Author Topic: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?  (Read 37635 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
Richmond have wanted the lebo for two/three years

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
Brett Anderson ‏@BrettAndersonIF twitter:

"It's funny how one little whisper can flip your Phantom Draft on its ear!! Grab @InsideFooty on Thursday to see my top 20!! #AFLDraft"

".... No but it effects No.9"

Bit more to it.

Any chance that Cameron McCarthy upset the top 10 plans?

You might be onto something...

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Does anyone subscribe to the iPad edition?

The draft special digital version is out today. The paper is out Thursday or Friday.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Rampstar

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
If its true that we want Salem and we miss out on him and no one slides IMHO we should  take Luke Dunstan. He is a much better player than many give him credit for. Very nice left foot kick, good at getting clean first disposal away from the middle, hands are good, knows how to kick a goal and has a very nice overall game and he brings leadership with him. Whilst many are saying Acres I would take Dunstan every single time over Acres. Infact for me Dunstan is a clear no 12 selection if we dont get Salem or no one drops. The Gerkin has it spot on correct with Dunstan.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
Agree Ramps. If no one slides I want Dunstan. I rate him at 6 just below Salem. Acres is the other. Freeman the last option that I'd be willing to take at 12.

Rampstar

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
Agree Ramps. If no one slides I want Dunstan. I rate him at 6 just below Salem. Acres is the other. Freeman the last option that I'd be willing to take at 12.

The reason I like Dunstan over Acres is that Dunstan looks more like a natural footballer than Acres. Acres may be very good but Dunstan should be a guaranteed 200 game player. Right height and size for a true midfielder whilst Acres seems more like a wing/half forward to me.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
If its true that we want Salem and we miss out on him and no one slides IMHO we should  take Luke Dunstan. He is a much better player than many give him credit for. Very nice left foot kick, good at getting clean first disposal away from the middle, hands are good, knows how to kick a goal and has a very nice overall game and he brings leadership with him. Whilst many are saying Acres I would take Dunstan every single time over Acres. Infact for me Dunstan is a clear no 12 selection if we dont get Salem or no one drops. The Gerkin has it spot on correct with Dunstan.

Its extremely true

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

The reason I like Dunstan over Acres is that Dunstan looks more like a natural footballer than Acres. Acres may be very good but Dunstan should be a guaranteed 200 game player. Right height and size for a true midfielder whilst Acres seems more like a wing/half forward to me.
Agree with that. Dunstan is really underrated for mine. As I said I have him at 6. Acres 8 and Freeman 10.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »

"@Ruley35 @InsideFooty If the Pies want both him [Salem] and Bonts they need to take CS first. Only have to worry about Bris taking MB. Dees won't."

"@JoelSchneids Crouch and Taylor [could slide to mid-late teens]. Salem top 10"

Guy Stanford ‏@spidershark3 - What pick is Blake Acres likely to go?

"Anywhere from 12 to 17."

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
Reviewed the tapes, my hopes would be for players likely in our range

1. Salem, pace , run and carry and sublime skills
2. Freeman, pace out of the blocks, loves to run and carry, skills not quite as sharp as Salem, would still be happy though
3. Dunstan, likely looking type, doesn't look to have the run and carry of the 2 above but a natural in and under tucky style player
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »
AFL.com.au's draft expert Callum Twomey and host Mark Macgugan discuss the top 10 and other whispers:

Audio: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-30/new-draft-countdown-podcast

1. GWS - Boyd

2. GWS - Kelly

3. St.K - Make or break pick in the draft. Billings (most likely) but could go for one of the SA pair Aish or Scharenberg (could slip because he hasn't played for a long while and didn't do the combine due to a foot injury)

4. WB - Aish (alternatives Scharenberg or Kade Kolodashnij) 

5. GC - Everyone saying Kolodashnij. Aish could slip through which the Suns would jump at.

6. Coll - could go a Freedman, Lennon or Bontempelli (might last to later on [presuming they mean the Pies' pick 10]). Another key pick regarding how the draft pans out.

7. Bris - could go for the 2nd best tall in McCarthy as there will be mids available at their 5 2nd round picks. Otherwise Lennon a possibility.

8. North - Father-Son Luke McDonald.

9. Melb - people only think Melbourne will go for Freedman here because he's the fastest mid in the draft and it'll complement the other mids they traded for.

11. WCE - hesistant to say Dom Sheed for sure as a top 10er may slip but Twomey expects the Eagles to grab him. Acres (the other WA kid) too high for this pick.

12. Rich - there will be a good player available for Richmond whatever happens above.

tony_montana

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »
tigs2011 any chance at all scharenberg could slip to us?

gerkin greg

« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
did we get schazburger? yes! well done FJ didnt see that coming  :clapping

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
tigs2011 any chance at all scharenberg could slip to us?
Unlikely unless other clubs above us are put off by him being sight unseen since his foot injury (ie. he didn't attend the draft combine).

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2013, 03:15:36 PM »
From Callum Twomey's live chat this arvo:

Callum Twomey:  Tigers would have to look at Christian Salem if there.

Comment From MJT: Love your work Cal. I've heard a lot of draft pundits suggesting Salem will be a Tiger. Could you list his best attributes?

Callum Twomey: great mark and kick, good awareness, strong, tough and a ball-winner. Improved his running too.

Comment From Eric: Callum looks like you have decided not to mention the tigers at all , numerous questions about tigers selection yet not 1 answer yet - Thanks mate

Callum Twomey: Eric, have said several times that Salem is in the mix there, as is Lennon if he gets that far. They are largely waiting to see who gets through, but a smokey might be in the mix, too!

Comment From Rob: Tigers keen on Zac Jones? Not surprised if Dimma has order another Vlaustin from the menu this week and Zac is as close as you can get.

Twomey didn't answer the question   

Comment From Matteo: hey Rob, Freeman, Dumont, Acres and Dunstan also fit the "Hardwick" model. Will be interesting which way they go. Hartung's speed won't go unnoticed either!

Comment From Shane: I think more clubs will have taken notice of Hardwicks model... Conca, Ellis and Vlastuin have all been value first year.

Comment From Brenton: CT who can make an impact in there first season?

Callum Twomey: Brenton, good question. Of the top bracket, it's probably Boyd, McDonald, Salem, Freeman, Lennon, Sheed who will be able to make an impact straight away.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/live-chat-draft-tips

Reading between the lines, it looks like Twomey thinks:

1. GWS - Boyd
2. GWS - Kelly
3. St K - Billings
4. WB - Aish
5. GC - Kade Kolodjashnij
6. Coll - Scharenberg
7. Bris - McCarthy
8. North - McDonald (F/S)
9. Melb - Freedman
10. Coll - Lennon
11. WCE - Sheed
12. Rich - Salem

If Lennon slipped to 12 then we'd consider him as he trained with us and we were very impressed.