Author Topic: Peggy O'Neal on 3AW / Tigers must make finals in 2014 or year will be a failure  (Read 3018 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AUDIO: Richmond president Peggy O'Neal on 3AW Sports Today.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-08/peggy-oneal-on-3aw

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond president Peggy O'Neal says Tigers must make finals in 2014 or year will be a failure

Staff writer
    Herald Sun
    November 08, 2013 3:06PM

RICHMOND president Peggy O'Neal says the Tigers must make the finals in 2014.

Speaking on Melbourne radio, O'Neal, who last month was elected the AFL's first female president, said the Tigers needed to continue the momentum gained from their 2013 season.

"We got a taste of finals and we all liked it," O'Neal told 3AW.

"I would hope that we play successive finals for the first time since the mid-70s.

"I think a pass mark is we have to play finals, but we'd like to do a little bit better than that.

"While we did play a final this year, we all hoped that we would win that and go a little bit deeper into the finals campaign. So, I think a pass mark is we have to get into finals again, and we have to win one."

Richmond finished the home and away season fifth and entered its elimination final against Carlton a warm favourite.

The Tigers led comfortably early in the second half before the Blues stormed back into the contest, ending Richmond's season.

It was a disappointing finish for Damien Hardwick's men, but the season was a big improvement on past years.

"No doubt things have improved greatly in the last five years ... There's been a lot of hard work to get us to where we are now," O'Neal said.

"The important thing for us is not to slip backwards, to not let up at all on the discipline that we've brought financially, and in trying to make good decisions.

"It's important that we continue to make intelligent, prudent, reasonable decisions and continue to edge forward."

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/richmond-president-peggy-oneal-says-tigers-must-make-finals-in-2014-or-year-will-be-a-failure/story-e6frf3e3-1226755948592#ixzz2k1sFFANj

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Go Pegga. Love her
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
Staff Writer my personal favourite current AFL writer

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Pretty impressive is peg, don't underestimate her :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'm not sure its that wise to put the pressure on the team this far out.  A little more vague "we would like to make finals and hope to go further" might be better.  She could end up having a lot of egg on her face if we get 3 or 4 key injuries and don't make the 8.  Would be most unfortunate if she felt she was forced to "act" because of her earlier comments.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
She said we want too make the finals and win one , not use that's setting the bleedin bar too high, any lower and it would be cause for concern .  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AUDIO: Richmond president Peggy O'Neal on 3AW Sports Today.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-08/peggy-oneal-on-3aw

* She says she is more your behind the scenes president as she doesn't have a media profile. Her style is more collaborative and supportive of management and allow them to do their job.

* Important for us not to slip backwatds; no let up on the financial discipline; continue to make intelligent, prudent and reasonable decisions and continue to move forward.

* Keen to keep Marks Williams and personally we hate to see him go. He has a two year contract and it's a management (Gale and Richardson) issue to deal with.

* Confirmed the membership target for 2014 is 75,000.

* We have one of the proportionally lowest female membership bases compared to other big clubs. Female membership hasn't kept up with the growth of overall membership. The Board has sent the membership dept. away and investigate and then report back on whether there are any particular reasons for this or if it is just the way things are.

* Healy asked what type of contract is Benny Gale on as there are whispers going around that if Demetriou retires then Gale will be the one looked at to replace him. Peggy answered that personal contract details are confidential and that we hope Benny Gale is with Richmond for a very long time.

* Pass mark for 2014 is to make the finals and win at least one of them.

* She hates Carlton the most  ;D.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think she is on the money in saying she will be a behind the scenes president.
Rather than just be collaborative, it would be nice to hear when she believes there is an opportunity for her to make an impression rather than just support.
At Hawthorn each board member must play a role in bringing something to the club - revenue raising, improving resource etc. It would be good to know what she can do.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
It would be good to know what she can do.
Why don't you look at what she has already brought to the club during the last 8 years of being a board member. She's been very active in many roles.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think she is on the money in saying she will be a behind the scenes president.
Rather than just be collaborative, it would be nice to hear when she believes there is an opportunity for her to make an impression rather than just support.
At Hawthorn each board member must play a role in bringing something to the club - revenue raising, improving resource etc. It would be good to know what she can do.

a quality leader makes certain that everyone within the org is performing in their role. That is their role ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

"At Hawthorn"??  :-\ It is the same at all Clubs, they all do it.

As President Peggy will sit on ALL sub-comittees within the Club

But prior to being elected President as per the RFC web-site she was/is:

- chair of the Risk and Compliance Sub-Committee and a member of the Finance Sub-Committee. Peggy is also chair of the Tigers in Community Foundation Limited

Since joining the board and outside what's listed above she has also been heavily involved in:

- establishing the Club's "Corporate Governance Charter" under which it operates
- Jack Dyer Fondation
- Fundraising Sub-Committee

She's done alot and bought a lot to the table, that's a directors role

a quality leader makes certain that everyone within the org is performing in their role. That is their role ::)

Agree

That's why she will be very good

And what's just as important she's not the type that will need to trumpet from the stands what she is doing unlike a vouple of other AFL presidents  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »

Speaking on Melbourne radio, O'Neal, who last month was elected the AFL's first female president, said the Tigers needed to continue the momentum gained from their 2013 season.

"We got a taste of finals and we all liked it," O'Neal told 3AW.

"I would hope that we play successive finals for the first time since the mid-70s.

"I think a pass mark is we have to play finals, but we'd like to do a little bit better than that.

"While we did play a final this year, we all hoped that we would win that and go a little bit deeper into the finals campaign. So, I think a pass mark is we have to get into finals again, and we have to win one."

GALLERY: PRE-SEASON RETURN

Richmond finished the home and away season fifth and entered its elimination final against Carlton a warm favourite.

The Tigers led comfortably early in the second half before the Blues stormed back into the contest, ending Richmond's season.

It was a disappointing finish for Damien Hardwick's men, but the season was a big improvement on past years.

DRAFT REWIND: Saint Nick heads Class of 2000

"No doubt things have improved greatly in the last five years ... There's been a lot of hard work to get us to where we are now," O'Neal said.

"The important thing for us is not to slip backwards, to not let up at all on the discipline that we've brought financially, and in trying to make good decisions.

"It's important that we continue to make intelligent, prudent, reasonable decisions and continue to edge forward."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-president-peggy-oneal-says-tigers-must-make-finals-in-2014-or-year-will-be-a-failure/story-fni5f9jb-1226755948592
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
NO EXCUSES..... ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon she must read OER and bookmark your posts WAT!   ;D