries and as a side you reach your breaking point and you drop away from looking quite a decent side to playing ugly crap! Hopefully (touchwood) we don't cop any more serious injuries and start getting back most of the above (Knights gone for good sadly) for the second half of the year.

(v) Beat the sides around and below us (ie. no more bad losses to the likes of Port & Suns in 2012)
So far it's a tick as we are winning the games we're expected to. However, our current form line in terms of the quality of footy we're producing is more the concern than the results. Apart from the Bulldogs game, I haven't seen us play more than a half of decent footy yet this season. We've got away with it against the sides below us but as expected not against the sides above us. That for mine stems from points (ii) and (iv). IMO our season along with this point (v) will be decided in the Adelaide and North games coming up after the bye. It will mean the difference between being 9-5 and having a genuine shot at making the finals or being 7-7 and missing out by a few wins again. Right now on form we are facing the latter :-\ but 3-4 inclusions replacing the absolute fill-in duds after the bye can still see us turn it around.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
I would have shoved him off the mic and picked luke Parker over Batchelor.

Another Fine Eyes  :facepalm Moment
  :banghead :banghead :banghead

Rampstar

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
Just on a side note can someone tell me why Luke Parker isnt wearing a Tigers jumper. In 2010 Me and many others were calling for him to be called out by us but instead we took Batchelor. Seriously how can a decision like that be made. Also just looked at the 2010 draft again ... Conca is ok but others wanted Heppell and further down the list we took Tom Derrickx and a few selections later Hawthorn took Paul Puopolo. Now I dont mind mistakes being made and maybe Conca/Heppell is 50/50 but Parker was always a better prospect than Batchelor. Good recruiters find the likes of Puopolo and not Derrickx.

Gigantor

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
conca /heppelll aint 50/50 .Heppell is a star conca aint(yet)

Rampstar

« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
conca /heppelll aint 50/50 .Heppell is a star conca aint(yet)

Ive tried to be generous and give the benefit of the doubt. I have to say though that I agree with you.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »

(iii) Our young blokes coming into their 3rd-4th years needed to step up and have breakout years.
Mixed news. Conca and Ellis have stepped up (sadly both injured now) while Vlastuin isn't a 3rd-4th year player but he plays like one. Dusty still needs to build up his tank but IMO he's had a good year and obviously better than in 2012. On the other hand however, Our younger talls haven't stepped up and hence we've still had to rely on the likes of McGuane and now A.Edwards.

(iii) Our new mature recruits needed to be best-22ers in our side.
Mixed news again. Chaplin's been a good addition and Knights was starting to be as well before the season-ending injury. So thumbs up to free agency. Petterd was okay before also getting injured. On the other hand, the mature rookie "back-up for injuries" idea has been a flop so far. No doubt Big O would be in the side if the coaching staff felt they could rely on him to relieve Maric whereas Lonergan was useless against his old side in filling in for the injured Tucky. Now this week we're going to try Az Edwards who has come in for the omitted McGuane.   
I really like reading your posts MT.
When Hardwick took over we were at our lowest and had a hard task ahead of him.  I was saying at the time I'd expect to see finals by 2014.
What I like to look for in a coach is an uncompromising stance on excellence. It's important for all clubs but so much more important for us considering our history in the last 30 years.
As I've said before unless you eradicate mediocrity it's stain will one day rear its ugly head.

Hardwick said all the right things in his first two years.  "You won't play in this jumper if you can't win your own ball", "We want great kicks". etc etc.

Unfortunately we are all clearly seeing the same pattern of quick fix as we've seen in the past.
A player like Griffiths is a prime example of the problems the club finds itself in at the minute and some questions need to be seriously asked;

a) Why isn't he playing?
In light of the long term view that 2014 was a realistic time frame in which to expect finals.
b) Why isn't he playing?
If he is young and a developing KPP already in the system for 4 years
c) Why isn't he playing?
If your going to either fast track his development or find out if he's worth persisting with.
d) Why isn't he playing?
Keep playing a Miller; understandably with the idea that griff wasn't ready at the time and we needed onfield leadership but in light of this then why play Mcguane ahead of him and now play a 29 y/o VFL standard washed up hack in "lockup" that's still as immature as my 18 year old son?
e) Why isn't he playing?
What does this say about our recruiting of him if by now he hasn't come on, he's not getting selected & we seriously need to find a future KPF or another ruck option.
f) Why isn't he playing?
If we aren't playing him then what does this say about Francis recruiting him ahead of some seriously quality players that look miles ahead of him in development and are getting regular games.

It's a bloody disgrace.
And as supporters we should demand answers on this. It's either a bad choice at draft, pee poor deplorable development or now they are going for quick fixes to get short term success.

The same questions could be asked on Arnott and the fact they choose to go down the Lonergan path.
It's just mind boggling and head scratching stuff.

I hope this doesn't go down the toilet because the way it's looking its headed in the same direction we've seen time and time again.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
He isn't playing cause dimma doesn't care about the future.

Short term goals.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
Either that or he has played like a breakable mannequin when given the chance and shown less at Coburg

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
And yet mcgaune started in seniors regardless of proven rubbish.

dwaino

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
Doesn't matter what thread I click on, I keep reading the same thing

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
1. Just on a side note can someone tell me why Luke Parker isnt wearing a Tigers jumper. In 2010 Me and many others were calling for him to be called out by us but instead we took Batchelor.
2. Conca is ok but others wanted Heppell
3. Tom Derrickx and a few selections later Hawthorn took Paul Puopolo.

1. Hindsight. Batch looked good but this year his playing KPD and not to badly except for one game IMO for someone who shouldn't be there
2. We don't need more half back flankers  :banghead
3. We needed a ruckman and still do. Imagine Claw if we didn't have Derrickx  :o

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
1. Just on a side note can someone tell me why Luke Parker isnt wearing a Tigers jumper. In 2010 Me and many others were calling for him to be called out by us but instead we took Batchelor.

1. Hindsight. Batch looked good but this year his playing KPD and not to badly except for one game IMO for someone who shouldn't be there
3. We needed a ruckman and still do. Imagine Claw if we didn't have Derrickx  :o
Heppell plays in the middle this year. He is the one with the messy hair.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »

Heppell plays in the middle this year. He is the one with the messy hair.
Sometimes and never does anything while there  :lol