Author Topic: Blues make $19m from pokies; Tigers $4m (Age)  (Read 2446 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Blues make $19m from pokies; Tigers $4m (Age)
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
Blues top po-kies ladder as punters lose $19m

Craig Butt and Richard Willingham
     The Age
    October 7, 2013

Carlton has finished top of the po-kies losses ladder with punters dropping $19 million at the club's four venues, as total losses at Victorian AFL club-owned venues reached more than $85 million last year.

But losses at football club-owned venues dropped 12.2 per cent from nearly $97 million in 2011-12, a larger decrease than the rest of the state which saw po-kies losses drop by 7.1 per cent to nearly $2.5 billion over that period.

Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn rounded out the top four of largest po-kies losses.

Analysis by The Age of punter losses at po-kies venues in the state that were active in the past financial year found that losses at the venues owned by nine Victorian clubs - North Melbourne is the only club without po-ker machines - totalled $85,102,284.

Victorian clubs own 18 gaming venues, with 1317 machines. There are 27,760 po-ker machines in Victoria, excluding the Ca-sino, at 523 venues. Carlton owns 300 machines in four venues, where punters lost $19.1 million last financial year. At Collingwood, punters lost $13.2 million, at Essendon it was $11.9 million and at Hawthorn $11.3 million.

Collingwood had the biggest drop in po-kies losses at its venues over the past year, with a 25.4 per cent decrease. The International Hotel in Lilydale, which was owned by the club and raked in $3.3 million from 80 machines in 2011-12, closed in July 2012.

Since July 2012 ATMs have been banned in po-kies venues by the state government.

Losses at football club venues accounted for 3 per cent of nearly $2.5 billion worth of po-kies losses across the state in 2012-13.

Anti-po-kies campaigner Tim Costello said AFL clubs needed to end their relationship with po-ker machines.

''I welcome the publishing of the real AFL ladder. AFL clubs boast of their community support and what they put back; this tells you what they are taking out in terms of the cost to families, businesses and crime in the community,'' Mr Costello said.

''I think the AFL clubs should bite the bullet. Forty per cent of that revenue comes from addicted people.''

Public health and gambling expert Associate Professor Samantha Thomas said sporting bodies needed to step up to help battle po-kies-related harm.

''Sports clubs have an incredibly influential role in communities and there are really good examples of clubs having positive impacts on the health of the community,'' Dr Thomas said.

''But when sports organisations align themselves with potentially harmful products, whether it be junk food or alcohol or gambling, then they need to engage to be part of the solution in tackling these important public health issues.''

Greens gambling and sports spokesman Richard Di Natale said despite the good work of the AFL in indigenous and multiculturalism and physical health, it had dropped the ball on po-kies.

Nearly half of the losses on po-ker machines at football club-owned venues were in three municipalities - Monash, Melton and Hobsons Bay - which between them house six venues.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/blues-top-po-kies-ladder-as-punters-lose-19m-20131006-2v2bu.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Blues make $19m from pokies; Tigers $4m (Age)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
Richmond should buy legal brothels

No less unethical

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Agreed and look at Carltank go hogwild on it, parasiting like there was no tomorrow. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
Lol norf
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
Nice blues taking away our pokies yet people want to deal with them

Screw them I say

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
Lol norf

Why  :huh

Because they have made the choice to not have pokie machines?
  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
Lol norf

Because they don't make money . Forgive me for being ignorant but how did Carltank steal our venue?

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
Lol norf

I resepct their stance on this

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »
Lol norf

Because they don't make money . Forgive me for being ignorant but how did Carltank steal our venue?

1/ N0rt -  They make no money from pokies because they have chosen not to have a pokies venue.

2/ Carlton - The Royal Oak which was previously controlled by the RFC under a license agreement with Pokies king Bruce Matthies (sp?) in now controlled by Carlotn. Matthies is long time Carlton person (former board member IIRC) and when our license expired he took bak all his venues and gave them to Carlton. This happened nearly 2 years ago

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
Lol norf

1/ N0rt -  They make no money from pokies because they have chosen not to have a pokies venue.

2/ Carlton - The Royal Oak which was previously controlled by the RFC under a license agreement with Pokies king Bruce Matthies (sp?) in now controlled by Carlotn. Matthies is long time Carlton person (former board member IIRC) and when our license expired he took bak all his venues and gave them to Carlton. This happened nearly 2 years ago

1.Because they can't afford a single machine

2. Absolute scum. Should be assassinated

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
Errr no....

They got rid of thier machines and have made the choice not have machines

Has absolutely nothing to do with what they can and cannot afford

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Errr no....

They got rid of thier machines and have made the choice not have machines

Has absolutely nothing to do with what they can and cannot afford

Can't take a Norf joke :p

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
Lol norf

I resepct their stance on this

I near what you are saying and can see the logic but why should pokies be any less legitimate form of revenue raising than alcohol, betting agencies, fast food, soft drink etc etc.
What about their apparel sponsors who make their jumpers, shorts, boots made in sweat shops in 3rd world countries?
Should they also demand all of their clothing is made in developed countries where children cannot get exploited?
I mean we could seriously pick anything and run with it - they choose pokies to their own detriment.
If I was a Roos member or player, it would annoy me - a club desperately run on the smell of an oily rag having this stance.

If I was the AFL, I would refuse stumping up cash payments when they come bleating for hand outs until they removed this ridiculous stance - other clubs are effectively end up paying for it - and ironically some small part of that money was probably raised as pokie revenue by other clubs!

Maybe a club like Collingwood or Hawthorn could actually justify it, having future proofed revenue generation in good times and bad with other more creative and sustainable revenue streams.

But North? Stuffin spare me the good corporate citizen crap
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
The stance is the result of James Brayshaws ego. Period. End of rant.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
one step in the right direction by North imo
Lots of people name their swords......