Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 37094 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Matt Thomas - 100 games [merged]
« Reply #420 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Thomas has been pretty good this year. I'd like to see him upgraded asap but until then the side needs his grunt. However , if puts in another game like he did on Friday night he should be dropped. In fact he was so poor that he may get dropped anyway.

I agree with this. I have always rated Miles over Thomas. I believe Miles has a greater upside with skills, speed and poise but this isn't a Thomas v Miles debate. Thomas wins the contested ball. We need as many strong contested players around stoppages as we can so unless we are swapping like for like Thomas should stay in the team. In saying that I would not be upset to see Jackson take his spot this week.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #421 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
Based on the Games I watched Miles play at GWS, I have been backing him since he was a chance for rookie selection. I actually thought GWS were crazy to delist him at the time.

In the which rookie should be promoted thread below I'm pretty sure gerks and I were the first to recommend Miles for promotion. FWIW, In this thread WP said nobody should be elevated before the club had time to assess how good they would be.

Miles by a Mile.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #422 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »

Can I add his lack of 2nd efforts on Friday night in the chasing stackes (which is a strength of his BTW) espeically in the 3rd qtr before he got subbed were very disappointing  ;D

Was his worst game for us and rightfully got subbed. Doesn't particularly scream favourite

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #423 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »

Can I add his lack of 2nd efforts on Friday night in the chasing stackes (which is a strength of his BTW) espeically in the 3rd qtr before he got subbed were very disappointing  ;D

Was his worst game for us and rightfully got subbed. Doesn't particularly scream favourite

::) ::) did I say it did? No just highlighting one of his problems on Friday night.

You don't think he is a favourite, I believe he is for a whole lot reasons  ;D

We are entitled to different opinions aren't we?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #424 on: August 11, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
Thomarse is shyte and should never have beed drafted, let alone been given senior games.

/thread
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #425 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »

::) ::) did I say it did? No just highlighting one of his problems on Friday night.

You don't think he is a favourite, I believe he is for a whole lot reasons  ;D

We are entitled to different opinions aren't we?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) No you didn't but you have said he is a favourite and gets games despite poor performances but when he actually has turned in a poo one he has been subbed out, but nice try at a deflection.

I always thought we were but you're the one seeming to take offence to me putting my opinion forward

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #426 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
Thomarse is shyte and should never have beed drafted, let alone been given senior games.

/thread

Thats not what you said before

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #427 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) No you didn't but you have said he is a favourite and gets games despite poor performances but when he actually has turned in a poo one he has been subbed out, but nice try at a deflection.

I always thought we were but you're the one seeming to take offence to me putting my opinion forward

He's actually be subbed out in another game because of a poor performance but I'll let that one slide

Simply I am not trying to deflect anything. Which part of "I believe he is a favourite for a whole lot of reasons" is not an opinion, my opinion.

I believe IMO he got given games ahead of others when he wasn't playing great, just like a number of others did earlier in the year. People on here put those other players in the favourites category. I do the same with Thomas

That's my view based on as I said a lot of reasons. And no I will not be elaborating further because I reckon I've covered it  enough over many threads.

That was my initial point at the very beginning. Claw argued that Thomas was getting games ahead of others because the others (read the kids) are obviously "duds" who werent' doing enough to get games. I wrote that Thomas along with a number of others who Claw deems as "duds" were getting games when we were playing crap while kids in the VFL were getting named in the best week after week got overlooked. That IMHO happened because Dimma was playing favourites. So I have said IMO Thomas was/is a favourite. I believe that and I stand by that opinion

Finally I am not taking offence to your opinion. All I am doing is debating a point with you. Isn't that what is supposed to happen on a forum? We don't agree (clearly). But you are taking the view that Thomas being subbed on Friday is justifiying he isn't a favourite. All I am saying is that based on what happened over the entire season he is.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #428 on: August 11, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »

He's actually be subbed out in another game because of a poor performance but I'll let that one slide

Simply I am not trying to deflect anything. Which part of "I believe he is a favourite for a whole lot of reasons" is not an opinion, my opinion.

I believe IMO he got given games ahead of others when he wasn't playing great, just like a number of others did earlier in the year. People on here put those other players in the favourites category. I do the same with Thomas

That's my view based on as I said a lot of reasons. And no I will not be elaborating further because I reckon I've covered it  enough over many threads.

That was my initial point at the very beginning. Claw argued that Thomas was getting games ahead of others because the others (read the kids) are obviously "duds" who werent' doing enough to get games. I wrote that Thomas along with a number of others who Claw deems as "duds" were getting games when we were playing crap while kids in the VFL were getting named in the best week after week got overlooked. That IMHO happened because Dimma was playing favourites. So I have said IMO Thomas was/is a favourite. I believe that and I stand by that opinion

Finally I am not taking offence to your opinion. All I am doing is debating a point with you. Isn't that what is supposed to happen on a forum? We don't agree (clearly). But you are taking the view that Thomas being subbed on Friday is justifiying he isn't a favourite. All I am saying is that based on what happened over the entire season he is.

Where did I say this was the only time?

Look I agree he had some average games but I just believe he wasn't the worst and there wasn't enough pressure from the lesser players for his spot. Yes there was some players in good form in the VFL but my point is that there was players much worse than Thomas who should of been gone first. I just disagree he is a favourite, maybe a little but not enough to save himself. When he came back from injury much to my surprise at the time he wasn't put straight into to team which is one of the reasons I don't think he is a favourite (Newman on the other hand which I know we agree on :thumbsup).

