Author Topic: Nathan Gordon [merged]  (Read 22525 times)

the claw

Re: Pick 50: Nathan Gordon
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »
Was on Essendon's radar at 55 and Roosy wanted him at 57

Unlucky boys  ;D
thats hilarious jayden hunt was clearly a special at 57.  and fantasia at essendon well there was some talk he was going there before the draft, these clubs showwed some balls and didnt take em early.

gerkin greg

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »
Hunt and fantasia would have been there in the rookie draft

If they had balls they should have waited

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
Hunt and fantasia would have been there in the rookie draft

If they had balls they should have waited
Exactly. Who the hell is Hunt? But apparently that's a master stroke taking him National Draft. Like the plethora of other genius moves the Dees have made at the draft table.  :lol

gerkin greg

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
Fantasia is about 60kgs wringing wet so I can see why some think the Dons have a steal at pick 55

My god, imaging taking a Robbie Hicks type with a 3rd rounder sheesh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:13 AM »
BF's pre-draft profiles on Gordon:

Gordon is a former Sydney Swan rookie who has hit back this season and has been excellent in the SANFL. He’s dominated through the midfield and up forward at various stages this season. Up forward he’s presented as a strong marking target with his work 1v1, in the air and on the lead excellent. He’s also got above average ability at ground level for his height and has been a solid goalkicking threat. While through the midfield he’s winning a combination of his own ball and uncontested ball which is pleasing. He’s a good size and with the improvement he has shown that he can be someone who could play as a rotational midfielder who can also do damage up forward he’s a pretty natural fit for a team looking for an immediate player.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

Had a really good year coming back from Swans and showed he is up to another go. His best is good enough to see him go as a HF type who can role into the middle but I still think based on what I saw some improvement in defensive side is warranted.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2013-phantom-draft.1039188/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
Gordon has the goods
richmondfc.com.au 
December 3, 2013

South Australian State Talent Manager Brenton Phillips believes new Richmond recruit Nathan Gordon is well-equipped to succeed in his second crack at AFL football.

“He’s an accumulator of possessions and it’s pretty hard to teach people how to accumulate possessions.  He’s been able to do that quite nicely over the course of the year.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-03/gordon-has-the-goods

the claw

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
Mature recruits dont necessarily have to slot straight in. They can develop further in the twos or just increase competition for spots. It might take an injury or form slump to a regular player for Gordon to get his chance, but that doesnt mean he's been a wasted pick.
Its not Round 1 or fail for mature recruits.

Really?????? Just like Podsiadly and old mate from Freo, honestly, ask yourself why we would recruit a player of 23 years old if he wasn't going to be a walk up start. No development or backup player crap. He either plays round one and more or we have wasted a pick IMO.

Say Foley's form has been average for the first three rounds and he gets dropped for Gordon who has performed well for RFC 2s. Gordon comes in plays his role well and keeps his spot for the remainder of the year, in what is a strong and competitive midfield. You believe that irrespective of this he is already a wasted pick because he didnt play round 1, right? If so, we'l agree to disagree.
If not, then admit that 'round 1 or fail' is a stupid concept and it's clearly not that black and white.
oh cmon will. why so literal.

of course we have taken him because hes ready to play. weather thats rnd 1 or rnd 5 hes expected to make an impact and perform a role. big bodied mature and pick 50 which happened to be our second pick. take the literal nonsense out of it and he is expected to play and make a decent contribution. why are we already making excuses for these blokes.

the claw

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »
still lol at the thread. there is no excuses on the planet that can excuse us  taking just one 18 yr old for the entire trade and nd period.   seems everyone wants to pretend this did not happen.

its a differing opinion to the defenders of all things richmond,  but with just picks 12 50 and 66,  at the very least one of of 50 or 66 should have been used on a kid logically pick 50 imo. if it was me id have used both 50 and 66 on kids and taken one of the mature blokes at pick 78. i can say this because im absolutely certain both  would have been available here.

im going to say it one more time as a player and a state league pick i have no problem with either gordon or or lloyd. im all for taking mature players to fill needs its where we take em and how we balance out our picks thats important.  i remain adamant though  both  gordon and lloyd would have been available later nd  or in the rookie draft,  and there was kids at 18 with plenty of potential still there at 18. 

i still believe our footy dept still regularly takes players way too early. we clearly had a lot of mature players in our sights but why at pick 50.  apparently every mature player we took was about to be snaffled up its hilarious, but what actually transpired suggests overwhelmingly otherwise.

apart from us only the wb and i say only the western bulldogs took a mature player with a live nd pick inside the top 50. they took a bloke who actually banged the door down whos skills set is something most of our players dream about. he warranted pick 42.  no other club apart from the rfc was interested in taking a mature player with a live pick  in the nd.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
'No complaints from me' - The Snore post draft.

:lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
Personally I'd prefer them to take best available and not discriminate against age.  ::)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
Personally I'd prefer them to take best available and not discriminate against age.  ::)
I second that!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »
still lol at the thread. there is no excuses on the planet that can excuse us  taking just one 18 yr old for the entire trade and nd period.   seems everyone wants to pretend this did not happen.

I don't think so, most people probably agree with you on this point, I do.

However most people get on with life, as individuals supporting a sport side the only recourse we have is not supporting the club and not buying memberships.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »

its a differing opinion to the defenders of all things richmond,  but with just picks 12 50 and 66,  at the very least one of of 50 or 66 should have been used on a kid logically pick 50 imo. if it was me id have used both 50 and 66 on kids and taken one of the mature blokes at pick 78. i can say this because im absolutely certain both  would have been available here.

im going to say it one more time as a player and a state league pick i have no problem with either gordon or or lloyd. im all for taking mature players to fill needs its where we take em and how we balance out our picks thats important.  i remain adamant though  both  gordon and lloyd would have been available later nd  or in the rookie draft,  and there was kids at 18 with plenty of potential still there at 18. 

i still believe our footy dept still regularly takes players way too early. we clearly had a lot of mature players in our sights but why at pick 50.  apparently every mature player we took was about to be snaffled up its hilarious, but what actually transpired suggests overwhelmingly otherwise.

apart from us only the wb and i say only the western bulldogs took a mature player with a live nd pick inside the top 50. they took a bloke who actually banged the door down whos skills set is something most of our players dream about. he warranted pick 42.  no other club apart from the rfc was interested in taking a mature player with a live pick  in the nd.

Taking the 18 yoa means in all likely hood Gordon would have Ben unavailable at our third pick.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
Not sure claw watches SANFL. Gordon had more impressive games than Fuller.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Not sure claw watches SANFL. Gordon had more impressive games than Fuller.

He's too busy watch oakliegh religiously

And yet was unaware of where aarnot played