Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 228096 times)

Jackstar 1960

Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #1485 on: August 31, 2016, 10:51:05 PM »
Mind boggiling some supporters write off a 1st round draft pick after 3 years whilst we see Astbury and Grigg get contracts and whilst we draft in moneyball recycled fringe players like Moore, Townshend etc.

Madness.

Andrew Moore was a first round draft pick
Can't play in my opinion

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #1486 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:37 PM »
No, he doesn't want to be there, don't twist it.  He wants out, he has shown sweet FA, smells like a lack of commitment to the cause to me, stuff him off, get someone in who wants to be there and get the best return we can.  I wish him well in his future endeavors except when they involve playing against us.

Correct

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1487 on: August 31, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
Plenty of natural footballers don't make it because they simply don't work hard enough. Lennon could make it if his new team can get the best out of him but only if he wants it......so far he expects it rather than earning it. Good luck to the kid and look forward to what we get for him.

good to see someone on here actually gets it

what can I say.  Perhaps another club will give him his birthright and we will just have to miss out on his potential.  It is a shame but what does the club have to do? Beg?
No, not at all. Just play him and develop him in the firsts. Look at Rioli. He wasn't even ready for senior football and played practically every game. He improved heaps because of that. Lennon was ignored by playing hacks that have now been delisted and then played in the twos in the f***ing backline. Ridiculous. Dropped at every opportunity when BEllis and co were given game after game. I just don't blame him for looking for better opportunities elsewhere. We just miss out on a potential jet.

you really want to compare Rioli's efforts to Lennons? Even when he looked out of his depth Rioli busted his gut. Can you say the same about Lennon?
In his first year Lennon was great. A beautiful mark and goal from his first kick and mark against the Demons. He's not the same sort of player as Rioli. He is a sublime talent, a magnificent kick. A great mark for his size. He offers very different skill sets to Rioli. Rioli was told that he was only getting a game because they needed someone to chase the defenders - Hardwick told this to us in June. So you would expect him to bust gut if that's all he was expected to do.
nah, i expect every player to bust a gut, thats what brings success.
in modern professional sport, you cannot make it on talent alone

It seems that Rioli understands this.

not sure if lennon does

"Effort is non-negotiable. It's hard for me to interact with players who don't give themselves completely. The weak don't interest me." - Diego Simeone.

A common theme amongst successful sporting coaches, but you seem to disagree with it?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1488 on: August 31, 2016, 11:03:42 PM »
No, he doesn't want to be there, don't twist it.  He wants out, he has shown sweet FA, smells like a lack of commitment to the cause to me, stuff him off, get someone in who wants to be there and get the best return we can.  I wish him well in his future endeavors except when they involve playing against us.
Why doesn't he want to be there? Rated number 4 by our recruiters in his draft year. Hardly given a chance. Delisted hacks chosen to play ahead of him. Anyone of similar ilk would want out.
GALLING PART WAS THEY STATED THE NEED FOR BIG INSIDE MIDS AND HAVE SAID SO FOR YEARS SINCE. YET LOOK AT THE TYPES THEY HAVE TAKEN.
LENNON WAS NEVER A TOP 4 SELECTION JUST SHOWS HOW DUMB OUR RECRUITERS ARE.
Apologies for caps.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1489 on: August 31, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Plenty of natural footballers don't make it because they simply don't work hard enough. Lennon could make it if his new team can get the best out of him but only if he wants it......so far he expects it rather than earning it. Good luck to the kid and look forward to what we get for him.

good to see someone on here actually gets it

what can I say.  Perhaps another club will give him his birthright and we will just have to miss out on his potential.  It is a shame but what does the club have to do? Beg?
No, not at all. Just play him and develop him in the firsts. Look at Rioli. He wasn't even ready for senior football and played practically every game. He improved heaps because of that. Lennon was ignored by playing hacks that have now been delisted and then played in the twos in the f***ing backline. Ridiculous. Dropped at every opportunity when BEllis and co were given game after game. I just don't blame him for looking for better opportunities elsewhere. We just miss out on a potential jet.

you really want to compare Rioli's efforts to Lennons? Even when he looked out of his depth Rioli busted his gut. Can you say the same about Lennon?
In his first year Lennon was great. A beautiful mark and goal from his first kick and mark against the Demons. He's not the same sort of player as Rioli. He is a sublime talent, a magnificent kick. A great mark for his size. He offers very different skill sets to Rioli. Rioli was told that he was only getting a game because they needed someone to chase the defenders - Hardwick told this to us in June. So you would expect him to bust gut if that's all he was expected to do.
nah, i expect every player to bust a gut, thats what brings success.
in modern professional sport, you cannot make it on talent alone

It seems that Rioli understands this.

not sure if lennon does

"Effort is non-negotiable. It's hard for me to interact with players who don't give themselves completely. The weak don't interest me." - Diego Simeone.

A common theme amongst successful sporting coaches, but you seem to disagree with it?
No I don't. You seem to not understand that there are different ways to bust a gut. Some do it chasing players, while others do it by running to the right parts of the ground looking to be hit with a pass. Lennon does the second type and little of the first. Rioli does the first and very little of the second. Does that make sense?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1490 on: August 31, 2016, 11:24:24 PM »
lol lennon stands around a lot spectating like hampson and vickery.

