Author Topic: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft  (Read 15765 times)

tony_montana

Re: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
Garlett at 10?
Surely you are taking a fairly liberal amount of pee there?
Are you going to re-draft JON with their 2nd rounder?

nah Tambling

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
Was going for Mitch thorp tbh

dwaino

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
Snip! Insults in a foreign language won't be tolerated :banghead

Now back to the phantom draft!
greek provides the basis for half the english language.

No it doesn't. The majority of words in the English language are from Latin and the grammar and structure is almost entirely Germanic. English is a proto indo european language. The majority of Greek isn't even indo european.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
Kicked 50 in wafl as a 19 yoga

I am quite happy to step down from my Eagle duties if so voted by the community

No doubt Tony Mont would do a sterling job

No Bents you own it. Just don't take Matt Thomas for your next selection then we will know you're taking the pee.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »
I think you all find a shyteload of English original from greek

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
Snip! Insults in a foreign language won't be tolerated :banghead

Now back to the phantom draft!
greek provides the basis for half the english language.

No it doesn't. The majority of words in the English language are from Latin and the grammar and structure is almost entirely Germanic. English is a proto indo european language. The majority of Greek isn't even indo european.

Check out the Big Brain on Braaad!  ;D

Bent's I think you will find that dwaino is correct. Unless you are talking about the medical dictionary. You will find a heap of Greek derivatives in there. I reckon French derivatives are up there and possibly even ahead of the Greeks in General english.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
Can we actually stick to the topic which is the Phantom draft rather lessons in languages

As I psoted earlier next up is Andyy with Carton's pick 13

If we don't hear from Andyy in the next couple of hours we'll make the selection on his behalf to keep this draft moving
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
Can we actually stick to the topic which is the Phantom draft rather lessons in languages

As I psoted earlier next up is Andyy with Carton's pick 13

If we don't hear from Andyy in the next couple of hours we'll make the selection on his behalf to keep this draft moving

I'm rarin' to go WP. Just give the word as I'm itching to take my pick 14.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
Carlton - Cameron McCarthy

Bit of a strange choice given the talent still available (IE Lennon etc), but Carltank has been in obvious need of KPF's for years and I intend to address this in the draft. Given the lack of genuinely talented KPF's this year I'll use the first pick on McCarthy and hope to jag a midfielder or two for development in later rounds.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
CAMERON MCCARTHY

Height: 195cm
Weight: 89kg
Team/Club: WA/South Fremantle
Position: Half Forward
Player Comparison: Justin Westhoff
Draft Range: 20-40

Cameron McCarthy is an interesting story. Only relatively new to football, McCarthy starting taking footy seriously this year and in that period announced himself as a serious natural talent, who’s marking capabilities, vertical leap, athleticism, nous below his knees and an incredible sound set shot and deadly kick for goal were traits associated with all the makings of an AFL star. McCarthy came from the clouds to impress on the big stage, and in doing so kicked that famous winning goal after the final siren, and the week later unfortunately fractured his leg just below his knee and dislocated his ankle, after landing awkwardly in a marking contest. However, the injury will not do his draft chances much harm, with an impressive championships already under his belt, strong performances as Colts level in WA, All Australian slection and to top it off, will also be ready and fit for the draft combine in November. McCarthy stands out on field, and that’s not because of his long mop of hair that requires a headband, he demands the ball, he’s got some pace off the mark, he brings others into the game, and can be relied upon to kick multiple goals. He’s a beautiful size for the modern day game, and brings with him a bit of x-factor and a little bit of excitement in his game. McCarthy’s pressure football  is also a big tick in the recruiting handbook; he runs, chases and harasses the opposition, another trait rare for big blokes, but he does it with ease, and puts pressure on the ball carrier which was very impressive to watch.

“When he was injured and lying on the table after the game, he was asking when he would be able to get back and play football. That’s testament to the boy he is. He’s really blossomed in the WA program and we’re really pleased with the way he’s progressed.”

- Raff Guadagnino, Western Australia’s talent manager.

Strengths

Huge amount of natural ability, contested marking, brilliant in the air, very good above his head and below his knees, sound kicking technique on goal, brilliant mark, rarely misses from a set shot, super athletic and has the ability to dominate games. Showed ability to be calm under pressure when he kicked for goal after the siren to hand WA the win against Vic County. Composed, and knows his strengths, will fly at anything, can pick the ball off the ground and snap over his shoulder, adds x-factor to a forward line.

Weaknesses

Still very much an unknown prospect is McCarthy. He only started taking his football seriously this year, and his natural ability and athetlicism is a fantastic base considering he’s never done a full preseason or any weight training. Still needs to learn his running patterns and leading in the forward 50, but considering he’s got a huge leap, great hands, is clean at ground level and knows how to finish on goal there is a huge amount of upside, and a prospect who could dominate the league in a few years time.

National Championships Stats

Round 2 – 16 disposals, 8 marks and 2 goals.
Round 4 - 12 disposals 3 marks and goals
Averaged 2.4 goals and 5 marks a game in the National Championships
Honours

All Australian 2013

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-cameron-mccarthy/

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
Ugly kid

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »
Mission 1:

Shave his head.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
Update:

1. Greater Western Sydney - Tom Boyd
2. Greater Western Sydney - James Aish
3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly
4. Western Bulldogs - Christian Salem
5. Gold Coast - Matthew Scharenberg
6. Collingwood - Jack Billings
7. Brisbane - Dom Sheed
8. North Melbourne - Luke McDonald (F/S)
9. Melbourne - Marcus Bontempelli
10. Collingwood - Kade Kolodnashnij
11. West Coast - Dayle Garlett
12. Richmond - Nathan Freeman
13. Carlton - Cameron McCarthy

Next 3:

14. Greater Western Sydney - tiga
15. Sydney - Smokey
16. Geelong - tiga
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »
Selection #14 - Ben Lennon - Northern Knights

Position:Medium forward
Height:188cm
Weight:77kg
Born:5/7/95
Home club:Northern Knights

The GWS Giants are absolutely wrapt that Ben made it to selection 14. He is a very athletic medium forward with an elite kick and thrives on contested footy.
He will compliment our key forwards and may also develop into a very potent attacking midfielder.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
Sydney - Selection #15 - Lewis Taylor

Swans have plenty of height and strength so are now looking to bolster their pace and midfield:

Club: Geelong Falcons
D.O.B.: 17.2.1995
Height: 173cm
Weight: 73kg

What you get with Lewis Taylor, is the ultimate package – barring his height! Taylor’s football is reminisce of Brent Harvey, in that Taylor wins a truck load of the ball on the inside, yet is powerful, quick and classy enough to break away from opponents, dart off and use the ball truly by foot. He is a perfectly balanced midfielder who covers the ground well and penetrates with his kick. Taylor has a terrific sidestep, an knows how to read the play and quite often plays the games on his own terms. A prolific ball winner who will inject class, speed and hardness into any side, Taylor is AFL ready to go in 2014. The other factor for Taylor, is that Michael Turner has that he Taylor is the best player to have ever come out of the Geelong Falcons in 15 years. The Swans could do with an injection of speed into what is otherwise a one-paced midfield, and Taylor offers the ability to play an inside and outside role and has the aerobic capacity to become a focal point of the Sydney midfield.