Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 228074 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
Should have been rewarded with a couple brilliant tackles too

Thought the umpires lost the plot in the last qtr. His tackle on Grimes was as clear as holding the ball as you will see. Then we get a square up for stacks on in the goal square 1 minute later. Ump knew he made a blue. Then we got a couple of cheap frees and then Melbourne got 2-4 real soft ones.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Just watched some of Lennon's highlights.

Why couldn't all players have the desire and work rate. It's not a difficult thing to try your guts out...
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Should have been rewarded with a couple brilliant tackles too

Thought the umpires lost the plot in the last qtr. His tackle on Grimes was as clear as holding the ball as you will see. Then we get a square up for stacks on in the goal square 1 minute later. Ump knew he made a blue. Then we got a couple of cheap frees and then Melbourne got 2-4 real soft ones.

& Wayne Campbell wonders why they get booed when knocked out.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
Good start. Hopefully follows it up.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
This kid must be so torn. Leave now and have a great career. Stay and get paid heaps to do SFA.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2014, 12:55:42 PM »
We will ruin him. Lets face it only a matter of time
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »
Why was he the sub? Edwards did really well as the sub last week, why wouldn't you do that again? Ben should have started on the ground. Dimma doesn't seem to have much faith in any of the young kids. 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
Why was he the sub? Edwards did really well as the sub last week, why wouldn't you do that again? Ben should have started on the ground. Dimma doesn't seem to have much faith in any of the young kids.

You answered your own question with your last sentence big tone  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
The Tackle: Mark Robinson spends a day with Ben Lennon’s family as he makes his Richmond debut
Herald-Sun
 May 19, 2014 4:44PM

DEBUT games are not only for the player.

While Ben Lennon, the 18-year-old Tiger, waited nervously on the subs bench, his family waited nervously in the MCG grandstands for the moment young Ben had been dreaming of for a very long time.

The whole family was there — dad Stephen, 50, mum Lesley 48, and sisters Kara 24, and Grace 22.

Grace, the budding professional golfer, and Kara, sporting an AFL-issue picture of Ben on her jacket, couldn’t stop smiling. “He gave it to me,” Kara said with a smile.

The pair told stories about kicking the footy with their younger brother in the backyard of their Macleod home and although they said that they always believed he would play AFL, with these two you couldn’t not believe them.

They were beaming for their brother.

So were mum and dad.

Lesley found out on Thursday Ben was playing and she fired off text messages to the family. “He’s playing! X” it read. Kara responded with “Yay.’’

Lesley said she tried to keep it low-key.

“I tried to keep the week as normal as possible,’’ he said. “It isn’t normal, but it could get you ahead of yourself.

“This morning was pretty quiet. He got up before Steve and I did, got himself some breakfast and then he went back upstairs for some quiet time.

“We just let him do his own thing and he kept to himself. We didn’t want to talk too much about football.’’

The Lennon family was guest of the Tigers at the official president’s lunch. Earlier, they were in the rooms for the jumper presentation.

Originally, triple Brownlow Medallist Ian Stewart had the honours, but he declined, leaving former Tigers player Graeme Bond to fulfil the deed.

“What he had to say was really emotional, just wonderful words, just to remember the day, remember that you’re representing yourself and the club and the family, and that after today your life will be different,’’ she said.

For Lesley, it was too. “There were tears,’’ she said. To see her son on the rooms, being welcomed to the team, had her heart swelling.

“I’m really, really proud. It hasn’t been easy and unless you have lived with someone going through that, you don’t really know of the sacrifices they have to make, especially at such a young age.

“I know it won’t be an easy ride, there will be some ups and downs, and he knows he has a close family and that when there’s down we’ll be there to pick him up, and will enjoy the highs with him.

“We’re just happy he’s got this far and we’re happy he’s enjoying the journey.’’

It was half-time and with the Tigers leading by three points, Lesley predicted an early substitution in the third quarter. She was right. “And I’m thinking they will play him up forward.’’ Right again.

Wearing No. 35, Ben replaced ruckman Shaun Hampson and quickly took a contested mark and kicked a goal with his first kick from close to the 50m mark. He was swamped by his teammates.

In a difficult game, he would finish with eight touches, a second goal in the final quarter, a point and three marks. It was a debut of much promise.

As the Tigers trudged from the ground and the Melbourne theme song echoed through the grandstands, Steve and Lesley could not take their eyes off their boy.

They were pleased for their son, but disappointed for the team, which was an awkward feeling.

Steve, who was a Carlton supporter, had the Tigers scarf around the neck.

“I’m very proud of him,’’ he said. “Just to be on the ground is special enough but to get a kick and goal first up was unbelievable really.’’

How did you react?

Lesley: “I screamed, I didn’t hold it back.”

Steve: “It’s disappointing they didn’t win the game.”

Dad offered a journey of memories. “To chart his progress, and there’s lot of other kids out there for Melbourne as well ... they’ve all grown up together, they’ve played in rep sides together and to think back three years ago and they were playing under-16s,’’ he said.

“And now they’re on the MCG today in front of 60,000 people ... it’s unbelievable.’’

There were moments for everyone and dad was the same as mum. “How proud can you be when you have a son playing on the MCG? He’s worked hard to get where he is, he’s a wonderful kid and we’re immensely proud of him,’’ he said.

With that, they were off to the rooms, just like they have done since Ben started playing at age six.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/the-tackle-mark-robinson-spends-a-day-with-ben-lennons-family-as-he-makes-his-richmond-debut/story-fnect155-1226921852965

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »
I wonder why Stewie knocked back the chance to hand him his jumper? No disrespect to Graeme bond but a triple Brownlow medallist would have been super special.

Rampstar

« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
I wonder why Stewie knocked back the chance to hand him his jumper? No disrespect to Graeme bond but a triple Brownlow medallist would have been super special.

Bondie gave a great speech during the jumper presentation.  :clapping

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
Because it's not the same team and he is embarrassed to be in the same room as a bunch a limpwristed Pansy's that sit when they pee.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2014, 06:05:50 PM »
How did we think game number two went.

Personally his disposal was poor, he looked a bit slow and paddled the ball softly a few times.

And no I'm not writing him off, he can play and will be a good player for us

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Set up our first couple of goals Chucky. Just oozes class. We need to get game time into him.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »
Set up our first couple of goals Chucky. Just oozes class. We need to get game time into him.

Agree