Author Topic: Sam Lloyd [merged]  (Read 82232 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 66: Sam Lloyd
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
Deniliquin's Sam Lloyd shines for VFL in state match.

Former Deniliquin Rams footballer Sam Lloyd kicked four goals for the VFL in its state match against the WAFL on Saturday.

By Shaun Connor
Pastoral Times
MAY 15, 2013

Wearing the famous ‘Big V’ for the first time in his career, ex-Deniliquin Rams footballer Sam Lloyd was a standout player in the VFL’s grudge match against the WAFL on Saturday.

The 23 year-old, who plays for the Frankston Dolphins in the VFL, booted four goals and was named one of Victoria’s best players in the interstate game, arguably the highest level of football underneath the AFL.

Despite his team losing by three goals, Lloyd said the match, which was played at Northam in Western Australia, was the pinnacle of his short career so far.

‘‘It was definitely a highlight of my career, I loved it,’’ the two-time Deni Rams best and fairest said.

‘‘The standard was pretty similar to the VFL but the ball moved a bit quicker.

‘‘We only had a week to prepare so there wasn’t any structures or anything.’’

The VFL led by as much as 31 points midway through the third quarter, but was unable to stop the WAFL’s run and forward pressure in the final term.

It was the first time the Black Swans have beaten Victoria since 1991.

‘‘To be honest I think they just wanted it a bit more. They hadn’t won it in 22 years,’’ Lloyd said.

‘‘We were up by five goals at one point so that was a bit disappointing.’’

Lloyd, who kicked 110 goals for the Rams in 2010, started in the forward pocket and rotated off half forward.

With the WAFL missing five shots in a row early on, the VFL had shot out to a 22-point lead by quarter time.

The Victorians maintained their momentum in the second term, in which Lloyd nailed two goals to give his side a 25-point buffer at the long break.

The second half was a different story for the VFL, which kicked two of the first three goals to lead by 31 points.

After that, the Black Swans turned the game on its head, booting the next four goals to get within six points.

A late goal saw Victoria still in the lead by 14 points at three-quarter time, with Lloyd adding another two majors in the third term.

The WAFL kicked five goals to none in the last quarter, though, to run out 17.16 (118) to 15.11 (101) winners.

Chris Cain was named the Frank Johnson medallist for the VFL with 32 disposals, while other better players were backmen Marcus Marigliani and Evan Panozza, Lloyd up forward and Myles Sewell, who collected 27 disposals.

Having impressed on the big stage, Lloyd is tipped to be on the AFL draft horizon later this year.

Essendon has been an admirer of Frankston talent in recent times with Michael Hibberd, Mark Baguley and Dylan Van Unen currently at the club.

‘‘He’s a small forward but he plays fairly tall so he can take a good grab and he’s good on the ground,’’ Frankston coach Simon Goosey, who is also a part-time scout for Essendon, said of Lloyd.

‘‘He’s coming along really well.’’

Lloyd, who played in the Rams’ 2011 flag, has been named in the Dolphins’ best in three out of five games. He has kicked 11 goals, including a bag of four against North Ballarat, and is averaging 15 possessions and seven marks per game.

http://www.mmg.com.au/local-sport/deniliquin/deniliquin-s-sam-lloyd-shines-for-vfl-in-state-match-1.49468

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
surely this bloke would have been available to us as a rookie. or why not keep petterd as a rookie  take him and have the extra pick geez there were some promising kids available late.. dunno i still get the feeling we are continually reaching for players rather than staying patient.

I dont get it either.  Why National draft for this guy?  Psd or Rookie

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »
Slamming Sam  :clapping

Will be a 300+ game player

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
surely this bloke would have been available to us as a rookie. or why not keep petterd as a rookie  take him and have the extra pick geez there were some promising kids available late.. dunno i still get the feeling we are continually reaching for players rather than staying patient.

Because we rated him a better prospect than the left over kids in a shallow draft?

the claw

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
FFS claw. I can't follow you. We pick kids and you say late picks hide gems that play in other leagues such as state leagues. We pick bigger bodied older guys and you ask why we didn't pick skinny kids.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND SON!!!!!!
hey hey hey im not against getting gordon or lloyd. in fact im happy we have given them a go. but i am concerned about only taking 1 18 yr old. if you think the talent is there you still take the kids  geez jon marsh please. at pick 50.

yes we took a couple of state leaguers and thats great but when you only have picks 12 50 and 66 with pick 28 already gone on a 26 yr old id say a bit of balance is the way to go and pick 50 probably should have gone on a kid.
 thing is im all for state league recruits but not at any cost. all im saying is i think we needed to balance it out a bit.  i dont think any other club took a mature player after pick 50 with a live pick.  this suggests to me we could well have taken a kid at 50 and still got gordon and lloyd with just a small amount of tinkering.

tony_montana

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
Perhaps they'll gop for 3 18 y/o's in the rookie draft for balance - we'll see

the claw

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »

Because we rated him a better prospect than the left over kids in a shallow draft?
well my opinion is i think we could have the best of both worlds. there was kids there worth taking just ask the clubs who used live picks on kids after pick 50.

imo the whole trade and now nd period leaves a lot to be desired. im certain we could have donre it better.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
But was there talented 18 years old @ 50 ?

Why were they overlooked 49 times

the claw

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »

other clubs obviously thought so. why players are overlooked well none of us are privvy to that info. jonathon marsh would be the outstanding athlete of the draft imo and he had a great u18championship showing he can match it against the best kids in the land. he didnt get over looked because of talent it had to be something else.
 if anyone tells me a player like marsh is not worth taking a punt on with pick 50 or 66 then you will never ever take a punt. there were kids available who met some pretty big needs of our club but we chose to ignore them.
imo we took some mature players instead and while im happy to have em i think we took em too early.

tony_montana

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »

other clubs obviously thought so. why players are overlooked well none of us are privvy to that info. jonathon marsh would be the outstanding athlete of the draft imo and he had a great u18championship showing he can match it against the best kids in the land. he didnt get over looked because of talent it had to be something else.
 if anyone tells me a player like marsh is not worth taking a punt on with pick 50 or 66 then you will never ever take a punt. there were kids available who met some pretty big needs of our club but we chose to ignore them.
imo we took some mature players instead and while im happy to have em i think we took em too early.

yeah pies couldn't believe he was available so changed their minds and took the extra pick at 77 or whatever it was. Better to do that than promise rookies like Pettard he's being elevated. Just wait you never know who will slide.

dwaino

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
Already smashing the tinnies down.  :lol

Massive upgrade on King IMO. Will be like Jamie Elliot. Would people trade pick 66 for a bigger Jamie Elliot? X-factor in spades and hasn't had the coaching and full-time environment up until this year. Huge scope. Was really hoping we'd get him here thinking he'd probably be best available on my rankings and also fills a need.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
With proper coaching and good facilities hopefully turns out to be an inspired choice.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
RECRUITED AS A FORWARD!!!!!!

Watch the RFC try to turn him into a backman and stuff him up.. :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »
Lol wat :lol