He uses his natural ability to read the the play to get into the right spots if it doesant take too much effort. he would rather watch an opponent run away with the ball and hope there is turnover down the field and he can get a an easy kick on the rebound than chase and pressure that opponent.

he would rather sit back and watch his team mate outnumbered at the contest and hope he can get a cheap possession rather than work hard to get to the contest and influence it.

How do you think lennon would fit into Diego's view of things. Is he a player that gives his all?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1491 on: August 31, 2016, 11:27:32 PM »

He uses his natural ability to read the the play to get into the right spots if it doesant take too much effort. he would rather watch an opponent run away with the ball and hope there is turnover down the field and he can get a an easy kick on the rebound than chase and pressure that opponent.

he would rather sit back and watch his team mate outnumbered at the contest and hope he can get a cheap possession rather than work hard to get to the contest and influence it.

How do you think lennon would fit into Diego's view of things. Is he a player that gives his all?
You've seen him play how many times? I'm ignoring this year since he had glandular fever, shoulder surgery, multiple concussions and an ankle injury. The past two years he's shown more than what you have stated, sorry.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1492 on: September 01, 2016, 04:17:11 AM »
Lennon’s manager Anthony McConville confirmed to the Herald Sun the 21-year-old had asked for a trade.

“(Lennon) wants a fresh start. He has spoken to Damien today and he rang me earlier to let me know about the discussion,’’ McConville said.

“We will have those conversations with other clubs about what is available.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-lennon-has-requested-a-trade-out-of-richmond-after-three-seasons-at-the-club/news-story/7e573ba862668b99ae62ff9d1c707670

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1493 on: September 01, 2016, 06:07:21 AM »
I believe Hardwick's attitude rightly or wrongly has led to this request. Need to make most of this request but have absolutely no confidence that they will.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1494 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:56 AM »
Why doesn't he want to be there? Rated number 4 by our recruiters in his draft year. Hardly given a chance. Delisted hacks chosen to play ahead of him. Anyone of similar ilk would want out.
GALLING PART WAS THEY STATED THE NEED FOR BIG INSIDE MIDS AND HAVE SAID SO FOR YEARS SINCE. YET LOOK AT THE TYPES THEY HAVE TAKEN.
LENNON WAS NEVER A TOP 4 SELECTION JUST SHOWS HOW DUMB OUR RECRUITERS ARE.
Apologies for caps.
100%

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1495 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »

You've seen him play how many times? I'm ignoring this year since he had glandular fever, shoulder surgery, multiple concussions and an ankle injury. The past two years he's shown more than what you have stated, sorry.

How do any of those things affect effort and application? they affect output, but not desire to work hard. actually they should affect that. they should have you working harder to overcome them.

even the games he showed something last year, it was only his natural talent that stood out. his effort and application was passable at the very best.

Oh i can hear the cries now, he had lost interest because he was so hard by this year.

wel tell me, if you want to get to another club, whats the best way to attract attention.

standing around with your hands on your hips like Hampson, telegraphing to the world you have given up, or giving it everything you have got?

Still the question remains unanswered
"How do you think lennon would fit into Diego's view of things. Is he a player that gives his all?"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1496 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:45 AM »

How do any of those things affect effort and application? they affect output, but not desire to work hard. actually they should affect that. they should have you working harder to overcome them.

even the games he showed something last year, it was only his natural talent that stood out. his effort and application was passable at the very best.

Oh i can hear the cries now, he had lost interest because he was so hard by this year.

wel tell me, if you want to get to another club, whats the best way to attract attention.

standing around with your hands on your hips like Hampson, telegraphing to the world you have given up, or giving it everything you have got?

Still the question remains unanswered
"How do you think lennon would fit into Diego's view of things. Is he a player that gives his all?"
I would say 99% of our list do not fit into Diego's views of things. They haven't for years. Our mids don't work anywhere near as hard as the top teams especially running back and putting in defensive efforts.

Yet you target a junior and criticise his efforts. I don't think that's fair. His leaders should be showing him by example. That is why I don't blame him.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1497 on: September 01, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
HARDWICK DOES NOT LET HIM PLAY HIS NATURAL GAME!

DEfensive side? please what about Grigg's defensive side?

Hardwick is a disgrace!

Worst coach with a better list!

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1498 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
Rance shows how to go about when everything else is poo.

Cotchin, even when playing poor has a dip.

Martin has improved his work rate and application every year.

Miles never stops trying.

Even Jack at his worst doesn't just stand by watching a team mate outnumbered at the contest.

Maric's greatest asset, when fit, was his willingness for the contest.

So there are some that lead by example

but in a round a bout way who have admitted his attitude and application isnt up scratch.

Unlike you, i don't pick one or two out of the many that are the same and give them dispensation.

Each and every one of them is responsible for the things they can control. Application and work rate is the one thing that every one can control.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1499 on: September 01, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
 :lol @ hardwick not allowing him to be an unaccountable prima dona being the problem