Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 34148 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Matt Thomas [merged]
« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
Port fitness > rich?  :whistle

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
Port fitness > rich?  :whistle

Thought crossed my mind too Bents.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
Cotchin's lack of blocking for Martin after he handballed it to him didnt look good either...

Reckon that was more about having absolutely no idea where the man was and being taken by surprise as much as Martin was. Perhaps that is even more damning. Whatever the cause pretty poor football by supposedly two of our guns.

I agree that it was pretty poor football by two of our better players.  Especially from the Captain, it doesnt send a good message to the rest of the playing group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
Hardwick helps revive Thomas’ career
richmondfc.com.au 
April 4, 2014

“’Dimma’ has been really good.  He just keeps it really simple for me, which is what I like,” Thomas said.

“He just really wants me to be a bit of an enforcer, and smash in, get the tackles, and protect my other teammates.

“That’s the role I’ll be playing this year.

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-04-04/hardwick-helps-revive-thomas-career

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »

“He just really wants me to be a bit of an enforcer, and smash in, get the tackles, and protect my other teammates.

But whose going to crack in and protect our best mid?  :shh :whistle

dwaino

« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

Jackson will be back to give Thomo some support this week  :clapping  :whistle ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »

Jackson will be back to give Thomo some support this week  :clapping  :whistle ;D
But then we need someone to protect our champion mid.  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
He is injured this game unfortunately

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond recruit Matt Thomas reveals he could have gone to Carlton
Herald-Sun
April 04, 2014 7:00PM

RICHMOND “wrecking ball” Matt Thomas could have been a Carlton recruit, with the Blues one of four clubs to chase him last season.

Thomas has had a sensational start to his Tigers career after they recruited him 12 months after trying to lure him home in late 2012.

The 27-year-old will take on one of the star Western Bulldogs midfielders in Ryan Griffen or Tom Liberatore, after a best-afield performance against the Blues.

Thomas said the faith shown in him by coach Damien Hardwick and Tigers pro scout Blair Hartley got him to Punt Rd, but there were other suitors.

Thomas was delisted on a Monday in September, won the SANFL’s Magarey Medal the following day, and finally found his way to Richmond.

‘’I was delisted on the Monday and was obviously pretty disappointed because I had been at Port Adelaide so long, and then went to the Magarey Medal on the Tuesday with my fiancee Stacey and won. I was in disbelief. It was such an emotional roller-coaster I had been on.

“I was aware of Richmond’s interest. Blair had always shown interest and the season before they had asked if I would come over and Port wouldn’t let me go.

“There was a little bit of interest from Melbourne and Carlton and GWS. But none of it eventuated.

“My heart was with Richmond, given I was originally from Melbourne, and I was excited to be given the opportunity.”

The former Sandringham Dragon said the win over Carlton was everything he had hoped playing for a power club would be.

“I spoke to Chappy (Troy Chaplin) about it and he said you will get shivers up the back of your neck. Then the game was nice and close in the last quarter and you could really tell what it would be like to play in front of 80,000 fans.

“To sing the yellow and black in my first win was pretty awesome. I couldn’t see because I had Gatorade in my eyes and I had the taste of sugar all over me. It was a sweet victory in both senses.”

Hardwick has told him to keep his game simple, which he plans to do to keep his spot in the side.

“It’s just playing to your strengths,” Thomas said. “For me it’s contested footy and tackling and pressure. I leave the fancy kicks to guys like (Trent) Cotchin and (Dustin) Martin and the high marks to Jack (Riewoldt).

“The Dogs will give us a really fierce contest in the first quarter and they will try to get the lead early in the game, so we expect a really tough game.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruit-matt-thomas-reveals-he-could-have-gone-to-carlton/story-fndv8t7m-1226874941230

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #279 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Love Thomas.
Fierce.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2014, 03:44:22 AM »
Wasn;t he last pick in the rookie draft? If those clubs wanted him they could have just taken him. Don't get a big head Matty.  :whistle

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
From Seychelles  :o

:clapping

Phil Mrakov come on down

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
Thomas is great, not the best disposer but he is a real dynamo. Is he our Tucky replacement?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Best game for us yesterday. Showed a burst of speed in his first 2 steps he hasn't shown all year. Still prefer to give games to Miles as our clearance machine. Just much more upside.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
played 6 games so far. all bar one of those 6 have been pretty darn good. how do you put it. ah ys he gives us a presence in contests.