Author Topic: Richmond off to Warrnambool for community cap --- Feb. 4-5  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond off to Warrnambool for community cap --- Feb. 4-5
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
Conca, Darrou & Greg Mellor took our local Hawks JFC for training last night and were brilliant.  Very informative & great with the kids who allowed heaps of Q & A.  Couple of names who may play early were McIntosh & Gordon

Had a supporters group function also with McBean, Rance, Lade hosted by the Flea which was great.  If anyone lives around the area and wants to join the South West Tigers PM me your email address and I will email you with the details.  Will be up and running by season start. 
The name most likely to debut was Sam Lloyd on the night, Gordon & Lennon also mentioned.

Training this morning short and sharp (45 mins , skills looked good. Knights & Stephenson running laps, Arnot, Conca trained fully.  (Reece be right by NAB 2).  No King, Maric, Griffiths, Jackson (not sure why they didnt make the trip).
If McBean is not the best field kick for a big man then I will go hee. 
All in all a great visit by the team and everyone involved very couteous and professional.
Any questions fire away and I will do my best to answer.

Did anyone surprise you pmac with their size, skills or attitude?

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Cheers for that Pmac.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
Conca, Darrou & Greg Mellor took our local Hawks JFC for training last night and were brilliant.  Very informative & great with the kids who allowed heaps of Q & A.  Couple of names who may play early were McIntosh & Gordon

Had a supporters group function also with McBean, Rance, Lade hosted by the Flea which was great.  If anyone lives around the area and wants to join the South West Tigers PM me your email address and I will email you with the details.  Will be up and running by season start. 
The name most likely to debut was Sam Lloyd on the night, Gordon & Lennon also mentioned.

Training this morning short and sharp (45 mins , skills looked good. Knights & Stephenson running laps, Arnot, Conca trained fully.  (Reece be right by NAB 2).  No King, Maric, Griffiths, Jackson (not sure why they didnt make the trip).
If McBean is not the best field kick for a big man then I will go hee. 
All in all a great visit by the team and everyone involved very couteous and professional.
Any questions fire away and I will do my best to answer.

Did anyone surprise you pmac with their size, skills or attitude?
Attitude of the whole group was terrific, a few little negatives about Dusty's attitude from others but put it down to shyness. 
The kicking of Lennon, McDonough, A Edwards & Arnot was very good.  I could see them as centre square players later down the track.
Astbury is a great size and trained well.  Newman & Foley very good also. 
Reiwoldt kept yelling out "go hurricanes" the whole session at Grigg & Lids who are Stars fans
Vickery cleaned up a coach in a handball drill and the players thought that was great as did the crowd
I will say it again but McBean is going to be a superstar. I have seen a lot of footy and his skills are sensational.  Great young bloke to boot. 
Just quietly Darrou a dark horse for round 1

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
You're a champion pmac! Thanks for all the insight. I'm hoping you're right about McBean. Will be a lot of competition for the forwardline this year but I praying he locks in a spot.  :cheers

tony_montana

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
good stuff pmac  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 03:34:55 AM »
Ocean of yellow and black flows into town
By Aidan Fawkes
Warrnambool Standard
Feb. 5, 2014

THEY’RE something else, those Richmond fans.

Hundreds of the Tigers’ loyal army converged on Reid Oval yesterday afternoon to get a glimpse of their favourite players in the flesh.
See your ad here

Nearly every member of the Richmond list was at the Cramer Street ground to run a super clinic as part of the Tigers’ AFL community camp.

The spectacle temporarily turned Warrnambool — traditional Geelong heartland — into a sea of yellow and black.

Scarves and jumpers — many with Dustin Martin’s number four on the back — were common, as were cameras and smartphones to record the day.

Most of the fans were budding youngsters taking part in the clinics, honing their skills under the guidance of their football idols.

But others such as Port Fairy’s Alicia Drew, a 27-year-old football junkie and lifelong Richmond supporter, were there for the players.

Drew, the coach of the Western Rebels’ youth girls’ football program, said the AFL club coming to Warrnambool was “awesome, amazing, emotional”.

“I love it,” she said of being a Richmond supporter.

‘‘It’s disheartening at times but there’s nothing bad about it. I love the stick that people give you when you say you’re a Richmond fan.

“(They say) ‘you’re not, are you’.”

Drew said she still got nervous watching Richmond in action — a consequence of her beloved Tigers coming so close to success over the years.

They reached the elimination final in 2013 after finishing fifth.

But that came after missing finals the previous 11 seasons, finishing ninth twice.

“There’s no-one like a Richmond supporter,” Drew said.

‘‘The unwavering loyalty isn’t something you see at a lot of clubs.

Also among the crowd was Warrnambool’s Grant Howland, another long-time Richmond supporter.

Howland said the Tigers’ visit to Warrnambool coincided with a group of fans trying to establish a south-west Tigers’ supporter group.

He attended a fans’ function at Reid Oval last night with the hope of having a committee in place before the night was out.

“We feel there are probably upwards of 300 Richmond members and supporters in the district,” he said.

“We’d like to run two or three local functions, a family day and a sportsman’s night, and one or two bus trips down to Melbourne as well.”

Howland said the concept had the support of Richmond officials.

Similar supporters’ groups exist in Mildura, Ballarat and Geelong.

“Hopefully with an improved showing from the Tigers last year there will be a few supporters emerge from the woodwork,” he said.

But the fan of the day award, if there was one, belonged to Warrnambool teenager Caitlin Kavanagh.

Caitlin, 14, watched the clinic from the sidelines with her Richmond-mad family — parents Paul and Cindy and sister Erin, 12.

When asked who her favourite player was, her answer was instant: “Dustin Martin”.

“He’s my husband,” she said while pulling her smartphone from her pocket.  “This is our wedding photo”.

They’re something else, those Richmond fans.

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2066988/gallery-ocean-of-yellow-and-black-flows-into-town/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
Lol Geelong heartland  ::)
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Great stuff Pmac, appreciated  :clapping :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »
Cheers for the report pmac  :cheers.

Talk about a meteoric rise for Lloyd if he debuts. From country footy to VFL to AFL in the space of 18 months if he plays. I've heard good reports over preseason from a couple of people about Gordon. Did you hear similar things at the supporters' night function, pmac? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
Rance and lade both mentioned Lloyd had lost a heap of weight and made smart choices with ball in hand.

Gordon not much detail other than very fit individual. 

I felt as though Lloyd more a chance as he offers us something a bit different up forward