The debate is fine and we are both entitled to differing opinions but what isn't supposed to happen on a forum is a reply "We are entitled to different opinions aren't we?" as if I can't put mine forward in a way to protect your opinion from having people disagreeing with it.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #429 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

Look I agree he had some average games but I just believe he wasn't the worst and there wasn't enough pressure from the lesser players for his spot. Yes there was some players in good form in the VFL but my point is that there was players much worse than Thomas who should of been gone first. I just disagree he is a favourite, maybe a little but not enough to save himself. When he came back from injury much to my surprise at the time he wasn't put straight into to team which is one of the reasons I don't think he is a favourite (Newman on the other hand which I know we agree on :thumbsup).

The debate is fine and we are both entitled to differing opinions but what isn't supposed to happen on a forum is a reply "We are entitled to different opinions aren't we?" as if I can't put mine forward in a way to protect your opinion from having people disagreeing with it.

Fair point the highlighted bit

Though I thought the first time he missed injured (1 week) he came straight back in and the 2nd time he played just one game on the VFL. But stand corrected if I've got that wrong

Re the rest of your post = all good - take on board your comments  :thumbsup

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #430 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

Fair point the highlighted bit

Though I thought the first time he missed injured (1 week) he came straight back in and the 2nd time he played just one game on the VFL. But stand corrected if I've got that wrong

Re the rest of your post = all good - take on board your comments  :thumbsup

You could very well be right I just remember the surprise (maybe relief) of him not coming straight back in ;D

the claw

« Reply #431 on: August 11, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
na the real worry is a bloke who refuses to acknowledge when a player is better performed than his own favorites.

understand this. matt thomas has earnt his spot unlike most.  if you think thomas has underperfrmed so far you are deluded.yes he has his limitations and weaknesses. but if  players stood up in the first half of the yr thomas was one of em.
fair dinkum ive read some out and out driblle oin this forum and to be honest i expected if not better from you at least more objectivity.
oh and seeing as hes come off a shocker against essendon i will get in first and say yes hes had a howler.

for me we should aim for more well rounded players than thomas but he most certainly has outperformed most of the hacks.
id go as far to say he given us everything and more that we should have expected from a mature aged rookie selection. what the hell were you after gary ablett.

Nah what's a worry is people either refusing to read entire posts or latching onto only part of a post to try and back up their argument. Refuse to read any further debate between posters on the subject. And then for good measure throwing in a cheap little snipe because someone dares to disagree to with them.

And just on your last comment re Ablett. Er no I wasn't expecting Ablett but what I was expecting is that they would reward people on the rookie list who showed good form in the entire pre-season. The fact they promoted Thomas ahead of Miles was and still is a staggering decision. Why? because I think Miles offers more a lot more than Thomas both short term and more importantly long term. And despite the Clubs stubbornness to admit it; it was pretty clear pre-season 

So finally we will agree to disagree, nothing more nothing less
your a fine one to complain about people only reading what they want. pot kettle black. IVE SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE on a lot of points but you have clearly not bothered reading posts.
we sure as hell disagree on thomas and his contribution to the side rdpecially early on.
 you know you have on plenty of  occasions given me short shrift. im offended you can complain about not reading entire posts when you clearly dont yourself.and take your own cheap little snipes.
i can handle you not liking me as a poster i just wish you would come out and say it.

just for the record like most i wanted miles promoted asap. i also had no problem with thomas being promoted.  they both earnt a crack at it and im prepared to admit that unlike some eh.
so im not overly dirty on the club in this regard as both players were worthy upgrades.

the club obviously went with the bigger bodied more experienced player. which is exactly what they said they would do and recruited accordingly. so no there was nothing staggering about the thomas promotion he earnt it.  so did miles and he also should have been upgraded or at the worst upgraded a lot quicker than we did. ive never said otherwise and if you took the time to read a persons posts you would know that.
im staggered you cant even acknowledge thomas contribution in the early part of the season or fail to see it.

my stance on thomas is like a few on here.
didnt want him recruited in the first place and was very vocal about that,if you read peoples posts ypou would know that. but once they took him we had to give him a chance. 
i thought his preseason was good enough and he did enough to be promoted.  like most i wanted miles upgraded in front of thomas but i could see why thomas got the nod. i will say again where we differ i suppose is both should have been promoted and thomas did earn a crack at it. imo our handling of the lti list was very poor.

i also differ on the fact that while thomas has weaknesses as you rightly  point out. he was easily one of our better players in the first 10 games not that he played every game and not that every game was great.. and yes i agree in games he has turned the ball over far too much.but hes off set that to a good degree imo.

is matt thomas a long term keeper. no not imo but for now hes a better inside mid than just about every inside mid we have bar miles. so we will agree to disagree.  it also says a bit about our player stocks.

look im not too keen to get into a slanging match with the bloke who runs the site there can only be one winner in that sort of exchange.  so while you say we will have to agree to disagree we arent that far apart in reality with many points.

oh just to finish i dont rerad all posts on threads ive replied to the ones you have made to me. nothing more. so i dont get the anger at not reading the whole thread or your exchanges with other posters.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #432 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
The bald facts are that RFC use of the rookie list in 2014 has been an unparalleled success by anyone's estimation. No other club has had even half the number of games miles and Thomas have yielded,.....nice work tigers.........again  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
 :dancing we done it again

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Matt Thomas [merged]
« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
Tigers turn to trusty, tough Thomas
richmondfc.com.au
September 1, 2015

“He’s within that 25-28 players we want to have training and available to play," Hardwick said.

“It’s just going to be a matter of circumstance whether Matt plays on a week-to-week basis.  He knows that.

“But what I know is when I call upon Matt Thomas, he’s ready to go, which is what I love about him.”

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-09-01/tigers-turn-to-trusty-tough-thomas