Author Topic: Ashes Tour  (Read 13861 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ashes Tour
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2005, 04:12:07 AM »
Having them 7 down for 319 isn't such a bad effort on that flat pitch when they were 0/82 then 4/276.  Warney carrying the bowling attack yet again. McGrath was either rushed back in or he's lost a yard of pace.  Flintoff owns us when it comes to first innings this series. If we could have got him out early England would have struggled to get 250.

We need those last 3 wickets cheaply tomorrow otherwise 350+ will be a tough total to overhaul given our batting frailties.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2005, 04:34:11 AM »
Another day ruined by bad light. Unless a miracle happens tomorrow night then it's goodnight ashes :P.

Had to laugh when the English supporters all put up their umbrellas up to con the umpires into thinking it was raining  and the Aussies supporters in response all took off their shirts like it was midsummer :rollin.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:51 AM »
Jakeys $750 is looking pretty good  :thumbsup

I'm a scotsman at heart .....

Ox

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »
This is great.
Jake makes 750 and those cokhed Aussie cricketers get all they deserve.
 :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2005, 04:56:46 AM »
When you twice drop sitters in the slips off a guy who then goes on to make 158 you don't deserve to win.

Sums up the series. Lots of ifs and coodabeens for the Aussies but in the end not good enough and with too many passengers. Ponting's captaincy while safe for the meantime could be under pressure you'd reckon if he has another poor series decision-wise back home.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2005, 01:03:59 PM »
When you twice drop sitters in the slips off a guy who then goes on to make 158 you don't deserve to win.

Sums up the series. Lots of ifs and coodabeens for the Aussies but in the end not good enough and with too many passengers. Ponting's captaincy while safe for the meantime could be under pressure you'd reckon if he has another poor series decision-wise back home.

The Ashes were gone when Warne dropped Pieterson when he was 15 :banghead :banghead

I don't think Ponting is any danger of losing the captaincy but I think we might need to get used to the idea of more pain. I actually feel for Ponting - he may have to face what Border had to deal with when he became Captain. :-\

The blokes who should be under scrutiny are the selectors. They haven't made a tough decision for years and more importantly with the exception of Clarke and to a much much lesser extent Tait - they haven't blooded any young players for the future - that's going to hurt us now. I think that there are a number of players who will be lucky to see out the summer.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2005, 01:25:05 PM »
Drop.

Martyn.

NOW!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2005, 04:45:47 PM »
I don't think Ponting is any danger of losing the captaincy but I think we might need to get used to the idea of more pain. I actually feel for Ponting - he may have to face what Border had to deal with when he became Captain. :-\

Yeah there are similarities to when Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all retired in a short space of time. If we fall away as badly as we did then in the 80s then it's going to take 5-6 years at least before we put another decent team together.

The selectors didn't find a medium pace bowler for the tour. Sure Warney and McGrath have tormented England previously but in England guys like Alderman, Moody and Reiffel have thrived. Yep WP, they have a lot to answer for.

Despite that Ponting still had a poor test series as captain. Sending England in on the first day of the second test on a good pitch, his reactive field placings and then even last night allowing Lee to continually bowl short especially at the tail ::) were major stuff-ups. Why against poorer batsman would you take away the chance to bowl them or get them out LBW. Sure they may get bat on some but at that pace one miss and their out :banghead
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 04:47:54 PM by mightytiges »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2005, 06:08:14 PM »
Bring back Deano  :bow

Can't believe we let that pelican Pietersen roger us on the last day.

MARTYN - GONE
HAYDEN - GONE (Yes you made a hundred but it was slow even by Javed Miandad's standards - Playing for himself not the what the team required)
GILLESPIE - Cut your hair and pull your fist out your clacker!

ROFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOO@us going off on day 3 for bad light. Bunch of softies. We deserved to lose just off that decision.